Windows 10: Swapping windows licences between computers

Discus and support Swapping windows licences between computers in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I just got another computer and I would like to transfer the Windows key from my old computer. On the old one, I installed OEM Windows 7 key CD box... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by olmichal, Mar 7, 2021.

1. olmichal Win User

Swapping windows licences between computers

Hi, I just got another computer and I would like to transfer the Windows key from my old computer. On the old one, I installed OEM Windows 7 key CD box and upgraded it to Windows 10. Using cmd I checked that my Windows 10 is a retail version, but AIDA64 software showed me that my current Windows 10 product key differs from the original one from the box. Am I able to switch the key to another PC using Windows 7 or Windows 10 key or do I have to get a new key?

:)

olmichal, Mar 7, 2021
  2. jscott21 Win User

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Hello,

I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations:

Desktop

• Originally came with Windows Vista
    • Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD
    • upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
    Laptop

• Originally came with Windows 8
    • Upgraded to Windows 8.1 via download
    • upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Home

What I am looking to do is have the Laptop switch licence to Windows 10 Pro and the desktop to Windows 10 Home. Would I be able to complete this?

I appreciate any help with this, Thanks!

jscott21, Mar 7, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Hi jscott21

If either of those devices came with Windows pre-installed, then that is an OEM licence, which is locked to the original motherboard and you will be unable to swap those licences . . .

If both devices have a retail licence (purchased separately to the device) then you can swap over those licences . . .

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 Product key swap

Hi Andre

You can only swap over those licences, if both licences are Retail licences (purchased separately to the PC's), if those licences came pre-installed on those PC's, they do not have transfer rights

If those are retail licences, upgrading the Home SL to Pro will be easy, you can use a generic Pro key, however, downgrading the Pro licence to Home SL will require a full clean install of Windows Home SL

If those licences are retail licences, please let me know and we can go through the steps to swap those over . . .

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Swapping windows licences between computers - Similar Threads - Swapping licences between

2. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  3. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  4. Swapping MB/CPU between two PC's with digital licences

Swapping MB/CPU between two PC's with digital licences: I have two desktop PCs. One for my office, one for my Son's games. One is an 1151 socket intel CPU the other an 1150 intel. As my office machine is 25% more powerful than the games machine I want to swap over the MB/CPU/memory between them to give my Son some more power...
  5. Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?: So I recently bought a laptop, which has a license for Windows 10 Pro, while my main desktop has the standard home edition. Both are registered (as far as I know) to my MS account. Is it possible to transfer the Pro license to my desktop where it will be more useful, and the...
  6. Digital licence swap between two devices?

Digital licence swap between two devices?: Hello! I have two digital licences Windows 10 Home and Pro retail licence linked to my Microsoft account, both of them in use. On my desktop computer runs the Pro version and on my laptop that I mostly use in a different city, where my University is, since my desktop...
  7. Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers: Hello, I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations: Desktop Originally came with Windows Vista Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Laptop...
  8. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  9. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers: I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project...
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...