Windows 10: Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting

Discus and support Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Have noticed that if I change the number of channels I output from windows via a right click on the sound icon on the task bar as below, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ph0b0s123, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ph0b0s123 Win User

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting

Hi,

Have noticed that if I change the number of channels I output from windows via a right click on the sound icon on the task bar as below, it resets the default format being output to 16 bit, 48000 Hz DVD quality see below.

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting d0f3c4e8-68ff-47cf-aa7e-ad102194d373?upload=true.png

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting bede8028-22b1-4c80-b72d-b2bcd55f1864?upload=true.png

If I make the same change using the legacy sound applet via the control panel, as below, the default format setting is unchanged.

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting a5ffa7fb-db16-4ec7-acca-bed021992cdf?upload=true.png

I change the amount of channels multiple times a day depending on the amount of channels being output by the source I am listening to. This allows my amplified to apply processing for speaker fill or other DSP's in a superior way to what windows can.

This happened with Windows 1909 and still happens with 2004.

:)

ph0b0s123, Jul 28, 2020
  2. glenneroo Win User

Windows 10 audio configuration keeps changing from 5.1 to stereo at random

I have configured my sound system in Windows 10 as 5.1, and can hear and test all 5 speakers individually without problems. Then, when I am playing a movie with VLC or working with my Unity application, Windows 10 keeps changing (seemingly randomly) back to Stereo, and often times 5-10 seconds later again back to 5.1, always with a 1-2 second delay (silence) during switching.

I have a Teufel Concept E and Concept 450 speaker system which have onboard sound cards. I have also tried using a Behringer FCA610 and Logilink UA0099 7.1 sound card connected to the sound system via optical cable and also with 3 single 3.5mm cables. Nothing seems to matter, Windows 10 arbitrarily change between stereo and 5.1 mode. I never had this issue with Windows 7.

If I configure the soundcard via Windows control panel (Speaker Setup screen), it often shows as being in Stereo mode, even though I just 5 minutes prior set it to 5.1! Sometimes it works fine for an hour, other times it happens after several minutes. I can't determine any rhyme or reason.

I have also tried using a different PC where nothing sound-related is running except my Unity application, and again the same problem occurs. One PC is Intel i7-8700, the other is an AMD Ryzen 7.

I tried installing Xear audio panel (suggested by Teufel) and changing to 5.1 manually, but this too sometimes resets back to Stereo mode, also seemingly randomly.

How can I lock Windows down to 5.1? Can I run some kind script that runs continuously and sets to 5.1? It is highly frustrating!

glenneroo, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Callender Win User
    Sound quality

You might want to experiment with this:

Stereo Mix no longer appears. - Windows 10 Forums

See greyed out item here:

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting [​IMG]

Option is available In VB Cable if set as default device:

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting [​IMG]

You must select this device in system tray sound icon.

You must configure output via speakers:

Callender, Jul 28, 2020
  4. fireberd Win User

Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Switching between Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sound via system tray,resets sound quality setting - Similar Threads - Switching between Stereo

2. Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo: Nearly every time I go to play something I have to right click on the sound icon in the toolbar and reselect ATMOS. Windows constantly sets the sound output to STEREO.I have seen this question asked several times and each time the suggestion is to re-install the sound...
  3. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  4. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  5. Spatial sound and Sound quality resetting back

Spatial sound and Sound quality resetting back: I use wired headphone, I would TURN ON Spatial Sound but a few minutes later when I check it back in settings its TURNED OFF automatically. Same with Sound Quality. I set it to 192k Hz but a little later when I check back its back to 48k. So lame Microsoft! Is there a way to...
  6. Play sound of 1 program via speakers, rest bluetooth

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Play sound of 1 program via speakers, rest bluetooth: I have a feeling it's not possible, but i'm trying it anyway: My daughter and i sit behind my pc together quite often where she watches youtube on my second screen while i can game on my primary screen. Normally i will turn my gaming sound off for this. What i want to...
  7. Stereo Mix not playing system sounds?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stereo Mix not playing system sounds?: My "Stereo Mix" doesn't appear to have any sound coming through it. I enabled it in my sound devices, set its level to 100, but I'm not able to listen/record to any of my system sounds through it. Any ideas? submitted by /u/goose_ws [link] [comments]...
  8. hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound: im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hy-im-windows-10-no-sound-in-system-51-no-sound/dfcd0bea-d64e-4d4a-8d22-a1d756aec611
  9. No "stereo mix" option in sound settings

No "stereo mix" option in sound settings: I was going to make a linux virtual machine using VMware. That was easy, however, in the virual machine, when I tried to play audio, it wouldn't work. I searched for some solutions and they said to enable stereo mix in the sound settings. However when I went to my settings, I...
  10. After every Windows 10 install, my sound quality settings reset to 1 channel, 8 bit, 8000...

After every Windows 10 install, my sound quality settings reset to 1 channel, 8 bit, 8000...: I need help resolving this particular problem I've been having. As you can see from the title, whenever I install a new version of Windows 10, several of my Sound Recording settings revert to the lowest quality available including my mic. I'm on the Skip Ring of the Insider...