Windows 10: Switching between user logins freezes taskbar

Discus and support Switching between user logins freezes taskbar in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The case: My wife and I share the same home PC for work, that we use independently throughout the day. We would like to be able to switch between our... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ppdk_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. ppdk_ Win User

Switching between user logins freezes taskbar

The case:

My wife and I share the same home PC for work, that we use independently throughout the day. We would like to be able to switch between our users without having to log out and close/reopen our respective documents and apps. Kinda like how it works on a Mac when you switch between multiple active user login sessions.

The Problem:

Whenever we try to use the "Switch User" functionality, the taskbar freezes doesn't load on whichever user you switch to. The only way to unfreeze the taskbar is to log out completely on one user and subsequently close all apps/documents, and then login to the other user afterwards.

What I have tried:

• A fresh Windows install
    • Add a new and fresh user stops working after a reboot
    • Running DISM.exe /CheckHealth, /ScanHealth, /RestoreHealth
    • sfc /scannow

Extra info:

Both users have Admin account type and our Windows 10 is updated to the latest version.

:)

ppdk_, Dec 23, 2020

2. Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Dec 23, 2020
  3. jpanzo Win User
    Cannot see/login into other users at Login or Switch Users

Hi all,

My computer has three users on it (John, Lawrence, and Elizabeth). The problem right now is that John is the only one that can login to the computer.

For Lawrence and Elizabeth, their users don't appear at the login screen (not even in the bottom left hand corner). When the computer starts up, John is already selected to login and just has to input his password.

Also, when logged in as John, you are not able to see the "Switch User" button when clicking on the top left button of the start menu.

I have tried following already:
    1. Running the "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbos" script in the command prompt
    2. Using the lusrmgr.msc to add the users

I have attached a screenshot that shows how there are multiple users on the computer, but there is no "Switch User" option available.

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

Thank you,
    John Panzo

jpanzo, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

Switching users in tablet mode has become impossible.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if you are able to login to Microsoft account.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete key.
    • Click on Switch User.
    • Select the Microsoft account on the computer and try to logging in.

Note: You may need internet connection to access the Microsoft account.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Jessen P, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Switching between user logins freezes taskbar - Similar Threads - Switching between user

2. IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar: Split from this thread. Hello , McQuistans at HomeWelcome to Microsoft Community. Sorry for replying so late.Before we determine this is a Windows bug or not, I suggest you try again this mouse on another PC with Windows 10 latest version. If you encounter the same issue, I'm...
  3. IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar: Split from this thread. Hello , McQuistans at HomeWelcome to Microsoft Community. Sorry for replying so late.Before we determine this is a Windows bug or not, I suggest you try again this mouse on another PC with Windows 10 latest version. If you encounter the same issue, I'm...
  4. IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. New Microsoft Pro IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Microsoft Pro IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar: This matter has come up before, at that time focused on a 3rd party mouse, and hence dismissed as a non MS problem.Not so.My PC - Windows 10 latest updates - no 3rd party software, new clean build.Switching users with new Pro Intellimouse causes long login and frozen taskbar...
  6. New Microsoft Pro IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Microsoft Pro IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar: This matter has come up before, at that time focused on a 3rd party mouse, and hence dismissed as a non MS problem.Not so.My PC - Windows 10 latest updates - no 3rd party software, new clean build.Switching users with new Pro Intellimouse causes long login and frozen taskbar...
  7. New Microsoft Pro IntellimMouse causes switching between user logins to freeze taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to easy switch between users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to easy switch between users: Hello, I have two users on my computer, me and my partner. We both stay signed in. How do we switch users without going to the Lock Screen and signing in again every time? We trust each other so there is no problem with security....
  9. User switching / login not possibe

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User switching / login not possibe: After following this in order to try fixing other problems, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-restore-default-security-permissions/ab58f918-da72-42c0-ba71-161d52b73d46 I can no longer see my other users on the system....
  10. Issues switching between user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issues switching between user accounts: I share my laptop with my wife; I have an admin account and she is a standard user. We have a consistent but intermittent problem switching between user accounts using the fingerprint reader. Most of the time, one swipe of a finger properly changes accounts. At least every...