Windows 10: Switching hard drives via recovery usb?

Discus and support Switching hard drives via recovery usb? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Windows 10 here. Amatuer PC knowledge switched to PC after decade w/mac. Bought new PC from custom build company. Received Unmountable Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bksrk88, Jan 11, 2021.

1. bksrk88 Win User

Switching hard drives via recovery usb?

Hello.

Windows 10 here. Amatuer PC knowledge switched to PC after decade w/mac. Bought new PC from custom build company.

Received Unmountable Boot Volume error after forced shutdown. The PC gets stuck in loop of restart, volume boot error. I've tried every troubleshooting guide I found on the matter, but only to dead ends, most of them saying "...then it could be your hard drive is damaged." The main hard drive is a westernd digital 500gb solid state. A secondary hard drive is installed, and hasn't been used, though I think it's partioned as D don't know if that matters or not. My question is, assuming the problem is related to the solid state drive and I'm using a recovery usb, how do I go about installing windows 10 on the other hard drive, while I take out the other and send it in?

Since this could also be a problem: The company who built the pc also sent me the recovery usb w/windows 10 on it. I know you have to normally set that up before you can use it, but I assumed I know, I know the company already had set up the recovery usb on their end. I'm assuming they did because I'm able to tap f11 and boot from the usb. If the windows 10 recovery was never formatted I wouldn't be able to even have the option of booting from that would I?

:)

bksrk88, Jan 11, 2021

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jan 11, 2021
  3. RaylenMax Win User
    Computer not reading USB recovery drive

Andre,

I went through the steps to create a recovery drive on a USB stick per your instructions, changed the boot order, but the computer will not boot from the USB drive to begin recovery on a fresh hard drive. What am I missing?

Thank you.

Paul

RaylenMax, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Switching hard drives via recovery usb?

Computer not reading USB recovery drive

MarcelPloian, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Switching hard drives via recovery usb?

1. Switching hard drives via recovery usb? - Similar Threads - Switching hard drives

2. Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive: I have a HP Pavilion, 2021 model. It is running Windows 11, Came with windows 10.I have an imaging program R-Drive Image that I use for backup of my other pc. When I run the recovery USB on this laptop, the recovery program can't "see" the hard drive. It can only find the USB...
  3. Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive: I have a HP Pavilion, 2021 model. It is running Windows 11, Came with windows 10.I have an imaging program R-Drive Image that I use for backup of my other pc. When I run the recovery USB on this laptop, the recovery program can't "see" the hard drive. It can only find the USB...
  4. Hard Drive Switching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Switching: Hi All,I'm currently switching hard drives as I am out of space on my Primary Windows C: Drive. So I'm switching to a drive with more space. I have a recovery windows USB drive ready to go and an image back up on another drive as well made on Marcium. The problem I'm having...
  5. Hard Drive Switching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Switching: Hi All,I'm currently switching hard drives as I am out of space on my Primary Windows C: Drive. So I'm switching to a drive with more space. I have a recovery windows USB drive ready to go and an image back up on another drive as well made on Marcium. The problem I'm having...
  6. Hard Drive Switching

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Hard Drive Recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Recovery: I just bought a replacement Surface after sending in my broken one, I was wondering if it would be possible to get my hard drive with all my data on it back from microsoft or not? I looked through the service and repairs FAQ, and it said they wipe hard drives prior to...
  8. Hard drive recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive recovery: I have a Toshiba C55 laptop that originally had windows 10. It crashed so I bought a USB stick to fix it. Don't know if I chose the wrong option because I don't remember have a choice between 10 or 8.1 but I ended up with 8.1. This happened a couple of years ago so I used it...
  9. Wifi to nintendo switch via usb?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi to nintendo switch via usb?: I want to know if there is a way to share my ethernet connection from my pc and share it to my nintendo switch wired. (Make it act like a lan adapter) submitted by /u/Zacky4343 [link] [comments]...
  10. hard drive recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive recovery: I have formatted a desk top internal hard drive and seem to accidentally lost the ability to use it when I try to use it again with my windows 10 installation disc I get the message operating system cannot be found can anyone help Thanks alanty...