Windows 10: Swapping to ssd?

Discus and support Swapping to ssd? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AyeYoItsMateo, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Swapping to ssd?

I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd?

submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AyeYoItsMateo, Aug 30, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Aug 30, 2020
  3. ddgm91 Win User
    Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

After reading the supplied link, I went through the recommended steps and it shows " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" on both PCs.I guess I just have to have the fortitude to make the SSD swap. Still, a little leary of doing it. I suppose what I'm really looking for is confirmation that it's going to be fool proof.

ddgm91, Aug 30, 2020
  4. yurnero Win User

Swapping to ssd?

Getting windows to recognize new SSD after cloning and swapping

Today I cloned my SSD (some OCZ Vertex where Windows 10 x64 is installed) to a bigger SSD (some Crucial M500) then swapped the drives. (I followed this guide, pretty much step-by-step.)

Everything has gone smoothly except that when I go to Device Manager, the old SSD is still listed under Disk drives:

Swapping to ssd? fL9nP.png

I have ran a benchmark with AS SSD Benchmark and got numbers that match those for the Crucial M500. So does it matter that Device Manager has the wrong name? If I'd like Windows to recognize the new drive properly and display as such under Device Manager, how would I do that please?

yurnero, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Swapping to ssd?

1. Swapping to ssd? - Similar Threads - Swapping ssd

2. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  3. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  4. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.: This is a comprehensive list of all the things that I have tried to make full copies of a SSD. At first, I attempted to do what is known as an “xcopy” which will make an exact copy however it will not copy the following files along with the error...
  5. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.: This is a comprehensive list of all the things that I have tried to make full copies of a SSD. At first, I attempted to do what is known as an “xcopy” which will make an exact copy however it will not copy the following files along with the error...
  6. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...: in 2021, the drive 256 gb samsung replaced a full 128 gb wd. this 256 gb samsung was put in another pc where it stayed til 2 weeks ago when it died. I removed SSD from dead machine and dropped it back in original pc. It booted right up, was able to log in using Microsoft pin...
  8. swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...: in 2021, the drive 256 gb samsung replaced a full 128 gb wd. this 256 gb samsung was put in another pc where it stayed til 2 weeks ago when it died. I removed SSD from dead machine and dropped it back in original pc. It booted right up, was able to log in using Microsoft pin...
  9. swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...

10. Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licenses and swapping SSD's with Windows 10 and Windows 11: I've got some questions about licenses and a clean install of Windows 11.I'm using a HP laptop that until recently contained an SSD NVMe M.2 let's call that SSD "SSD1" with Windows 10 Professional installed with an OEM license. Windows 10 was installed on this laptop when I...