Windows 10: Switching boot drives from Dell to Asus laptop

Discus and support Switching boot drives from Dell to Asus laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to switch an SSD from an older Dell laptop to a newer Asus (currently with a large HDD). The Win10 licences (Pro on SSD/Dell and Home on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbobs, May 12, 2020.

1. jimbobs Win User

Switching boot drives from Dell to Asus laptop

I want to switch an SSD from an older Dell laptop to a newer Asus (currently with a large HDD). The Win10 licences (Pro on SSD/Dell and Home on HDD/Asus) on both laptops are legit, linked to an MS account and up to date. Anything I need to do in preparation for the switch, or, is it straight forward?

:)

jimbobs, May 12, 2020

2. Asus Laptop stuck on aptio

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Select the Boot menu in the Aptio setup utility, select 'Launch CSM' and change to enable.
    • Select the Security menu n the Aptio setup utility, select 'secure Boot Control' and change to disable.
    • Select Save & Exit and press 'yes'.
    • Hold down the power button until the unit switches power off completely.
    • Switch back on and continually press the F9 button for about ten seconds; this should now allow the unit to boot up into the Windows Recovery menu.
    • Select 'Advanced Start Up' and wait until the recovery menu appears.
    • Select ' Advanced Options'.
    • Select 'System Restore' and select a date prior to when the problem occurred.
    Also, I suggest you to refer the below thread:

Help! Stuck in Asus Aptio Setup Utility, after restarting the system screen turns black with one white underscore flashing

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, May 12, 2020
  3. Unable To Connect Boase Headphones To ASUS Laptop.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the model number of the Bose headphone?
    2. How are you trying to connect the headphones to the laptop?
    3. What is the model number of your ASUS laptop?
    4. Are you using a wired or a wireless Bose headphone?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in Connecting To A Computer
    and try connecting your headphones to the laptop.

If you are still facing issues connecting the headphones to the laptop, I suggest you to elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and reply to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 12, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, May 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Switching boot drives from Dell to Asus laptop - Similar Threads - Switching boot drives

2. ASUS laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS laptop won't boot: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. First connected it to my PC to install windows 11, went smooth, I copied all boot files and created BCD store through cmd on the new drive, tested everything on my PC. Then...
  3. ASUS laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ASUS laptop won't boot: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. First connected it to my PC to install windows 11, went smooth, I copied all boot files and created BCD store through cmd on the new drive, tested everything on my PC. Then...
  4. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asus Laptop wont boot: Hi,I am sure this has been asked before but I cant find the cpecific answer to the problem and I have tried many of the proposed solutions.My Asus ROG laptop wont boot up, it won't do a startup repair itself and I have download the MS media installation file to a USB and...
  5. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus Laptop wont boot: Hi,I am sure this has been asked before but I cant find the cpecific answer to the problem and I have tried many of the proposed solutions.My Asus ROG laptop wont boot up, it won't do a startup repair itself and I have download the MS media installation file to a USB and...
  6. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Switching boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching boot drive: Hello, so I’ve got an issue that I’m not sure is possible to fix without losing data. I have both a 500gb m.2 nvme ssd and a 500gb hdd. Well I’ve been using both drives for awhile now and I could have sworn that I had the windows 10 boot drive set on the ssd. Now I’m planning...
  8. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  9. Switching boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching boot drive: Hi all, I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD and would like to add a Samsung 970 M.2 and change it to the boot drive. How do I properly format the new 970 M.2 as the primary boot drive and remove all of the Windows files from the 850 SSD? I have a Windows 10...
  10. ASUS Laptop Will Not Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ASUS Laptop Will Not Boot: I have an older ASUS laptop I inherited from a family member. I performed a reset on the computer and now it will not boot properly. When I start the system, it goes into a setup process via Cortana. It cycles through the location, timezone and keyboard routines sometimes*...