Windows 10: Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english

Discus and support Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been attempting to change my keyboard language for some time now I have already tried the obvious things such as going into settings and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Matt Harbaugh, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english

I have been attempting to change my keyboard language for some time now

I have already tried the obvious things such as going into settings and changing all of my settings to English and even syncing my Microsoft account settings. However, the problem still persists.

What should be done at this point?

:)

Matt Harbaugh, Jun 25, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

US keyboard + UK English

You could leave only the English UK language, but then you would have to remember that some symbols on your keyboard are on a different place when typing (such as @ and " and others).

spapakons, Jun 25, 2019
  3. After the latest update, the system language is UK English, with no option to change it.

Greetings.

So far, the system language of my Windows 10 copy was US English. After the last update, the system language -and the keyboard- changed to UK English. The option to remove it and replace it with another language and keyboard will not work.

I tried installing US International keyboard and removing the UK English keyboard and it worked for 10 minutes. After that, the UK English keyboard reappeared.

Since I am used to working with US English, suddenly using UK English keyboard -without having chosen to- is very inconvenient. Are there any suggestions for re-installing US English language and keyboard and removing UK English from my system?

Thank you in advance,

Giorgos

Giorgos_Kal, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english

OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

This is basically quite simple:

• If you have UK English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English, all characters are typed as shown on keys on your keyboard
    • If you have US English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English (or any other not matching physical keyboard / Windows input language combination), some characters will not be typed as shown on the keys. An example: US keyboard device shows the @ sign on the number key 2, and it is typed in US English input language with SHIFT + 2, but a UK English input method user gets a " from that same key. The fact that the key on keyboard shows @ is irrelevant because the chosen input method is different than physical keyboard device, therefore in this example you get " from that key
    If you are unsure, if your physical keyboard device is not that of your chosen Windows input method, open an on-screen keyboard to compare them and see what key produces what character.

Real life example:

My US physical keyboard device, and a few examples of the above using it with my chosen Windows input language Finnish. Took the photo just now, sorry about how dirty the keyboard is *Wink. Numbers in picture refer to explanations below the picture:

Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english [​IMG]

1. My Logitech American layout keyboard device shows that the & sign is SHIFT + 7, however I get / with that keyboard combination as in Finnish layout. To get & sign I need SHIFT + 6 instead
    2. My keyboard device shows that the key #2 in picture above gives [ and {, however I get å and Å from that key
    3. My keyboard device shows that key #3 in picture gives ; and :, however I get ö and Ö from that key
    4. My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #4 in picture gives <, however I get semicolon ; from that key combination
    5. My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #5 in picture gives >, however I get colon : from that key combination
    What is written on a key on the physical keyboard device has absolutely nothing to do with what is typed with that key in Windows. The deciding factor is what input method is selected in Windows.

About Cortana, it needs computer location and display language to match (speech for that language must be installed). I have absolutely no Cortana issues, having UK English Windows 10 display language, location set to United Kingdom, using Finnish input language with a physical American keyboard device, being physically in Germany.

Thema:

Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english

1. Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english - Similar Threads - Switching keyboard language

2. US-ENGLISH keyboard missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    US-ENGLISH keyboard missing: After I added the Chinese simplified keyboard I can't switch back to English-US keyboard. The English-US option does not even show up in the language bar. How do I solve this issue?...
  3. Unable to remove English UK keyboard language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove English UK keyboard language: I have 2 English keyboard languages: UK and US. I want to keep only US. But when I go to language & region settings, I can't find UK language to remove it....
  4. Unable to remove English UK keyboard language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove English UK keyboard language: I have 2 English keyboard languages: UK and US. I want to keep only US. But when I go to language & region settings, I can't find UK language to remove it....
  5. why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?: even after changing to UK english and making sure its set to default to UK in all settings it still goes to US https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-after-setting-languages-to-uk-english-does-it/ffdeced5-033e-472f-b89c-4158f4d2924d
  6. why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?: even after changing to UK english and making sure its set to default to UK in all settings it still goes to US https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-after-setting-languages-to-uk-english-does-it/ffdeced5-033e-472f-b89c-4158f4d2924d
  7. English UK.

in Windows 10 Customization
    English UK.: I keep getting: English USA when I select: 'Language,' even though I make it default English UK in the language box. It jumps back to: USA continuously. WhY? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/english-uk/5833a679-f4cd-483a-8750-82e703be2b84
  8. Can't remove UK English language

Can't remove UK English language: I'm used to the US English keyboard, but when I try to remove the UK English it stays in the languages. How can I fix it? PowerShell doesn't find UK English [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 Keyboard Set to UK English but works as US English

Windows 10 Keyboard Set to UK English but works as US English: Hello, We have recently upgraded all our machines to Windows 10 in the office from Windows 7 however it seems that after the upgrade some users have started getting US English keyboards. I have looked through Language settings in the settings area and nowhere does it...
  10. US keyboard + UK English

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    US keyboard + UK English: Is it possible to setup Windows so that it recognises that I have an ANSI layout, but that spell checking and such is in British English? 29942

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keyboard in english us and needs english uk

2. keyboard languages from uk to english us

3. uk us english windows @ and change

4. set this keyboard language to us english