Windows 10: Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items?

Discus and support Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello! I was a Mac OS user since the mid 90s, started with System 7. I have recently switched to Windows 10 - so far it has been great. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/knac-1055, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items?

Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items? 0yQjXppbOidi2yhg2Nm_uIAVSaG6RCI1tTup9CQE3lA.jpg

Hello! I was a Mac OS user since the mid 90s, started with System 7. I have recently switched to Windows 10 - so far it has been great.

It was a gradual process, I started with a list of over one hundred applications from Mac and found many of these programs are also available for Windows - for the rest I found replacements that in many cases are much better (with one or two exceptions). One of those exceptions is KeyCue (https://www.ergonis.com/products/keycue/) that will display a list of hotkeys in the current program - haven't been able to find a replacement.

One feature of the Mac OS that I just haven't found in Windows 10 is that in almost all applications you can go to 'Main Menu > Help > Search' and find where a menu item is located. It shows where it is nested in the menu items, this can be especially helpful when using new programs. Is this or something similar available in Windows 10? If not are there any utilities that will allow searching of menu items?

Mac OS | Help > Search

Thank you for all the great and helpful info in this subreddit.

submitted by /u/knac-1055
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/knac-1055, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. dhoshaw Win User
    No Fan Control menu item in ATITool 0.26

.27b3 problems with 8800GT 256MB

I tried the .27b3 and encountered some problems.
    • Default profile comes up 0.00 / 0.00
    • App hard locks
    • Still no fan menu
    In the setup menu the following items appear:
    • Overclocking
    • Artifact scanning
    • Temperature monitoring
    • Gamma control
    • Startup
    • 3D-detection
    • Driver tweeks
    • Miscellaneous
    I'm running XP SP2 running NVIDIA 169.21 drivers.

The device details are displayed correctly now.

Regards,

dhoshaw, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items?

Start menu search items not clickable

This has been mentioned a lot and even though I'm constantly forced to update with a count down or scheduling reminder (I've seen posts of supposedly how to disable automatic updates however never had the time to investigate doing it myself but not happy
    about how difficult the process is to disable it in W10P) I still don't see this problem getting addressed.

Problem: Search in start menu for random items result in un-clickable items. For example, type "remove" and the "Add or remove Programs" and "Uninstall a Program" options are listed at the top as one would expect but clicking on them does nothing.

Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items? 3fcbe912-6637-4bb5-adf9-66201278cb39.jpg

Solution: Type "control" and the "Control Panel" option is listed and IS clickable. Then go to the sub option within the explorer control panel window.

Question: Why list items in the search result if they are not accessible? Is this intuitive? No.

Machine specific? Before suggesting this is a broken install it might help to know I can reproduce this on every W10 machine I've ever worked on of which exist in totally different environments, some were W8 upgrades...some were clean installs.

pingram3541, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items?

1. Switched from Mac to Windows. Is it possible to search menu items? - Similar Threads - Switched Mac possible

2. Windows 11 search file content not possible from start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search file content not possible from start menu: In my new Windows 11 PC, I can't search for file contents in the search bar in the Start Menu. I can search for filenames but not contents in files located in folders that are indexed. I have ensured that the requested file types is marked as "Index properties and file...
  3. Windows 11 search file content not possible from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 search file content not possible from start menu: In my new Windows 11 PC, I can't search for file contents in the search bar in the Start Menu. I can search for filenames but not contents in files located in folders that are indexed. I have ensured that the requested file types is marked as "Index properties and file...
  4. Mac user new to Windows: Searching for menu items?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mac user new to Windows: Searching for menu items?: I'm using Adobe Creative Suite programs on Windows for the first time. On Mac I was used to being able to use the search bar under the "Help" menu whenever I couldn't remember under which other menu a certain item was. I would type in the name of the item, and the menu to...
  5. is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?

is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?: For example, I have a folder called "Asus" in my start menu that has about 8 asus apps in it. I want to be able to search for "Asus" in the search bar to get to it quicker (not having to click the start button and scroll down), but the search bar finds nothing for "Asus". It...
  6. switching from windows to mac

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching from windows to mac: I bought a macbook air and downloaded windows on it but now im stuck in windows and dont know how to get back to mac. I have seen tutorials on how to do this and it says on the touchpad there is a grey diamond looking icon but i cant seem to find it....
  7. Start menu search, is it possible to remove?

Start menu search, is it possible to remove?: Is is possible to completely remove search from the start menu, or at least have it not return results from any source? submitted by /u/deey001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5n97e/start_menu_search_is_it_possible_to_remove/
  8. Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?

Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?: The same way recently added items are shown (or any other way that isnt just a shortcut)? I have the same question for the left pane in file explorer. Is it possible to show a list like quick acess with only recent items? I know quick access can show them too. Im just...
  9. Remove an item from Windows menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an item from Windows menu: Hello, Uninstalled "Mixedreality" (do not need it), restarted pc, but in the menu there is still this "Mixed Reality Portal" item. How to remove it, please. Answers will be appreciated. Thanks. 132772
  10. Remove an item from Windows menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove an item from Windows menu: Hello, Uninstalled "Mixedreality" (do not need it), restarted pc, but in the menu there is still this "Mixed Reality Portal" item. How to remove it, please. Answers will be appreciated. Thanks. 132772