Windows 10: Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt

Discus and support Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I use an administrative mode (elevated) command prompt to maneuver through most of my day. I have a code editor (in this case, Crimson Editor)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cniggeler, Oct 18, 2015.

1. cniggeler Win User

Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt

Hi,

I use an administrative mode (elevated) command prompt to maneuver through most of my day. I have a code editor (in this case, Crimson Editor) open at all times, and when I need to edit a file quickly, I simply type
    cedt <filename>
    at the command prompt.

What is happening in Win10 - which is different behavior from Win7 - is... nothing! Crimson Editor was started from the Startup folder as non-elevated, and so when I type that command in the administrative prompt, focus changes to Crimson Editor, but the requested file is not loaded!

If I open a regular cmd prompt and try the above command, it runs as expected, and as it did in administrator mode in Win7. Is there some setting I can add/change to make this work?

I also note that Win10 does not start programs from the startup folder if they have been set (in Properties) to run as Administrator, so starting Crimson Editor by hand at every reboot is possible but annoying. Thanks!

:)

cniggeler, Oct 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

As has been explained several times in this thread you have to run a subst non-elevated if you want to make it available to non-elevated processes
    and elevated if you want to make it available to elevated processes. It helps to read the whole thread.

If you can see an elevated subst in an application file dialog you are doing something non-standard as applications usually do not run elevated. e.g. you are running the application elevated or switched off UAC. Don't do that.

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Elevated Command Prompt

Hi Tommy,

A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface.
    You may open an elevated Command Prompt by following the steps below.

1. Open the Start menu, and type cmd to open the search box.

2. When Command Prompt shows up in the search results, right click or press and hold on it, then click/tap on
    Run as administrator.

Feel free to post your query should you need assistance.

Vanessa Oca, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt

That sounds like a UAC issue rather than a Windows 10 problem, did you have UAC disabled in Windows 7 by any chance? In any case, you can use task scheduler as a workaround for starting programs with administrative privileges at boot, for example see the instructions here: http://www.peerblock.com/userguide/h...accountcontrol

xtcrefugee, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  6. cniggeler Win User
    Thank you both for your replies. I will try out the Tutorial and link you each provided. I did not know how to run an elevated program from Startup before!

cniggeler, Oct 18, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    You can also do it the other way around and start a program as your normal user from a elevated cmd prompt using the runas command.

If you use the /savecred parameter you'll only be asked for your password once.

For example with your forum name and notepad
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>runas /user:cniggeler /savecred notepad[/quote] or to open a certain file with your program (for example C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log)
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>runas /user:cniggeler /savecred "notepad \C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log"[/quote]

8. cniggeler Win User

I like this one too - thanks!

cniggeler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt - Similar Threads - Switch non elevated

2. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  3. Invalid switch - "/elevate".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid switch - "/elevate".: When I try to use the start command with the /elevate switch to run a task as administrator I get the message Invalid switch - "/elevate". What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/invalid-switch-elevate/595e0c65-8fb0-481e-a34c-318ccb1dbbb4
  4. non elevated powershell?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    non elevated powershell?: Hi, I read that I can uninstall apps via the powershell elevated, and I indeed did this. But what surprised me was that even a non-elevated powershell prompt allowed me to uninstall a number of apps as well. Would this mean that I can even reinstall apps via a...
  5. How to elevate to administrator from Cmd prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to elevate to administrator from Cmd prompt?: I'm having difficulties with Windows repair disk not repairing my MBR. I've tried different starup disks and nothing is working! My only hope at this point is to use command prompt to repair it, but I am not sure how I can elevate to administrator! I've tried the runas...
  6. UAC Elevation prompts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Elevation prompts?: Which is more secure regards to the UAC Elevation prompt? And which one should I select for the Admin account? Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop or Prompt for Credentials? 137776
  7. Mapped drive not available from an elevated prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mapped drive not available from an elevated prompt: Simple questions. 1. Below article also apply to Windows 10? 2. Any impact on Windows 10? https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/3035277/mapped-drives-are-not-available-from-an-elevated-prompt-when-uac-is-co...
  8. The requested elevation requires elevation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The requested elevation requires elevation: I have seen this question asked before and attempted a few solutions. Fixing computer problems is not my forte and I would really like an easy to followed solution. I have downloaded the program Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2. It has converted most of my files to OpenOffice.org XML...
  9. cmd Scripts ask for elevated prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    cmd Scripts ask for elevated prompt: Hello, again *Smile I made a script to run a mmc console for de "Users & Computers of the domain" (DSA.EXE) Code: @Echo Off C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /netonly /user:domain\user "mmc dsa.msc"[/quote] It was working fine until I ran into this issue : Erreur de...
  10. Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what?

in Windows 10 Support
    Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what?: I am a standard user: there is no "Administrator" next to my name when I look at "Your Info" for my account in user settings. the output of "net localgroup administrators" does not contain my user name. I am on a domain-managed machine and I am not a domain admin either....