Windows 10: Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up.

Discus and support Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, extreme noob to Windows OS, I've been on Apple too long. I have two external 1TB hard drives, a Seagate and a WD Elements. I moved my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AustinClark10, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up.

Hey everyone, extreme noob to Windows OS, I've been on Apple too long. I have two external 1TB hard drives, a Seagate and a WD Elements. I moved my entire iMac desktop + all downloads onto both of them. When plugged into various USB ports, they are read, but when I open them, it says 'this folder is empty, yet I see space is taken up. There are so many guides and troubleshooting walkthroughs online, but I can't find anything that pinpoints this problem exactly. Thanks for your knowledge and wisdom everyone!

submitted by /u/AustinClark10
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AustinClark10, Oct 3, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up.

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up.

1. Switched from iMac to Omen 30L. External Hard Drives read but no files show up. - Similar Threads - Switched iMac Omen

2. OMEN 30L Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OMEN 30L Desktop Not Working: I was gifted the OMEN 30L Desktop for Christmas, and since yesterday afternoon, it's been acting up in a strange way.Out of nowhere, the screen does this glitchy thing where it closes a specific app and makes the screen go all weird for a second before resorting back. Since...
  3. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  4. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  5. External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I have an external hard drive that I can't get to show up in the file explorer, I can see the drive in disk management though. I was thinking the drive doesn't have a letter assigned to it so maybe that's the problem but it won't let me give it one or change it from disk...
  6. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  8. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434