Windows 10: Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver

Discus and support Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire E5-571 and am trying to switch from the graphics driver provided by Acer to the newer version for my graphics card available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TeeJay3800, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver

I have an Acer Aspire E5-571 and am trying to switch from the graphics driver provided by Acer to the newer version for my graphics card available directly from Intel. The card model is HD Graphics 4400 and the CPU is a 4th gen Core i5 so I'm pretty sure this is the correct driver.

I have tried uninstalling the graphics driver through the Windows Device Manager, then rebooting and installing the driver from Intel, but I continually get the message about my computer having a customized driver from the computer manufacturer. It seems that as soon as I uninstall the driver, it is immediately reinstalled by Windows, thereby not giving me the chance to switch to the Intel driver.

Is there a way to manually switch to Intel's driver?

:)

TeeJay3800, Jan 13, 2016
  2. RS Shukla Win User

Display driver failed to start, drops internet connection

I have fixed this issue with myself. Just go to your PC manufacturer's website and then find the appropriate driver i.e. Intel HD Graphics 5500. Simply download it and install it. Your problem will be fixed then.

Why does it happens:

The PC manufacturer modifies the driver according to their BIOS which makes the driver compatible for the BIOS to run it. These modified drivers are called non-generic or manufacturer's driver. These drivers are different from the drivers that you may find
    on your hardware provider's website, e.g. Intel.

Solution for the issue:

So, I recommend you that never to download driver from the Hardware provider's website. Always go to your manufacturer's website and download he appropriate driver.

If this would help for you, then it was my pleasure to help you and if it doesn't then you can contact your manufacturer.

RS Shukla, Jan 13, 2016
  3. ali_mhd Win User
    Display driver stopped responding and has recovered-Windows10

Hi

No. I installed display driver (for Intel HD 3000) through windows update and AMD driver from manufactures website. I couldn't figure out anything from windows trouble shooting..

But there is no problem when i switched switchable graphics mode in BIOS from "dynamic" to "fixed" mode.

ali_mhd, Jan 13, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver

The problem is that OEMS often use customized hardware for which the Intel driver is not appropriate. I have seen warnings from Intel about this issue.

LMiller7, Jan 13, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    +1,, I stick with the drivers from my motherboard manufacture. It works just fine and I don't run into issues that I might if I used an AMD driver.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2016
  6. Thanks for the input and I know that is a good point, however I know that some people have had success using the newer non-OEM drivers. In my case, the latest build from Acer seems significantly older (10.18.15.4248) than the build from Intel (15.40.10.64.4300), so I'd at least like to give it a shot. Worst case I simple go back to the Acer version, so I'm all ears if anyone knows how.

TeeJay3800, Jan 13, 2016
  7. norti Win User
    Yes, install it manually (not with the setup.exe) in the Device Manager. Don't let Windows search for drivers, use the 'I have a disk' option and point to the unzipped driver's folder, where the inf file is. Then it will be installed over the older version. I also recommend to disable automatic driver updates, if you have W10 Pro.

If you see any artifacts or sudden BSODs, then switch back to the manufacturer's driver because you have a customized system.

norti, Jan 13, 2016
  8. brummyfan Win User

When you uninstall the current driver, don't reboot the laptop, install the Intel driver immediately after uninstalling the old driver.
    EDIT: disable Windows updating your drivers in System properties, you could do this in Device Installation settings.

Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver [​IMG]

brummyfan, Jan 13, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    I've always been confused by these numbers. For example I get 10.18.10.4276 from Windows update but the Intel driver utility recommends 15.33.38.64.4252

I don't know if it is only the last 4 digits which are interesting or if there is no correlation at all.

I tried the intel one (installed through their update utility) and it made no difference so I'm none the wiser really.

10. Another option would be to remove the Acer version and let Windows Update find the latest. That's how I normally install any Intel graphics drivers.

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
  11. AnEdge Win User
    Check out this link, How-to: bypass "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" , https://steamcommunity.com/app/23325...9190911446231/

Works like a charm, but follow instructions carefully. Not hard at all.

