Windows 10: Switching Installations to a New Machine

Discus and support Switching Installations to a New Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Win 10 installed on my current Dell mid-tower - I downloaded the Win 10 installer and retrieved the installer activation "key." But I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tmhanser, Feb 27, 2018.

1. tmhanser Win User

Switching Installations to a New Machine

I have Win 10 installed on my current Dell mid-tower - I downloaded the Win 10 installer and retrieved the installer activation "key."

But I just purchased a newer Dell tower with no OS. I want to wipe the drive and install Win 10 fresh, using this same key. I have no use for the older Dell and will probably wipe the drive and give it away.

My question is, how does Microsoft handle the registration on a new machine, using this same activation key?

What should I expect?

Can I "un-activate" the older machine and simply activate the new one?

Thank you!

:)

tmhanser, Feb 27, 2018

2. Start Menu Titles Automatically Reset to Default

Thank you, it was creating a new administrator account and switching to using that that solved the problem.

For reference, the problem had occurred on a machine which had Windows 10 Home before, but I did a fresh install the day I posted this. All updates were downloaded and installed, and there were no hardware changes made to the machine.

Jonah Mills, Feb 27, 2018
  3. Migrating win 10 system to a new machine with a newer version of windows 10

I have decided to do an item by item re-install of my apps. Tedious and time-consuming but at least I should have complete control. Fortunately I have been keeping all the install programs and license codes on a USB drive. I may need to deactivate some
    apps on my old computer - or perhaps in a few cases buy extra licenses for my new machine.

BobHarris43, Feb 27, 2018
  4. Switching Installations to a New Machine

I have experience primarily with HP PCs, and Dells might be different, but with HP OEM PCs, the product key "locked" to the PC, meaning, it can't be transferred. So, if this is also true with Dell PCs, you can't "migrate" that installation to another PC.

Also, as far as I know, there is no way to "deactivate" an older PC.

If you had a Retail license, you would simply install the OS to the new PC and activate by entering the product key, or if that did not work, you could call Microsoft on a 1-800 number and get the new PC activated. But, MS will not provide any assistance for OEM licenses and will simply tell you to contact Dell.

Mark Phelps, Feb 27, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Switching Installations to a New Machine

1. Switching Installations to a New Machine - Similar Threads - Switching Installations Machine

2. BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation: I occasionally encounter BSOD with my new machine. Mostly running stable but without any real cause it could throw a BSOD and restart my system.Below are my minidumps:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=gbwlz9...
  3. BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation: I occasionally encounter BSOD with my new machine. Mostly running stable but without any real cause it could throw a BSOD and restart my system.Below are my minidumps:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=gbwlz9...
  4. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  5. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  6. Switching Machines vs Autohotkey.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching Machines vs Autohotkey.: Unable to find comment on this;3 PC setup, 7 monitors. I use MWB beautifully, with one odd exception that is driving me up the wall. I have all 3 copies of MWB set to honor Ctrl+Alt+number *1, 2, 3 to switch machines, i.e. move the active cursor to a different box. Doing...
  7. Trouble installing Windows 10 on a new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble installing Windows 10 on a new machine: I built a new computer over the weekend and I'm trying to install Windows 10 on it. I've purchased Windows 10 Pro and downloaded the .iso file to my MacBook Pro. I've tried to create the USB drive approximately 10 times using various techniques, but almost every time it...
  8. Installing Win10 on new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on new machine: Hey everyone, I'm selling a PC and am looking to install Windows on it for the new user. I have my own system with an ISO for Windows 10, as well as a blank 1TB hard drive intended for the PC being sold. I'm not entirely sure how to install the ISO on the blank hard drive so...
  9. How to switch to Administrator in new install

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to switch to Administrator in new install: Hi I've just reinstalled windows 10, signed in with my microsoft account but it seems I'm not an administrator. When I try to install anything I'm asked for an admin password (which I guessed is the same as my microsoft account). Apparently not. So how to I sign in as...
  10. Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing OneDrive etc on a new machine: Considering a new Lenovo Yogo laptop. Here is my question. *I have a HP desktop with Windows 7. The Lenovo would replace it. I have Picasa on it (for photos, from Google)…as well as Google Drive, and OneDrive, and Dropbox. *Picasa displays all the various folders I have...