Windows 10: Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

Discus and support Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dictum, May 4, 2021.

1. dictum Win User

Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and then hangs upon the MSI Logo "Splash screen". Both machines. I switched back to RAID mode in BIOS and reboot works. However, in RAID most it doesn't see all 4 disks, but only 3 out of 4. The remaining 2.5" SATAIII SSD it just doesn't see. (Whatever goes in its place, SSD or HDD). I went back to AHCI since there is no point in RAID and ever since then have been doing shutdown and then boot. Reboot just doesn't happen. I am not sure it's a win10 issue, could be the issue with the vendor and the BIOS or such. Still wondering if anyone else had to deal with that.

:)

dictum, May 4, 2021
  2. dictum Win User

I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically.

Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and then hangs upon the MSI Logo "Splash screen".
    Both machines.

I switched back to RAID mode in BIOS and reboot works. However, in RAID most it doesn't see all 4 disks, but only 3 out of 4. The remaining 2.5" SATAIII SSD it just doesn't see. (Whatever goes in its place, SSD or HDD).

I went back to AHCI since there is no point in RAID and ever since then have been doing shutdown and then boot. Reboot just doesn't happen.

I am not sure it's a win10 issue, could be the issue with the vendor and the BIOS or such. Still wondering if anyone else had to deal with that.

dictum, May 4, 2021
  3. harrymc Win User
    Switch from Raid On to AHCI (and vice versa) on reboot via script

Windows can be switch from Raid On to AHCI.
    I bring below the procedure described in the article
    How to switch SATA controller driver from RAID to AHCI on Windows 10 without a reinstall.
    I suggest to take backups first, including an image backup of the Windows partition.

1. Boot to Windows with your current SATA controller configuration
    2. Open Device Manager
    3. Expand Storage Controllers and identify the Intel SATA RAID Controller
    4. View properties of the identified controller
    5. On the Driver tab, click the Update driver… button
    6. Browse my computer…, Let me pick…
    7. Uncheck Show compatible hardware
    8. Select Microsoft as manufacturer
    9. Select Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller as model3
    10. Accept that Windows cannot confirm that this driver is compatible
    11. Save changes, reboot to BIOS and change RAID SATA Controller to AHCI
    12. Save changes and reboot normally, hopefully to Windows

An alternative solution that involves using bcdedit can be found in
    Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI operation
    (although I like it less when grub is involved).

harrymc, May 4, 2021
  4. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

RAID recovery

Heya, usually you need to set your storage configuration in BIOS to AHCI or RAID first.

Switch to RAID in BIOS and than (I only know this for Intel Systems), restart your PC.

At the beginning of the bootsequence you should see an additional screen, with a detail list of RAID drives.

It should list your drive too, if not, than it is not a RAID0 any more.

If it can boot back to your system, you should immediately backup all data you need.

The problem is RAID is a one-way process (at least for Windows).

After you got your backups, reboot and set your BIOS storage settings back to AHCI or RAID1 or whatever you wanted. Than you can format your drive and reinstall the new OS.

Hope this will help you out.

Annoyed_Chris, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities - Similar Threads - Switched RAID AHCI

2. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  3. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  4. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  5. Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI

Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI: Hey, I got an old Dell Latitude laptop that I was going to update my HDD on so I removed the old drive (it was an m.2 disk in an adapter in a 2.5" slot). I plugged in my new Samsung 840 which the computer couldn't find so I changed the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI (Raid is...
  6. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  7. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  8. Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI): Hi there, When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding issues, I went ahead and did a fresh install to 10. At the time I had a spare 60Gb SSD going unused so I decided to attempt to...
  9. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...
  10. WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI: Hello all, My laptop (specs listed in other under system specs) uses a Samsung PM830 SSD. Samsung Magician says it doesnt support this drive, even though the online documentation says it does. The only reason for this that Ive been able to find is because the laptop is set...