AnEdge, Jan 14, 2016
  12. Between several different helpful replies, I was able to successfully install the Intel driver, so thank you all for the help. *Cool

I am confused though by the driver version that Device Manager is now showing. This is the driver that I downloaded and installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...15-40-4th-Gen-

I believe that is the correct driver as it is for a Windows 10 64-bit machine with a 4th gen Core processor and HD 4400 graphics. The driver version listed there is 15.40.10.64.4300. However, after installing the driver, Device Manager lists the version as 20.19.15.4300. Does anyone know why that would be?

TeeJay3800, Jan 16, 2016
  13. AnEdge Win User

Looks like the same driver...last 4 digits match. Made for the chip and OS. I believe Win 10 or the OEM will put their stamp on the same driver, but the last 4 is what matters. I have the 5th gen I7 5500 and it did the same thing.

AnEdge, Jan 16, 2016
  14. Thank you for the explanation.

Yes, it runs very well. No noticeable difference from the Acer sourced driver, but at least it's running Intel's latest now. The only downside is the Intel Driver Update Utility still says "a customized computer manufacturer driver is installed". Unless the reason for that is I need to update the chipset driver to the Intel version as well. I'm not certain how to go about doing that.

TeeJay3800, Jan 16, 2016
  15. AnEdge Win User
    Yeah, unless you do a clean install and wipe you drive of all the OEM crap it will always say that. Just check periodically and use the go around to download the drivers from the vendors site, Its a good practice anyways. Wish you the best.

AnEdge, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Switch from PC manufacturer to Intel driver - Similar Threads - Switch manufacturer Intel

2. Drivers from Manufacturers site.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers from Manufacturers site.: Hey, Any help is greatly appreciated!!:I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I entered my product number and yada yada..So... I have 32 drivers to install, a few documents, a few preinstalled apps and bios / firmware.And yeah, what should I do about it?...
  3. Drivers from Manufacturers site.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drivers from Manufacturers site.: Hey, Any help is greatly appreciated!!:I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I entered my product number and yada yada..So... I have 32 drivers to install, a few documents, a few preinstalled apps and bios / firmware.And yeah, what should I do about it?...
  4. Accidentally uninstalled bluetooth drivers, reinstalled with drivers from manufacturer's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally uninstalled bluetooth drivers, reinstalled with drivers from manufacturer's...: Title says pretty much all, couldn't find the option to enable bluetooth so I messed around with it in device manager and uninstalled it. Reinstalled my motherboards (MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC) bluetooth drivers from the website but when I go back into device manager...
  5. Unable to install Realtek driver from the manufacturer website

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to install Realtek driver from the manufacturer website: I tried to install Realtek driver from the manufacturer website because Windows’ driver is working really bad with terrible sound. I went to the Realtek website and the installation process started but I was surprised to see that an old driver version was installed rather...
  6. Switching from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Intel to AMD: Which means reinstallation of Windows 10. I just need to know what will happen to those software that are installed anywhere else than C:/ ? Will they run on the new Win 10 as expected? How about their registry keys? submitted by /u/Shantanu08_YT [link] [comments]...
  7. Switch from Intel to Amd

Switch from Intel to Amd: Hello guys, I need help with my graphic card, I have 2 graphic cards, Intel and amd7400 on my laptop hp pavilion g6. I need to switch graphics to Amd because a long time ago, a friend maybe did something on these graphic cards because he said that will save energy for me...
  8. Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver

Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver: I am trying to update my Acer Predator XB1 monitors driver. I have the file downloaded and I can locate the folder within device manager but it will not install the driver. I keeps saying "windows has determined the most up to date driver is installed already...." I also...
  9. Intel driver from 1968?

Intel driver from 1968?: Planning on replacing my current system. The new system is: MB: Asus Prime Z370-A CPU: Intel i5-8400 Memory: 16 GB GSkill DDR4 HD: 2x M.2 Samsung 960 EVO NVMe PCIe (x4), Samsung 250GBs SATA SSD That's about all, the BIOS is the latest available from Asus. Created...
  10. Graphics Drivers and Manufacturers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics Drivers and Manufacturers: I got my Dell Inspiron laptop this past Christmas and the graphics driver installed for the A8-7410 APU w/Radeon R5 Graphics is from 2015. So is it the norm for Manufacturers to just install custom divers from the past and never update them? I have no issues I'm just a little...