Windows 10: switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Discus and support switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Katie Witkin, Jan 17, 2019.

1. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since the SSD is Disk 1 the Ubuntu install goes directly to Disk 0 because Disk 0 is first on the list. How can I switch the two Disks so my SSD drive is Disk 0? Thanks.

:)

Katie Witkin, Jan 17, 2019

2. Allocating memory from disk 1 to disk 0

So i am wondering how i allocate memory from my disk 1 partition which has 931 gb of unallocated memory to my disk 0 partition which contains my C drive that has only 111 gb I keep getting the low disk space message so i would like to allocate memory
    from the disk 1 partition to the primary disk 0 partition how would i go about this ?

DionRiutta, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Disk 1 and Disk 2 Switch When Disk 2 Installed

I have a dual-boot system and just replaced my primary HDD with a SSD. Because my computer insisted on installing the System Reserved partition on the alternate boot HDD, I removed the other 5 HDDs while I clean installed Windows 10 on the new primary SSD.
    That worked. System Reserved is in Partition 1 and Windows 10 is in Partition 2 of Disk 0 (the new SSD).

I then shutdown, reconnected Disk 1, and completed a clean install of Windows 10. That worked out fine. Windows added a selector to choose between the two Windows systems. All seemed well.

I shutdown again, reconnected Disk 2-5 and restarted. As I recall everything looked fine until I restarted again. When I shutdown Windows displayed an update dialog "Don't shut down your PC" that lasted for a few minutes after which time the PC restarted.
    When I checked Disk Management Disks 1 & 2 had switched and the Alternate Boot Disk is now Disk 2.

I have checked and rechecked the cabling for the 6 SATA cables and they are correct. Also, any time I choose the Alternate Boot Disk in the Windows boot selector, the PC restarts and then boots the Alternate Boot Disk which significantly delays the boot
    process.

I built this computer in 2009. It has BIOS and a dated i7 920 processor. The BIOS can boot from a USB connected HDD but not a USB flash drive. So, I've been using ISO DVDs for installing Windows 10.

Since this post, I have gone through all of the BIOS setup screens and found that Disk 0 is SATA CH0 Master, Disk 1 is SATA CH0 Slave and Disk 2 is SATA 1 Master. The first two disk in the boot order were SATA CH0 Master and SA2A CH1 Master. I thought that
    might be what caused the Disk 1/2 switch so I promoted SATA CH0 Slave to number two. However, I've rebooted several times looking for Disk 2 (CH0 Slave) to switch back to Disk 1 but it hasn't happened.

What's causing this and is there anything I can do about it?

Would reverting the HDD boot order to CH0 Master and CH1 Master, and also moving the Alternate Boot Disk to the CH1 Master work? Does BIOS/Windows number the disk in the following order: (#0) CH0 Master, (#1) CH1 Master, (#2) CH0 Slave, (#3) CH1 Slave, (#4)
    CH2 Master, (#5) CH3 Master? That would match what I'm seeing.

Thanks.

Bill

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

B_Phillips, Jan 17, 2019
  4. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Cannot merge C drive (disk 0) with unallocated space (on disk 1)

You cannot combine space from two separate physical disks. You have two choices:

1. Replace your C drive (disk 0) with a larger disk, or

2. Move some of the files from the C drive to a D drive on disk 1. Be very careful moving files from C to D; moving the wrong files can render your PC inoperable.

Alan Russell, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

1. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0 - Similar Threads - switch disk numbers

2. Autounattend should automatically take My SSD as Disk 0 and HDD as Disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Autounattend should automatically take My SSD as Disk 0 and HDD as Disk 1: I am Using Lenovo Legion Y530. I want to clean install Windows with Autounattend.Xml Answer File as GPT. My Laptop Contains 1 Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD and 1 Hard Disk 1TB. When I enter Disk 0 Wipe True in my Autounatten.xml Answer File. Then It will Wipe Which Drive SSD or...
  3. How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0?: How to combine disk 1 and disk 0? Or how take the volume from disk 1 to disk 0? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-combine-disk-1-and-disk-0-or-how-take-the/3eed52f7-3b97-42c9-af39-f5b6a9afccc7
  4. Disk stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk stays at 0%: Noticed that my Edge was a little slow loading images or opening other web sites. Went to Task Manager and found Disk stays at 0%. "NOT 100%". Have had the 100% on a lot of customers but never the opposite. Try Googling that and you'll get a ton of entries but they all have...
  5. Disk stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk stays at 0%: Noticed that my Edge was a little slow loading images or opening other web sites. Went to Task Manager and found Disk stays at 0%. "NOT 100%". Have had the 100% on a lot of customers but never the opposite. Try Googling that and you'll get a ton of entries but they all have...
  6. MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1): Hi there, I keep getting this error when trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT. I had a system made for me (for work) and the company installed my OS in legacy mode... I have two drives, one 512gb NVME Samsung 960 EVO and one Seagate 1 TB disk drive. I'm booting...
  7. Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised: Hi, I have made a stupid mistake by resetting my windows 10 using the advanced start-up option without any device or disc( just my laptop). Later, I have found that the computer can only recognise my C drive, and when I go to my disk manager, it shows my other drive to be...
  8. CRTITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED on startup disk check at 0%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CRTITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED on startup disk check at 0%: Problem: Windows 10 needed to check my C (OS) drive for errors, so it scheduled a check and restarted. Upon boot, it went to the disk checking screen (showing the Windows logo and spinning dots), got to 0% and then immediately crashed with a CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED BSOD. This...
  9. Disk 1 not initialized? (!)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk 1 not initialized? (!): I did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit & now one of my hard drives has an issue. While on the desktop I could access the disk but it was very slow to scan & took several minutes. Once completed it seems to indicate all the folders but I could not access any of them....
  10. Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?

Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?: Actually, it is only one - you do not have to go through intermediate versions. The only point of a one-key recovery is to reinstate all the vendor crapware. If I remember correctly you can make a backup to an external drive if you ever really wanted to go back. IMO, that is...