Windows 10: Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows)

Discus and support Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I ran out of space on my PC today so I went and got a new SSD and switched it out for the old SSD which was the C drive. I got the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CutterR1, Jul 19, 2019.

1. CutterR1 Win User

Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows)

Hello,

I ran out of space on my PC today so I went and got a new SSD and switched it out for the old SSD which was the C drive. I got the computer back up and running with Windows however now my SSD is drive D and my HDD is Windows C. Is there any way I can move everything from the HDD onto the SSD without corrupting Windows 10 or reinstall it and remove my HDD? Any help would be greatly appreciated with minimal outside programs.

Thanks

:)

CutterR1, Jul 19, 2019

2. Switching C: and D: drives

Summary: In my file explorer, two drives appear. My C drive, where my Windows 10 OS is installed, and my D drive. My C drive is 476 (500) GB, my D drive is 1.8 (2) TB. I would like to switch my C and D drives so the 2TB hard drive is my default, where my
    OS is installed, etc. My C drive currently has 290 GB used and 186 unused.

Notes: The D drive does not appear under Settings/Storage - only my C drive appears here. Both drives appear in the Task Manager, labelled "Disk 0 (CSwitching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) :)" and "Disk 1 (DSwitching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) :)" which leads me to believe these are physically separate disks, not
    partitions - but I could be wrong, please clarify this. To be clear, I cannot see any data stored on my D: drive. Though Task Manager/Performance/Disk 1 says "Formatted: 1.8 TB", when you select the D: drive in File Explorer it states the drive is not
    formatted and must be formatted before it can be accessed, then asks if I would like to format the disk (I have not done so). I am willing to reset my computer; all of my files are saved to the cloud and I am in the process of creating a USB recovery drive
    as I type this.

Questions: Is this possible? Is this worthwhile? If both possible and worthwhile, how do I do it?

Specifications:

1. This is an ASUS Q530U laptop (not to be confused with the Q530UX or Q530UZ). That is the sticker on the outside of the laptop. Inside the Settings/About it says "Q534UXK". I am not entirely sure why this discrepancy exists but I would trust the sticker
    first.

2. Intel core processor: i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70 GHz 2.90 GHz with 2 cores and 4 logical processors. (not overclocked manually but I often see it running between 3.0-3.4 GHz) Also noteworthy is that in the Task Manager, the system recognizes it to have a base
    speed of 2.90 GHz. I am not sure why the 2.70 GHz is included in the name of the processor but nobody truly understands Intel's naming system, so.

3. 16.0 GB RAM, 15.9 usable, 2133 MHz

4. Two graphics cards on board, the Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M

5. See summary for drive information

RileyBuhrow, Jul 19, 2019
  3. ne0nn0se Win User
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) [​IMG]

Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) [​IMG]

All of my downloaded programs are located in the D: Drive

ne0nn0se, Jul 19, 2019
  4. Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows)

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows)

1. Switching C and D drive and everything on it (Including Windows) - Similar Threads - Switching drive everything

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  6. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  7. C drive and D drive switches up

8. Switch up my C and D drive

Switch up my C and D drive: Hello, I have decided to reinstall my Windows 10, because previously my windows has installed on C drive - which is for some reason 1TB HDD, and then D drive - which is 128 SSD. I would like to ask how can I switch these two so my windows can install on SSD marked as C...
  9. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  10. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade: Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switching the c and d drive in a computer