Windows 10: Switch from private to home network, Win 10

Discus and support Switch from private to home network, Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't see my other networked PC on one of my other networked PC's, and noticed that my network is set up as "private" vs "home". How can I fix this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wildfire2020, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Switch from private to home network, Win 10

I can't see my other networked PC on one of my other networked PC's, and noticed that my network is set up as "private" vs "home". How can I fix this on Win 10? Running Win 1803 version.

:)

wildfire2020, Sep 24, 2018

2. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 24, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Sep 24, 2018
  4. Switch from private to home network, Win 10

Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

Switch from private to home network, Win 10

1. Switch from private to home network, Win 10 - Similar Threads - Switch private home

2. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  3. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private: I have Win10 Home Ver 10.0.19045 Build 19045 I have my xfinity network switched to Private but am running into trouble with switching my VPN from Public to Private. I've been attempting to install GPEdit.msc, and I haven't had the chance to check out windows firewall which...
  4. Networks in Win 10 labeled Public but are Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win 11 Home won't retain setting change from Public network to Private

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Home won't retain setting change from Public network to Private: I have 2 machines running Windows 11 Home. After a recent upgrade of my cable modem and router to a Nighthawk AX8/8 CAX80, Windows will no longer retain the change in designating the network as Private rather than Public. Any ideas?...
  6. Win 11 Home won't retain setting change from Public network to Private

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Home won't retain setting change from Public network to Private: I have 2 machines running Windows 11 Home. After a recent upgrade of my cable modem and router to a Nighthawk AX8/8 CAX80, Windows will no longer retain the change in designating the network as Private rather than Public. Any ideas?...
  7. Network setting occasionally switches from Private to Public

Network setting occasionally switches from Private to Public: I've been bothered by that for years. 5 systems are set up on a private network so I can access any one from any other, mainly to transfer files. When I'm suddenly unable to connect with one for some reason, that mysterious switch is the first thing I check for. Anybody know...
  8. Network Switching from Private to Public

Network Switching from Private to Public: Hi folksI was on my husband's laptop to change a sound setting for him and while I was checking that other stuff was working ok, I found that the network was on Public instead of Private, which is where I had it set for him the last time I did maintenance for him, months...
  9. How to switch wired windows 10 from public to private network

How to switch wired windows 10 from public to private network: Please give me an easy fix for switching my wired ethernet computers from public network to private network. EASY. This should not be difficult,...
  10. change network type from public to private in win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change network type from public to private in win 10: my home wifi is set to public. i want to change it to private but i cant find any options to do it even after searching the internet for solutions. please help...