Windows 10: Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff?

Discus and support Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says I'm switching from a laptop to a desktop, I have things like winrar, poweriso, and emulators installed on the laptop, will I be able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MistaRoboto717, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff?

As the title says I'm switching from a laptop to a desktop, I have things like winrar, poweriso, and emulators installed on the laptop, will I be able to transfer them and my settings to the desktop? And will I have to worry about running the setup and installation process for them?

submitted by /u/MistaRoboto717
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MistaRoboto717, Jun 4, 2020

2. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jun 4, 2020
  3. dan99t Win User
    How do I transfer data from desktop to Laptop ?

Hi,

I am travelling & taking my desktop's 500 GB Hard Disk ( with data & OS ) with me. Once I reach my destination I will be buying a Laptop there & want to transfer the data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD.

Without an access to desktop there, how do I transfer data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD ?

Thanks

dan99t, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff?

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

Kari, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff?

1. Switching from a laptop to desktop, can I transfer my stuff? - Similar Threads - Switching laptop desktop

2. I need help getting my stuff transfered to a different laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help getting my stuff transfered to a different laptop.: Hi. I'm a user who has to transfer my stuff to a different computer, since my gaming laptop has been damaged from the attempts of trying to get it repaired, the first time it was due to charging problems and now it won't charge, it's basically damaged beyond repair at this...
  3. I need help getting my stuff transfered to a different laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help getting my stuff transfered to a different laptop.: Hi. I'm a user who has to transfer my stuff to a different computer, since my gaming laptop has been damaged from the attempts of trying to get it repaired, the first time it was due to charging problems and now it won't charge, it's basically damaged beyond repair at this...
  4. Switching to pc and stuff transfering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching to pc and stuff transfering: i have dead by daylight on xbox ok? Ok cool now i have a lot of addons and what not so i need to know if all that will transfer to the windows version cause it hasent so im just seeing if it will or not....
  5. Switching to pc and stuff transfering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching to pc and stuff transfering: i have dead by daylight on xbox ok? Ok cool now i have a lot of addons and what not so i need to know if all that will transfer to the windows version cause it hasent so im just seeing if it will or not....
  6. Transferring stuff

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring stuff: so i want to move all my files from Drive C: to Drive D: and have it as my basic file for downloads Any clue if this is even possible and if so how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-stuff/8e368381-2fd2-4080-8d0e-3e4a64c8dd37
  7. Can I transfer a Windows 10 license from a laptop to a desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer a Windows 10 license from a laptop to a desktop?: I found a guy selling a broken laptop for like 10 bucks, and it has windows 10 and I would like to known if it’s possible to transfer the license submitted by /u/RonnieM07 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can I transfer a laptop Windows 10 to a desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer a laptop Windows 10 to a desktop?: submitted by /u/Pizel_the_Twizel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hu4484/can_i_transfer_a_laptop_windows_10_to_a_desktop/
  9. Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop: I have a laptop with a 2.5 inch 128gb SSD. This SSD has windows 10 on it along with a number of other programs, files, etc. I would like to take the SSD out of my laptop and install it in my desktop, which already has its own SSD in it with windows 10 installed. So my...
  10. Download stuff into laptop or desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Download stuff into laptop or desktop?: Which of these two you prefer to download stuff into? 126439