Windows 10: Switching form one network config to another

Discus and support Switching form one network config to another in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I have three networks in my life: one at my employed job, one at my own workshop, and one at home. I have a Win10 laptop with me most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eamoex, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Eamoex Win User

Switching form one network config to another

Hello Everyone,

I have three networks in my life: one at my employed job, one at my own workshop, and one at home. I have a Win10 laptop with me most of the time. Now, two of the networks I use have a DHCP server which leases addresses to my laptop. The third network (at my workshop) does not use a DHCP. Although I can change the settings of the laptop's network adapter by entering a static IP, and make it work great there, all hell breaks loose when I'm back in a DHCP-served environment. I've tried everything, but the only way to regain functionality in this case is to reinstall the network adapter from scratch.

I could make my workshop's network use a DHCP, but I don't like the idea, and it would mean changeing the settings of many devices (other computers, NAS, printers...).

I'm not very savvy here, but there must be a way to kind of store two network configurations in Windows, right? And easily switch from one to the other when needed?

:)

Eamoex, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Auto-switching networks

Hi dssds1,

It's possible that your home Wi-Fi network is not set as your preferred network. I suggest removing and reconnecting to your home networks. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
    2. Click Manage known networks.
    3. Right-click your Wi-Fi network, and click Forget.
    4. Once removed, reconnect to the same network and make sure that the Connect automatically option is checked.
    5. Once connected, right-click your Wi-Fi network, then click Properties.
    6. Make sure that the Connect automatically when in range option is enabled.

Kindly restart your laptop and see if it will reconnect to the network automatically.

Please let me know how it goes so I can help you further if needed.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Boatvan Win User

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Switching form one network config to another - Similar Threads - Switching form network

2. Wifi working on one network, but not another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi working on one network, but not another: Hi there,I have a really weird problem that i cant find the fix for anywhere.On my pc my main wifi network is really choppy, onse second it works great, the next it doesnt work at all, to the point where it takes 20 minutes to ipen youtube. This is only a problem on my pc,...
  3. Wifi working on one network, but not another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi working on one network, but not another: Hi there,I have a really weird problem that i cant find the fix for anywhere.On my pc my main wifi network is really choppy, onse second it works great, the next it doesnt work at all, to the point where it takes 20 minutes to ipen youtube. This is only a problem on my pc,...
  4. How to switch parental control from one account to another

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to switch parental control from one account to another: I am in this position: I've installed my girl laptop using a new account microsoft accountgirl2020 with a new google mail*** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Now I want to use parental control for this account from my personal account mail *** Email address is...
  5. Switching Form One Windows OEM Key To Another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching Form One Windows OEM Key To Another: Hi, I bought a laptop that was supposed to have OEM Windows 10 Pro, but arrived with OEM Windows 10 Home. I've since received an OEM key to activate Windows 10 Pro.. I've been reading about updating on this forum and have used the generic upgrade key...
  6. How to switch backups from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to switch backups from one drive to another: My computer had Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I was using the Windows Backup program but my drive ran out of room and it had to stop backing up and gave me errors. Now I bought a new 8 TB usb external drive. I changed my settings to back up to that drive and it...
  7. Able to switch Win10 from one M365 tenant to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Able to switch Win10 from one M365 tenant to another?: We had a demo MS365 Business Premium tenant that expired, and we had set up a Windows 10 Business computer as a demo computer with all the apps connected to that tenant. We set up a new tenant, and this time chose MS365 Enterprise. All works well in the computer, got it...
  8. Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background image keeps switching to an image on another computer in network: I keep seeing my background image change to an image that is on another computer in my network. I heard this has something to do with syncing but I do not know how to stop it. Is there a solution to this?...
  9. switching to another Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    switching to another Family: how do I leave my current Family (I am primary child account) and join my parent's Family group? I don't see an option after I click "got it" after they tell me I need to leave my current family....
  10. Network Config.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Config.: Unable to connect to server. Check the network conf. of your PC What does this mean? And now I cant get into excel files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-config/eec1d401-3b4f-4cd5-a770-bded4d09dd59