Windows 10: Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

Discus and support Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/laksh95goel, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens.

I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers.

I am open to using a third-party application but I fail to find one.

submitted by /u/laksh95goel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/laksh95goel, Mar 3, 2021
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 3, 2021
  3. ShushanLi Win User
    Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor

Hi everyone,

I need some help with switching virtual desktops. I used to have a MacBook pro and I was able to switch between multiple desktops on both my laptop and the monitor (external display). I want to be able to do the same, however when I switch desktops on my
    monitor, it causes the desktop on my laptop to also switch (essentially mirroring). In settings, I have already set it as extend these displays, can anyone help?

ShushanLi, Mar 3, 2021
  4. JClint Win User

Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

Up to date info on dual monitor setup with multiple virtual desktops?

I've searched forums for an answer to this question, and I can't find answers more recent than 2017. I want to use a dual monitor setup and virtual desktops on my Surface Pro. I want to have several different virtual desktops open on each monitor that
    only shift between virtual desktops when I shift them from that specific monitor, the way virtual desktops work with multiple displays on Mac.

Here's an example to illustrate. I want photoshop open in one virtual desktop on monitor 1 (M1 VD1) and Lightroom open on the same monitor in a separate virtual desktop (M1 VD2). On the other monitor I want a virtual desktop for Netflix (M2 VD1) and a virtual
    desktop for chrome (M2 VD2). Now, I want to be able to swipe the touchpad with the cursor on M1 to switch between M1 VD1 and M1 VD2 WITHOUT switching between virtual desktops on M2. Like Mac. I want multiple virtual desktops on both monitors, so the "Show
    this window on all desktops" option doesn't really work.

Is this possible without downloading 3rd party software? Thank you!

JClint, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

1. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup - Similar Threads - Switch virtual desktops

2. Virtual Desktops between multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops between multiple displays: When are you going to incorporate the option for multiple desktops between multiple displays, instead of just an extended display? This would be really useful. Thank you....
  3. Multiple / Virtual Desktop

Multiple / Virtual Desktop: I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10 2004. Why can I not get multiple Desktop's?? Is this because I have the home version?? Mark https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-virtual-desktop/5eb125ba-d29a-40c7-b926-8621ad167ad7
  4. [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

[Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name: Issue: When using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to switch between virtual desktops it is easy to get lost in which desktop environment you are in. Proposal: When using the shortcut to switch between virtual desktops a brief text notification should be...
  5. Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor

Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor: Hi everyone, I need some help with switching virtual desktops. I used to have a MacBook pro and I was able to switch between multiple desktops on both my laptop and the monitor external display. I wasn't to be able to do the same, however when I switch desktops on my...
  6. Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors

Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors: I was delighted to find Windows now has Virtual Desktops which I love. I like having all my work windows on one desktop and then any personal browsing and messaging applications on another. However and this is my use case I work on two monitors with my IDE Development...
  7. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual desktop switch: Windows 10, laptop. Sometimes when I log onto my PC, the virtual desktop switches to the furthest on the right. I haven't seen anyone having the same problem, and it's bothering me. submitted by /u/grzesiu447 [link] [comments]...
  8. Multiple monitor/display setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple monitor/display setup: I can't find where to set up multiple monitors and how they display/interact? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/multiple-monitordisplay-setup/d41db74d-36a0-49ae-9d6d-8b0f18810509
  9. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual desktop switch: win+tab opens virtual desktop switch ... but by repeated press it again disappears instead of continuing to next desktop :/ do you know how to advance to next desktop ? by keyboard not by pointing cursor over 2nd desktop ??? (win+tab+1 .... did not worked) alt+tab -...
  10. Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops: Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T. 7293

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switching desktops on mulitple monitors