Windows 10: Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

Discus and support Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello there, My Surface Pro 4 is unable to switch between the 3 various output audio devices as shown below. For example, audio would be playing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlexanderShim, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

Hello there,

My Surface Pro 4 is unable to switch between the 3 various output audio devices as shown below.

For example, audio would be playing through "Speakers (Surface Dock)" then when I switch to "Headset Earphone (4- Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000)", the audio continues to play through "Speakers (Surface Dock)". The only way to resolve this problem is to logout, log back in and select the preferred "playback device" and go back from there. I am using iTunes to play my music. This problem doesn't occur when I use Windows Media Player.

Being able to select either 3 "playback device" did work a week ago. I'm not sure if a recent Windows 10 update has caused a problem or not.

I've restarted my Surface Pro 4 and problem continues to persist.

Thanks all to whom can help.

:)

AlexanderShim, Sep 11, 2018
  2. despues18 Win User

Playback device switch automation

How can I set my preferences to switch playback device if one is not available, then also if another device does become available (computer recognizes it as being on) then switch back.

Hotkeys are ok too,

Thanks!

despues18, Sep 11, 2018
  3. Frequent switching of playback and recording devices

Windows 10 user for a bit and have been seeing this as an 'issue' for quite a few versions of Windows.

I have x3 recording and x2-3 playback devices installed.

Recording

• Logitech Webcam (USB)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Blue Yeti Pro (USB)
    Playback

• Bose Speakers (Speaker port on Dell touchscreen)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Earbuds (headphones port - not always plugged in)
    Most are hardwired and one has a Bluetooth connection capability (Plantronics). I find myself often switching from one device to another, depending on the situation - recording, listening to music, taking a phone call, etc.

The current switching process is a bit cumbersome - right click the speaker in the taskbar, select playback or recording device and then picking whichever device. I find myself going thru this process x2-5 a day given whatever I am doing

It would seem to me that an app or icon / button selector would be ideal. Anyone aware of an app or device that might accommodate my need?

StevenGroves, Sep 11, 2018
  4. despues18 Win User

Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

Playback device switch automation

So for your audio preferences/selection in the lower right-hand corner next to the time you can select playback devices and or recording devices. I would like to know how to have a hotkey set up to switch between selections. Or even better, if I can set the preferences to take one over the other if one becomes available.

despues18, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

1. Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch. - Similar Threads - Switching between playback

2. Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices: I use an Audiobox USB audio interface for recording music but when I plug it in to my brand new laptop, it freaks out and rapidly switches between the audio interface and the built-in sound system, making the computer basically useless until I unplug it.The interface works...
  3. Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rapid Switching Between Audio Devices: I use an Audiobox USB audio interface for recording music but when I plug it in to my brand new laptop, it freaks out and rapidly switches between the audio interface and the built-in sound system, making the computer basically useless until I unplug it.The interface works...
  4. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  5. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  6. Shortcut / script to switch default Playback Device setting between two devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut / script to switch default Playback Device setting between two devices?: I regularly switch between two default audio devices - my headphones when I'm sitting, and my second monitor's built-in speakers for when I'm afk / standing / doing stuff around my room. I'd like to be able to streamline the process as much as I can, because it helps me be a...
  7. Switching apps to different playback devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching apps to different playback devices: So Adobe Premiere Pro is currently outputting sound to speakers, how do I make it output to my headphones? I have tried Settings>System>Sound>App Volume Devices Preferences but it does not work. I also do not want to download other apps....
  8. After upgrade to 1903: Switching between Default Playback Devices doesn't change line-in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After upgrade to 1903: Switching between Default Playback Devices doesn't change line-in...: I used to switch default playback devices (speakers/headphones) via Autohotkey script. After the upgrade from 1806 to 1903, both of my line-in audio signals will ignore any change of the default playback device until reboot. In other words: Whenever I set my headphones to the...
  9. Playback device switch automation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playback device switch automation: How can I set my preferences to switch playback device if one is not available, then also if another device does become available (computer recognizes it as being on) then switch back. Hotkeys are ok too, Thanks! 91434
  10. Playback Devices/Headphones and Speakers Auto Switching?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playback Devices/Headphones and Speakers Auto Switching?: Is there a way to set speakers and headphones to switch back and forth automatically like Windows7 did? See also: plug my headphones in...headphones work. Unplug my headphones...speakers work...without having to right click the speaker and manually set what I'm using every...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. playback device doesnt switch