Windows 10: Swiching to a nvme ssd

Discus and support Swiching to a nvme ssd in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When switching from a HDD SSD to NVMe SSD as the C:\ drive in a working same system (with everything else in the same system remaining the same) will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MarvinKapus, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Swiching to a nvme ssd

When switching from a HDD SSD to NVMe SSD as the C:\ drive in a working same system (with everything else in the same system remaining the same) will Windows 10 pro require reactivation?

:)

MarvinKapus, Aug 12, 2019

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Windows refuses to install on NVME SSD (Samsung 960 EVO)

First, thanks everyone who copy-pasted the first relevant results they found in Google. I found those before I asked the question.

The solution that I got to work is as follows:

• Disable CSM / UEFI
    • Enable Secure Boot
    • Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
      • Format the drive
      • Restart the machine

• Enable CSM / UEFI

• Disable Secure Boot

• Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

MikeIsMike, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Swiching to a nvme ssd

Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Swiching to a nvme ssd

1. Swiching to a nvme ssd - Similar Threads - Swiching nvme ssd

2. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  3. Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop: Hi I have an old 2013ish desktop rig, which still serves me well for office and multimedia purposes and I have a new NVMe SSD drive primarily seen in use with new notebooks but for now I would like to use it in my desktop. I do not have the required slot as far as I am...
  4. WD SN750 nvme SSD

WD SN750 nvme SSD: Hello everyone Just yesterday updated my HP 15-CS0053cl laptop to nvme SSD but the read speeds are not reaching more than 1.7GB/s and there is no option in bios for hardware settings, kindly help me to get the max use of my SSD Regards [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  5. WD SN750 nvme SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    WD SN750 nvme SSD: Hello everyone Just yesterday updated my HP 15-CS0053cl laptop to nvme SSD but the read speeds are not reaching more than 1.7GB/s and there is no option in bios for hardware settings, kindly help me to get the max use of my SSD Regards [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. NVME SSD not working on Windows 10

NVME SSD not working on Windows 10: I put the module into the m.2 slot , it didn't show up in explorer. I brought up disk manager and device manager but neither showed my SSD. Then I checked in BIOS setup and found it was recognized. Then I swapped the slots of my boot drive and the new SSD, but the problem...
  7. Swich my card information

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Swich my card information: How can switch my card information https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/swich-my-card-information/aa0014be-f3b8-4f30-af54-c38bb812f2be
  8. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...
  9. Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive: I recently made the jump to the paid version on MReflect after my satisfaction with the FREE version (thnx in part to the guides & help on this forum); and,was wondering how useful the Changed Block Tracker feature/driver of MReflect is on a PC with an SSD drive (specifically...
  10. Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep?: Hello all, I know there are countless guides out there for optimizing SSDs yada yada and I know most state that you shouldn't put your SSD to sleep and I haven't in the past (on my 850 Pro or 840 Evo prior to that) but I just got a M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSD the other day and was...