Windows 10: Switching boot drive

Discus and support Switching boot drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD and would like to add a Samsung 970 M.2 and change it to the boot drive. How do I properly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trevor8989, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Switching boot drive

Hi all,

I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD and would like to add a Samsung 970 M.2 and change it to the boot drive. How do I properly format the new 970 M.2 as the primary boot drive and remove all of the Windows files from the 850 SSD? I have a Windows 10 installation flash drive ready. Looking to have the process go smoothly and not confuse the computer!

Thank you

:)

Trevor8989, Aug 13, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Aug 13, 2020
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Switching boot drive

Airplane mode switch not working

Since the troubleshooting steps that were provided did not resolve the issue, we suggest switching on the Radio Management Service. To do that, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type services.msc, then hit Enter.
    • Search for Radio Management Service.
    • Right-click, then choose Start.

Note: Never ever set this service to "Disabled".

Get back to us if the steps won't work.

Marilou Ser, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Switching boot drive

1. Switching boot drive - Similar Threads - Switching boot drive

2. bios keeps switching my boot drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    bios keeps switching my boot drive: i recently just wiped my ssd and my nvme drives to reinstall windows and after i reinstalled it, everytime i turn off my pc and turn it on again it gives me a blue screen saying that winload.efi is missing. After i go to my bios it shows that my old ssd without windows...
  3. bios keeps switching my boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bios keeps switching my boot drive: i recently just wiped my ssd and my nvme drives to reinstall windows and after i reinstalled it, everytime i turn off my pc and turn it on again it gives me a blue screen saying that winload.efi is missing. After i go to my bios it shows that my old ssd without windows...
  4. bios keeps switching my boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 update switched boot drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update switched boot drives: I had my Dell Optiplex 3020 set up to boot from SSD with HDU as a secondary and bootable drive. Yesterday things were running fine; I left to run some errands, and when I got back, the system was running from the HDU it took me a while to figure that out. Windows now cannot...
  6. Windows 10 update switched boot drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update switched boot drives: I had my Dell Optiplex 3020 set up to boot from SSD with HDU as a secondary and bootable drive. Yesterday things were running fine; I left to run some errands, and when I got back, the system was running from the HDU it took me a while to figure that out. Windows now cannot...
  7. Windows 10 update switched boot drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Switching boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching boot drive: Hello, so I’ve got an issue that I’m not sure is possible to fix without losing data. I have both a 500gb m.2 nvme ssd and a 500gb hdd. Well I’ve been using both drives for awhile now and I could have sworn that I had the windows 10 boot drive set on the ssd. Now I’m planning...
  9. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  10. Missing files after switching to new drive for boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing files after switching to new drive for boot: So here is an interesting conundrum I'm curious if anyone can solve. Back at Xmas time I bought a new SSD, installed into my laptop and cloned my hard drive partition to it. I have been booting from the SSD since by manual changing the BOOT priority to boot from the...