Windows 10: Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

Discus and support Swapping Windows licenses between two computers in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bojie, Nov 30, 2018.

1. bojie Win User

Swapping Windows licenses between two computers

I know something like this has been asked before but my question is ever so slightly different

First computer AMD desktop, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate original promotional DVD given by Microsoft, I was actually given 5 of these for various project involvements with Microsoft). I have the discs, boxes and both 32/64 bit versions of the DVD

Second computer INTEL desktop, Windows 10 Home (upgraded from a retail boxed NON-OEM version of Windows 8.1). I have the box and 32/64 bit DVDs

The motherboard on the AMD desktop died. All other hardware survived. The AMD is the primary computer while the Intel is the secondary computer. Due to the type of work I do, I sometimes require bitlocker on the primary desktop, hence the need for PRO

Scenario 1.

Make the Intel computer the new primary pc. Swap the pro license with the home license. Is this possible?

Scenario 2.

Try and obtain a new motherboard for the AMD desktop. However, since this is an older machine, I may not be able to get the exact same chipset or motherboard manufacturer. Windows may detect a drastic hardware change and refuse to activate. This runs a 890X chipset which runs 3 video cards which I need for GPU computing (not gaming). I may have a hard time finding a replacement motherboard. Eventually, Will I be able to migrate my license of Win10 pro to this machine successfully?

Both machines are now activated with a digital license and neither machine is attached to a microsoft account.

Basically I am left with two options:

1. Leave Win10 home on Intel machine #1 and try and reactivate Win10 Pro on a new AMD motherboard

2. Make the intel machine the new main machine. Swap licenses so I can run PRO on this machine and then when I am able to find a replacement AMD mobo, transfer the HOME license to that machine.

Thanks for any suggestions

:)

bojie, Nov 30, 2018

2. Swapping licenses

DaveM121

I don't want to buy a new license, I want Microsoft to offer me the opportunity to swap my Windows 10 license with a Windows 7 one. For the drivers it's not a big deal because I know how to update them individually with Intel and Lenovo.

Thanks anyway!

M1racl3sHapp3n, Nov 30, 2018
  3. ddgm91 Win User
    Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

After reading the supplied link, I went through the recommended steps and it shows " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" on both PCs.I guess I just have to have the fortitude to make the SSD swap. Still, a little leary of doing it. I suppose what I'm really looking for is confirmation that it's going to be fool proof.

ddgm91, Nov 30, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Swapping SSDs in 2 Computers

What options do you have? If you swap the SSD's and can't get them to activate Windows, then swap them back. Or buy a second license for Windows 10 Pro and run Pro on both computers.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Swapping Windows licenses between two computers - Similar Threads - Swapping licenses between

2. Moving Windows licenses between two computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows licenses between two computers: I am wondering if it is possible to transfer a Windows 10 Pro license that I purchased as an upgrade to an OEM Windows license to another computer with a Windows 11 OEM Home version. Then move the Home version to the computer currently running Pro. On both computers the...
  3. License swapped between the devices

License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  4. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  5. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to swap Windows licenses between computers?: So I recently bought a laptop, which has a license for Windows 10 Pro, while my main desktop has the standard home edition. Both are registered (as far as I know) to my MS account. Is it possible to transfer the Pro license to my desktop where it will be more useful, and the...
  7. Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers

Swap Licences between two Windows 10 computers: Hello, I am looking to swap the licences on my laptop and desktop. Here are the current configurations: Desktop Originally came with Windows Vista Purchased & installed Windows 7 Home via 32bit DVD upgraded through Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Laptop...
  8. How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers

How can I swap two digital licenses between two computers: Hello there, Currently I have two notebooks with two Retail digital licenses linked to my personal account: 1) Windows 10 Pro - on my old laptop, previously updated from the Windows 7 Pro (Product key still available, but I'm not sure is it can be used after upgrading to...
  9. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  10. Swapping Disks Between Two Computers

Swapping Disks Between Two Computers: For various weird reasons I have the need to swap the hard drives (SSD) between two similar Thinkpads. They are architecturally similar so I'm reasonably sure that after a few routine automatic driver updates both will run fine. Of course, at that point both will...