Windows 10: Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop

Discus and support Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Why swiping/shifting around virtual desktop also shifts the image of the main desktop screen. Shouldn't it only shift the front active... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MUKUND16, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop

/u/MUKUND16, Mar 22, 2020
  2. wagz0603 Win User

Windows 10 Disable Right-Swipe to Virtual Desktop

Like the title says, every time I swipe to the right with my mouse on the desktop, it opens up the virtual desktop mode, which is super annoying when playing a game and it pops you out of it. Is there any way to disable that swipe setting?

Apologies if this is a repeat question, everything I've seen about the subject relates to Surface or other touch screen devices, nothing on the desktop.

I have the latest updates to Windows 10.

Thank you.

wagz0603, Mar 22, 2020
  3. NOT WORKING: Reset This PC, Action Center swipe, Virtual Desktop swipe, updating drivers manually.

Well met,

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 only yesterday on both my Surface Pro 3 and Laptop.

On the Surface Pro 3:

Seeing as I'm used to downloading/installing driver updates (audio, graphics, chipset drivers) manually through Guru3D.com, I did just that to keep updated with the latest of the latest. After updating the audio and graphics drivers (exact same drivers
    that've WORKED on Windows 8.1 Pro on this SAME Surface Pro 3), the Surface Pro 3 started mucking about.
    • Screen brightness could not be changed (always at 100%).
    • Intel Graphics Control Panel (which is installed along with the driver) wouldn't open at all, and also didn't install properly (no desktop or start shortcut).
    • I'd get a notification that Windows Defender wasn't on, when it clearly was on.
    From these whack issues, I got the impression that with Windows 10, I'm not supposed to update/install drivers myself; I'm supposed to have Windows 10 update it all for me. To correct these mishaps:

• I attempted to 'RESET THIS PC' through 'Recovery' within 'Update & Security'.
    • This option, DOES NOT WORK; gives me message stating "Could not find the recovery environment - Insert your Windows installation or recovery media, and restart your PC with the media" (I don't understand why I can't simply reset, I could and HAVE done it
      many times on this same Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 Pro, to correct any issues).
    • So, I had to go back to Windows 8.1 Pro, and RE-upgrade to Windows 10 to make certain nothing was mucked up.

QUESTIONS:

• With Windows 10, am I NOT SUPPOSED to update drivers myself, and just have Windows 10 update it all automatically for me?
    • AND, why can I not reset my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10? Will this be available in a future update so as I can do a 'clean install' without mucking about with other methods (as reported all over the internet, other methods render Windows 10 inactivated)

On the laptop:

• Learned not to update drivers from the Surface Pro 3 mishaps, just upgraded to Windows 10 and let the automatic updates do their thing.
    • After absolutely no more updates were available, the 'ACTION CENTER' (new sidebar on right side of screen that replaces the Windows 8 'charms bar') stopped working completely.
    • When I first upgraded to Windows 10, I could access the 'Action Center' by moving my mouse to the right edge of the screen, after all updates this is not possible any longer.
    • The same issue is with the 'VIRTUAL DESKTOP'. I can no longer activate the 'Virtual Desktop' by swiping from the left edge of the screen with my mouse (even though I CAN access it with the keyboard command 'win+tab').
    Note: I CAN perform/activate the 'Action Center' sidebar and 'Virtual Desktop' with edge of screen swipes on my Surface Pro 3 perfectly fine.

Question: How in the nine hells do I get the 'Action Center' sidebar and 'Virtual Desktop' to work with swiping with my mouse on my laptop?

Much gratitude for any assistance at all.

Jen'ari Daephius, Mar 22, 2020
  4. sirBait Win User

Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop

Virtual desktops

In the article you linked it says talks about 4 goals Microsoft has with virtual desktops:

• Give you more desktop space to group related windows
    • Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows
    • Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve
    • Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows
    Not being able to control what desktop the program opens on really doesn't fit in with these goals.

Give me one good reason for why it is suppose force me to change virtual desktop when I open a program, just one good reason and I will consider to drop the issue. To me this sounds like virtual desktops isn't ready yet and you refuse to acknowledge that
    there are bugs, because this makes it very hard to work with multiply virtual desktops.

sirBait, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop

1. Swiping/Shifting around Virtual desktop - Similar Threads - Swiping Shifting around

2. Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops: Hi there, With the new windows update, I am unable to create new virtual desktops using keyboard shortcuts and task view, as well as being unable to switch between them. Would like a fix, please....
  3. virtual desktop

virtual desktop: hello im trying to tern off virtual desktop when i miss click the win key and tap i did try regedit to disable it and i did try Gpedit.msc i heat this virtual desktop and i need help even if u can help me deleted i will appreciated...
  4. virtual desktops

virtual desktops: I want to use a virtual desktop for some of my apps that I currently have on my main desktop. I do not know how to move the apps from the main desktop to the virtual one. Please help....
  5. 4 finger swipe (switch virtual desktops) causes glitches

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4 finger swipe (switch virtual desktops) causes glitches: I'm working a laptop with touchpad that support Windows Precision Drivers, and I'm using the four fingers swipe a lot. But I noticed that when I start to swipe the bottom bar, which is normally semi-transparent and blurring the background image becomes just semi-transparent...
  6. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I just created a second virtual desktop, but all I get out of it is a mirror image of the original desktop. Whatever I do on one shows up on the other. How can I make the desktops independent of each other? Thanks, Bill...
  7. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I have created more than 13 000 virtual desktops (don't ask how and why, because I can), and my computer works slow. How can I close all this desktops in one click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-desktops/6b930387-6d82-4d5b-8580-1e84356b20c1
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  9. Disable the right swipe virtual desktop "feature" of windows 10

Disable the right swipe virtual desktop "feature" of windows 10: This is the most annoying thing in windows 10. When I move my finger to the right on the trackpad, the current window shrinks and I see some virtual desktop. I want that to never happen again. How can I disable this?? Thanks!...
  10. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...