Windows 10: Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management)

Discus and support Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; What needs to be done to use the full capacity? I read somewhere to "extend volume" but that option is grayed out for me. 141328 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by AshleyQuick, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management)

What needs to be done to use the full capacity? I read somewhere to "extend volume" but that option is grayed out for me.

:)

AshleyQuick, Sep 27, 2019
  2. Rockywr Win User

SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup.

I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive.

When I went to update to 1803 I was then informed that I didn't have enough space on my SSD to perform and update.... which was strange since there was 170gb and trimmed down as well.

So I had to go back to putting it onto the original HDD what I didn't know was that I now had the SSD booting up to an option of Windows 10 on Volume 4 which was the 500gb HDD --- remember I didn't know this.

I then had to re-install everything onto this HDD office etc.. etc.. etc... backwards and forwards, round and round the mulberry bush etc.. etc.. etc.. and was quite tedious -eventually it fired up with all my accounts having been put back to what they should
    be.

The SSD though when trying to fire up from this went into a blue screen of errors.. .saying it couldn't do it.

But, the HDD appeared to work okay so i went with this for a while.

After a few months without the speed of an SSD I thought I'd spend on a new 1tb SSD (also crucial) to fire up with plenty of room and eventually replace all my HDD's for SSD's ---- so after cloning the HDD 500gb original with update 1803 on it to the new
    1tb SSD I put the 1tb SSD as the first drive to boot from the Bios....

Nothing worked but, when I went to the 500gb SSD it fired up - it was only when I was looking through disk management that I could see it was classed as the primary but when I put the 500gb HDD with the OS on it as first bootable disk, it went into an option
    screen and I couldn't boot the OS it's only when the SSD was the first boot that it now somehow points to the volume with the OS on it ---- so, how do I make the new SSD the only one to fire up with the only OS on it ?

the Disk Mgmt screen display here is not showing the 1tb new SSD because I've taken the cable out for the time being as it isn't being pointed to by that other SSD....... what a pain this is I need help and instructions on this please.

The D is the SSD (Disk 0)

Disk 1 is the one containing the O.S. update 1803

Disk E is another HDD in the PC the others are just USB plugins.

regards,

W. Robinson

Rockywr, Sep 27, 2019
  3. I have a PC with Windows 10 on a SSD, and I plugged in an old 500GB HHD that has Win 7 on it. Can I delete the Win 7 recovery partition?

The recovery partition on your SSD is currently invisible to you (so you don't accidentally delete it or mess around with it).

This means the E: drive is from the 500Gb HDD. It is safe to format it.

Right click start menu icon and select "disk manager" from there, scroll down the list until you see your HDD, right click and format the drive completely.

Alexsolo101, Sep 27, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management)

SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management)

1. Switch from old 320gb hdd to 500gb ssd (help w/ disk management) - Similar Threads - Switch old 320gb

2. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  3. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  4. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  5. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  6. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

7. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  8. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  9. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD: Hi looking for the easiest and hassle free as possible way, to clone Windows 10 from 500GB HDD to 240GB SSD, seen a tutorial using easus, clone and back, on YouTube using a usb to sata cable, is this a good way to proceed, or could I run into problems, looking for any...