Windows 10: Switching motherboards with Windows 10 UEFI installation

Discus and support Switching motherboards with Windows 10 UEFI installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, I didn't really know where to post this besides here. I currently plan on doing a clean install on a new ssd of Windows 10. My current mobo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rvynecim, Aug 22, 2015.

1. rvynecim Win User

Switching motherboards with Windows 10 UEFI installation

Hello all, I didn't really know where to post this besides here. I currently plan on doing a clean install on a new ssd of Windows 10. My current mobo is a ASUS P8z68-V which has UEFI so I plan on doing a UEFI installation of Windows 10. However, I plan on getting a new processor and motherboard sometime in the future, so would I have to do a reinstall of Windows 10 when I get my new motherboard, or could I expect it to boot up normally as would a traditional BIOS system would work? Thanks for reading!

:)

rvynecim, Aug 22, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

Hi!

You would have to know how to flash the bios recovery key to point the W10 recovery partition. It would be easier to delete all partitions and install W10 UEFI. If your motherboard supports it.

Do a search on installing Windows 10 UEFI.

Teddy2016, Aug 22, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Unknown Upgrade Issue

From the Images you have provided, I have traced your Motherboard, it is a ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0 and both the motherboard and your processor are 64bit.

Therefore you should be downloading and installing the 64bit version of Windows 10

Click HERE for your Motherboard Specs

It does not have UEFI support and has a legacy BIOS, It should be compatible with Windows 10 . . .

So, you have no need to worry about UEFI Boot, Secure Boot . . .

Basically you should be able to create the Windows 10 Installation Media on a Flash Drive and then boot from the Flash Drive and Install Windows 10 . . .

DaveM121, Aug 22, 2015
  4. socklosk Win User

Some backup software is geared toward restoring an image on different hardware. You may get by without it, but know that it's there. I never did this, however, and I would still worry about the differences between hardware.

socklosk, Aug 22, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Hi and welcome to the forum *Smile

Unless you currently have a 'standalone' license for Win10, you would have to purchase a second license of Win10 to complete the extensive hardware upgrade. This is because re-activation of Win10 would most likely fail if you try and use the original license. Having said that, it would still boot up normally whether or not it has successfully activated, though an Win10 OS that is not activated would not have full functionality

WhyMe, Aug 22, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    If you take your current Windows OS Drive and put in another PC with New MB. It will definitely boot up without any problem, It will bring back to the point where it says: Getting Your Devices Ready, meaning it will re-install all the drivers needed. However, it will not activate your Windows OS with new MB. Been there, done that many times.

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2015
  7. rvynecim Win User
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
    As many of you have pointed out, I would need a second Windows key, and I have that prepared already *Smile
    My main concern that swapping mobos under UEFI would behave differently from what I'm used to in BIOS. But apparently, that not an issue as you guys have said.

rvynecim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Switching motherboards with Windows 10 UEFI installation - Similar Threads - Switching motherboards UEFI

2. switch Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switch Legacy to UEFI: have Dell Inspiron 660, A12 BIOS 3/20/2018 currently have Legacy with Secure Boot disabled If I change to UEFI with Secure Boot enabled will W10 20H2 start up correctly? thanks (saw the W11 stream today) 181580
  3. Clean Install Windows 10 and switch from Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Install Windows 10 and switch from Legacy to UEFI: Hello, I have been experiencing BSODs and it has to do something with the kernel but anyways I would like to just clean install windows 10 and switch to UEFI. What are the steps in order to achieve this? submitted by /u/Remarkable-Rain8050 [link] [comments]...
  4. Legacy and UEFI switching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Legacy and UEFI switching: So, I have created a Windows To Go USB and it runs well but it’s UEFI, which is what I need to run it on my Mac. However, the other device that I need to use it on is on legacy, I believe it can switch to UEFI but it also already has data on. So if I switch it to UEFI , use...
  5. Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch: I recently had to swap out my motherboard after the last one giving out. My windows is now inactivated and I am unable to activate again. I am able to run slmgr /ipk with my key and get a successful activation. When I try to run slmgr /ato I receive a script host error...
  6. Switched out motherboard

Switched out motherboard: I have recently switched out my motherboard and am having difficulty finding where the Windows product key is located. My computer was activated before the motherboard switch but I am unsure what email I used as most of my old email accounts I no longer have access to...
  7. Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.

Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.: Hey everyone, before I switched my motherboard I got the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7. After I switched it I now have a grey letter in the bottom right stating "Activate Windows go to setting to activate windows." Which I have tried doing so and I've used the option...
  8. Switching Motherboards

Switching Motherboards: I have a Pre-Built Omen by HP computer that came with Windows 10. I'm switching out the motherboard with a new one so I was wondering if I need to buy windows 10 product key or not. I know its an OEM version but in the Activation settings it say "Windows is activated with a...
  9. UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...

UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...: Hey guys! I have an issue that's relatively specific, but maybe someone has experience with this topic. My friend moved to China and bought a used PC from a (not so tech-savvy) person. It came preinstalled with Win7, and he decided to do a clean install of Win10 on it. It's...
  10. Windows 10 Automatic Repair - switching between UEFI and non UEFI devi

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair - switching between UEFI and non UEFI devi: Hello. So i got automatic repair after changing boot order from UEFI USB KINGSTON to P1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO. I am able to get through to Windows 10 but after restart after automatic repair. So i am needing 2 boots now. Screen: [img] And my question is this related to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. repair uefi after motherboard switch