Windows 10: switch Legacy to UEFI

Discus and support switch Legacy to UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; have Dell Inspiron 660, A12 BIOS 3/20/2018 currently have Legacy with Secure Boot disabled If I change to UEFI with Secure Boot enabled will W10 20H2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by T J, Jun 24, 2021.

1. T J
    T J Win User

switch Legacy to UEFI

have Dell Inspiron 660, A12 BIOS 3/20/2018 currently have Legacy with Secure Boot disabled If I change to UEFI with Secure Boot enabled will W10 20H2 start up correctly? thanks (saw the W11 stream today)

:)

2. jebediah Win User

UEFI or Legacy?

So i went for a clean Windows 10 installation on my Aspire E13.
    To boot from USB i had to switch from UEFI to Legacy, otherwise the USB drive would not be listed.

However. After the installation was finished my touchpad was not even recognized, i mean, i was not even listed in the device manager, so i read somewhere on the Acer forum that switching back to UEFI would solve this problem.
    Well, i switched back to UEFI and now when the laptop start i recieve a message that says -No bootable device found!

Even if i try to use my bootable USB drive, the list is empty.
    So i switched back to Legace again and guess what. Windows 10 starts like there was no problem.

So, what's the different between UEFI and Legacy? The bios tells me -Use UEFI on Win 8 and above to use all the benefits.
    And why oh why can't i boot up from a existing and working Windows 10 drive using UEFI?

jebediah, Jun 24, 2021
  3. 72westy Win User
    Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method GIGABYTE How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Jun 24, 2021
  4. Avocado Win User

switch Legacy to UEFI

UEFI or Legacy?

Depending how the Windows 10 install media is booted (UEFI or Legacy BIOS) Windows Setup creates either GPT or MBR partition style on the hard drive.

First, check the file system of the USB flash drive.

The file system of the USB flash drive must be FAT32 if you want to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    Option Two: Use "Rufus" to create Bootable Window 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI

Avocado, Jun 24, 2021
Thema:

switch Legacy to UEFI

1. switch Legacy to UEFI - Similar Threads - switch Legacy UEFI

2. Legacy or uefi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Legacy or uefi: Windows 10 installing in legacy mode, or uefi but I don't have uefi option, how to proceed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-or-uefi/ba2be4e1-69fc-4380-ab55-c56b63533ea8
  3. Legacy or uefi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy or uefi: Windows 10 installing in legacy mode, or uefi but I don't have uefi option, how to proceed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-or-uefi/ba2be4e1-69fc-4380-ab55-c56b63533ea8
  4. Legacy to UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy to UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to use UEFI mode, currently I am using Legacy mode. When I change to UEFI in Bios it doesn't boot to hard drive, USB and DVD drive. And my hard disk is MBR. Help me!...
  5. Switched from legacy to UEFI, 3 partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switched from legacy to UEFI, 3 partitions?: I recently switched from legacy to UEFI using the mbr tool, and now under disk management I'm seeing three disks on my C drive. From my understanding, the system reserved partition is only used in legacy boot options. One of my concerns is the EFI system appears to be empty....
  6. Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G and was using the new PC Health Check application by Microsoft which has the new option to check if my computer is compatible for Windows 11. It's not, and it mentions the problem is that Secure Boot is not enabled.When I try to switch in BIOS...
  7. Switching from Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Legacy to UEFI: I have been thinking of converting from Legacy to UEFI (Ryzen 2600 - AsRock B450 Pro4) My questions are: Is it as easy and as safe as it looks in those youtube videos? Like literally just typing mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS in cmd prompt with admin privileges, then...
  8. Legacy and UEFI switching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Legacy and UEFI switching: So, I have created a Windows To Go USB and it runs well but it’s UEFI, which is what I need to run it on my Mac. However, the other device that I need to use it on is on legacy, I believe it can switch to UEFI but it also already has data on. So if I switch it to UEFI , use...
  9. legacy / UEFI

legacy / UEFI: I have a backup made on the same machine that I am trying to restore from and it will not restore telling me that the system cannot restore a legacy backup on a UEFI machine. Running windows 10 pro. Can this be fixed and why did it happen?...
  10. UEFI or Legacy?

UEFI or Legacy?: So i went for a clean Windows 10 installation on my Aspire E13. To boot from USB i had to switch from UEFI to Legacy, otherwise the USB drive would not be listed. However. After the installation was finished my touchpad was not even recognized, i mean, i was not even...