Windows 10: Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs

Discus and support Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I set the registry for AHCI, guide here How to Enable AHCI Mode for SATA in BIOS without Reinstalling Windows Then set windows to boot safe minimal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs

I set the registry for AHCI, guide here
    How to Enable AHCI Mode for SATA in BIOS without Reinstalling Windows

Then set windows to boot safe minimal using msconfig
    Restart-go to bios, turn to AHCI from IDE mode

Restart PC, AHCI detects the 3 drives, then
    lone blinking cursor top left screen forever.

I read that means bios cant find any boot files.
    I then disconnect the other 2 sata drives, reboot, still nothing different.

I put in my USB win10 install drive, boot, tryto repair the PC. It diagnosed the PC, then said attempting repair.

Makes me think repairing the PC wont work, how long to leave it and what is it doing?
    Is it unrecoverable?
    command prompt x:/, go to e:/ and it shows all the files, that drive e:/ is the windows drive I have been using on the PC

- - - Updated - - -

I am doing this switch to AHCI cause I bought a Samsung EVO 500gb, and plan to use it on this pc. And thought do it first, how hard can it be, then clone to the ssd, Guess I was wrong again...

- - - Updated - - -

SSD will be here Saturday, if windows is still attempting a repair, my only logical choice is a fresh install, then copy files over from old to new SSD drive. Unless some help comes along that fixes it first.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, well it did finish after 45 minutes, back to the main install page, I wish it would halt and wait for user input after attempting repair.
    It has now booted into safe mode.
    I suppose next, is msconfig back to regular booting, and hope it has installed AHCI driver.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes booting win10 slow as ever.
    SOMEHOW, it lost the pictures on the login screen, it a solid blue field. Why is that?
    And win10 says Cortana cant open and skype cant open, only error message I did not have that error before.

I hope this weekend the SSD can clone ok. Samsung has cloning software on their web downloads, I assume is good ?

I hope reconnecting the other 2 drives will allow it to boot.
    Another strange issue, after switch to AHCI mode, I cant hit the F11 key and enter the bios, bios boots right to AHCI checking after the bio splash image. Even fast continual tapping while it comes up will not enter the bios anymore, probably means If i have to get into the bios, I have to manually reset it by moving the pin on the board. Why do they make PC's so much of a pain?

:)

sdowney717, Nov 8, 2020
  2. aronchick Win User

Stuck in Windows 10 Upgrade

My computer seems to be stuck in a Windows 10 failed upgrade loop. I was running fine on a beta version of Windows 10, and then I came downstairs one morning to see it repeatedly booting, attempting to repair, then rebooting. The steps I've taken to diagnose are:

• Attempting to boot off a USB drive (with all drives disabled in BIOS) - this fails at the point of the blue windows screen
    • Attempting to boot the machine itself and getting into "repair/safe mode" using F7
    • Looking at the BIOS for obvious failures (e.g. RAM that should be there is missing) - nothing obvious is wrong.

I am fairly certain the build version was 9926. For many months, the system would attempt to upgrade, and then say "it failed" for some reason and roll back.

Suggestions for next steps?

aronchick, Nov 8, 2020
  3. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Update:
    Tried the Repair disk. Still back to "Your pc ran into a problem", "Preparing automatic repair" followed by Advanced Options which have been tried again.

Would anyone recommend:
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Otherwise, I have a bootable Win PE file waiting to be burned on to USB key, as suggested by other Forum user, but unsure what to do with it when (or if) it boots up the laptop.

4. Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs

Preparing Automatic Repair/Diagnosing Your PC Loop

I created the installation media on a USB and tried following those steps but nothing changed. It just boots up and goes back into the diagnosing your PC thing again. I dont know what to do.

KatieHodge25, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs

1. Switching a PC to AHCI fail, ran usb, diagnosed, attempting repairs - Similar Threads - Switching AHCI fail

2. pc asking to restart and attempt to repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc asking to restart and attempt to repair: My pc is always asking to restart and it happens over and over again, it keeps saying that it is attempting to repair my computer but nothing happens, my PC is always getting slow at times, and I've tried to do the start-up repair option but not even that works....
  3. PC stuck on attempting repairs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC stuck on attempting repairs: Hi,i was updating some drivers on my Asus all in one pc and i accidentally updated the wrong driver. it said something about having to restart and then it said that the computer needed to be repaired and it’s been stuck on the attempting repairs screen for a while. the driver...
  4. Pc attempting repairs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc attempting repairs: I got the infinate attemting repairs i let it sit for 2 hrs i tried to hard turn if off 3 times but when it says automatic repairs it just skips the screen and goes to dignosing pc the f9-f7 dont work either is it just broken or should i let it wait...
  5. Failed attempts to switch out of S-Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failed attempts to switch out of S-Mode: I've followed Microsoft's directions for switching out of S-mode -- but, when I get to the "MS Store" page to switch out of S-mode and click on the button, the button changes to "we're working on it" and nothing ever happens -- even hours later it's still "Working on it..."...
  6. Laptop stuck on automatic repair and diagnosing pc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop stuck on automatic repair and diagnosing pc.: Hi, when turning on my laptop it begins with automatic repair and then diagnosing pc, after this the blue screen shows up saying "automatic repair couldn't repair your PC. press "advanced options to try other options to repair your PC or "shut down" to turn off your PC....
  7. repair and diagnosing loop

repair and diagnosing loop: Hi all I just bought a hp 15 laptop with windows 10. turned it on did the set up which took 2 hr. by the way. Now its stuck on preparing and diagnosing your pc. Ive tried a few things, removed the battery, did start up repair, reset pc. any suggestions. or do i need to...
  8. PC stuck in attempting repair.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC stuck in attempting repair.: My acer all-in-one pc has suddenly become unable to boot. It keeps getting stuck at the attempting repairs for hours. I have tried to force shut down and click alt+f10 to try to reset the pc. It just hang there and wont proceed to reset the pc despite clicking it. I tried...
  9. Switch from Raid to AHCI

Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...