Windows 10: Switch systems between partitions...

Discus and support Switch systems between partitions... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC is dual boot Windows XP/Windows 10. The system disk for XP is disk0 which is an SSD. The system disk for W10 is a partition on disk1 which is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fuzzard, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Fuzzard Win User

Switch systems between partitions...

My PC is dual boot Windows XP/Windows 10. The system disk for XP is disk0 which is an SSD. The system disk for W10 is a partition on disk1 which is a hard disk. I'm at a point to consider W10 my "main" system, but still need to keep the dual boot configuration. So what I'd like to do is "swap" the locations of the system disks, to move the system disk for W10 to disk0/SSD, and move the system disk for XP to the partition on disk1. My plan is to restore an Acronis image back up for each system to the target partition. My assumption is this will do what I want and when I boot, it will behave the same way giving me the choice of what to boot from, only that now for W10 I'll be booting of the SSD and for XP I'll be booting of the hard drive.

Is there anything here I'm missing? Will this work as planned?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

:)

Fuzzard, Jun 2, 2016

2. Switch Between Windows systems?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest to set default operating system as Windows 10 and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "msconfig" without the quotes in the search line or search bar and hit on
    Enter Key.

2. Click on the Boot tab.

3. Select a Windows 10 from the list and click on the Set as default
    button to make the selected OS the new default instead.

4. Click on OK.

5. Click on the Restart button.

WARNING: This will restart the computer immediately. Make sure you save and close anything open that you do not want to lose first.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Switch Between Windows systems?

How do I switch between Windows 10 & Windows 7? I know that I just shut the computer down, but it's defaultly opens in Windows 7 & I want to go Windows 10. Do I press an F key or how do I get there??

monkeyseat, Jun 2, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

You might have to make new BOOT menu so you don't have to do it thru BIOS. EasyBCD 2.3 Download - TechSpot is excellent to make multiboot menu using GUI.

CountMike, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Fuzzard Win User
    Thanks. I'm going to try this today and will let you know how it worked out.

Steve

Fuzzard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Switch systems between partitions... - Similar Threads - Switch systems between

2. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  3. Merge two partitions with a partition in between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merge two partitions with a partition in between: I deleted a recovery partition 17G and want to merge it into my C partition but I have a System Reserved Partition in between the two. Is there a way to do this? I understand you have to keep the System Reserved in windows 10. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version21H1, build...
  4. Merge two partitions with a partition in between

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Merge two partitions with a partition in between: I deleted a recovery partition 17G and want to merge it into my C partition but I have a System Reserved Partition in between the two. Is there a way to do this? I understand you have to keep the System Reserved in windows 10. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version21H1, build...
  5. Switching between drivers

Switching between drivers: I have an Oscilloscope/Logicanalyser combo. The problem is that it came with two drivers one for the software for the Oscilloscope and another driver for the software for the Logicanalyser. They both show up as one device. How can i easily switch between he drivers so that...
  6. Efi partition between two partitions

Efi partition between two partitions: Hi, I have an asus tuf fx55dt laptop with a 256gb ssd that has windows installed on it and a 1 tb hard drive as well. I am going to list the series of events that took place : 1) I installed ubuntu by creating a 300gb partition on my hdd. 2) ubuntu was not booting up...
  7. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  8. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  9. Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.: Hello there, My Surface Pro 4 is unable to switch between the 3 various output audio devices as shown below. For example, audio would be playing through "Speakers (Surface Dock)" then when I switch to "Headset Earphone (4- Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000)", the audio...
  10. switching between gamertags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching between gamertags: I have managed to aquire 3 gamertags. Can I amalgamate them and if not how do I switch gamertag fromthe default one the system uses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/switching-between-gamertags/6eebb6b5-f66a-43a1-a065-b8dde9290726

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i switch between partitions on my computer