Windows 10: Switching Function Keys' Use

Discus and support Switching Function Keys' Use in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-12Z and have been trying to change my function keys so that I don't need to press the fn button to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sriol, May 30, 2019.

1. Sriol Win User

Switching Function Keys' Use

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-12Z and have been trying to change my function keys so that I don't need to press the fn button to use the special keys (change volume and brightness etc) - and so need to press fn to use the F1-12 keys. I found the setting in the BIOS to switch the function keys (while not pressing fn) to either 'Special functions' or 'F1-12'. However, switching this from one to the other changed absolutely nothing about how the fn key functioned. Both settings still made me press the fn key to get volume up/down etc. I'm somewhat lost as to how to make this change seeing as the actual setting that says it changes this does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. This has been bugging me for ages.

Thanks

Alex

:)

Sriol, May 30, 2019

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, May 30, 2019
  3. Xsef Win User
    PC Key Power Switch

Hey! I'm how do I make a PC key power switch? This is the keylock I'm going to use: http://www.biltema.com/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Bilelektrisk/Strombryter/Tenningslas-43076/
    It has:
    • Universal threepositioning ignitionlock. Has following functions: off, ignition and start (rebounding/momentary).
    • Delivers with 2 keys.
    • Screw-connection.
    • Mountinghole: 25 mm.
    So I want it to be exactly like this: You turn it on like a normal car. You twist the key to a certain point, and it springs back. Like in the video
    The normal power button should not be involved. You just turn the key to start and stop. And I was wondering, in this situation the way I want this, it is possible to take the key out without turning the power off and do you turn it off by twisting it in the same direction again?

4. Switching Function Keys' Use

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Switching Function Keys' Use

1. Switching Function Keys' Use - Similar Threads - Switching Function Keys'

2. permanate switch function keys with media keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    permanate switch function keys with media keys: is there a way to make the function keys automaticly do the media function? i want to remove the need to press the fn key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanate-switch-function-keys-with-media-keys/55a044d4-f48a-43a5-93f2-2cc8c171ce92
  3. permanate switch function keys with media keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    permanate switch function keys with media keys: is there a way to make the function keys automaticly do the media function? i want to remove the need to press the fn key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanate-switch-function-keys-with-media-keys/55a044d4-f48a-43a5-93f2-2cc8c171ce92
  4. function keys switches

in Windows 10 Customization
    function keys switches: Running Windows 10. Image below is similar to my keyboardMy function key has flipped. Here's what I mean. Look at the "F1 /audio mute" key. Initially, if I wanted to select the mute option, I pressed the F1 key. Now I have to press both the Fn key and the F1key to mute. What...
  5. Using function keys to switch programs/windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using function keys to switch programs/windows: Is it possible to (natively) assign the F keys to bring to the forefront different programs or windows that are currently open? I've started a new job that has a lot of Windows automation/script/shortcut action going on and I really like this function. Haven't had a chance...
  6. Start and Alt keys have switched function on external keyboard

Start and Alt keys have switched function on external keyboard: Hi there, I'm running bootcamp on my Mac and using a Logitech K850 keyboard. This morning I noticed that the Start and Alt keys have switched functions. I'm trying to use excel and it is terribly frustrating when using shortcuts. I would love any suggestions to fix....
  7. 2 Key Functions Switched on Razer Keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 Key Functions Switched on Razer Keyboard: I have a Razer keyboard that I plug into my Dell laptop, and the Razer Synapse software that controls the keyboard is up to date and works fine, and I've determined is not the issue. However, the "c" key on my external keyboard somehow became partially bound to the alt key,...
  8. switching f# keys function

switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...
  9. WUse the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WUse the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to...: Hi Dear, I am using the windows 10 on my dell inspiron laptop, but after the update I am not able to turn on wireless capability. Where can I find the function keys to turn on the wireless...
  10. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?: i have a cyberpower fangbook 3, normally to change the volume i have to press fn+ f9 or f8 just to change the volume. I would like to change that so that i dont have to press the FN key to do things like that but unlike any other laptop i had theres no way to do that as far...