Windows 10: Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account

Discus and support Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, here is my question. I recently had my Microsoft account compromised. Unfortunately I had not kept my phone number up to date in security so my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidGuss, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DavidGuss Win User

Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account

Hi, here is my question.

I recently had my Microsoft account compromised. Unfortunately I had not kept my phone number up to date in security so my only recovery option was the on-line form. This has not worked and looking at others with the same issue it never will.

So I have decided to bite the bullet.

I have set up a new Microsoft account and e-mail.

Problem is that my laptop was set up from new with my old account and e-mail and also I have a 365 and a one drive account on that old e-mail for file backup.

I understand that I have simply lost access now to that backed up data forever - that's okay.

I plan to purchase Office 365 on my new account and I need to switch my laptop over so that my new account is the one I sign in with and sync my files to the new one drive account also.

I have seen other posts about switching to a local account and then signing in with the new Microsoft account and I have a few questions:

- will this work in my situation?

- I see that the local account sign in has a step where you enter the password for the old Microsoft Account - this may ne a problem for me as I know the password but the account is compromised/blocked so the password may not work

- will I lose my local files by doing this since I'm signing in as a new account - should I back them up somewhere first.

- hopefully my apps will be okay because the new account will have a 365 account

Any tips to reduce the pain here will be appreciated! thanks

:)

DavidGuss, Jan 16, 2021

2. How to replace old Microsoft Account with a new Microsoft Account

Hi Hitendra,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

I would suggest you to switch your Microsoft account to a Local account first and then switch back with a new Microsoft account. Please refer to the following steps:

Step 1:

• Type Manage your accounts
      in the search bar and click on it
    • Click on "sign in with a local account instead"
    • Press next and complete the process.
    • If you do not have a local account, leave the credentials blank and proceed.

Step 2: Now, on the newly converted Local account, follow these steps to add a new MSA.

1. In the Start search, type "Manage your accounts" and press Enter.

2. Choose 'Accounts'.

3. Click on "sign in with a local account instead"

4. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jan 16, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

4. Kari Win User

Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

1. Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account - Similar Threads - Switching Microsoft account

2. Switching my account on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching my account on PC: I added a new account to my PC because i ran into problems on my old account, since those problems now dont occur on my second account, is it possible for my to change my main account on the PC to the second account? I want to remove the 1st account because it takes too much...
  3. Switching my account on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching my account on PC: I added a new account to my PC because i ran into problems on my old account, since those problems now dont occur on my second account, is it possible for my to change my main account on the PC to the second account? I want to remove the 1st account because it takes too much...
  4. Closed my Microsoft Account but cannot switch my PC's Admin account now to my new Microsoft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closed my Microsoft Account but cannot switch my PC's Admin account now to my new Microsoft...: Hello! So I had two Microsoft accounts, I decided to close one and did so. But now I realize the email that was associated with it is the same email for my PC's Administrator and I cannot switch the email for my PC Admin account unless I log into it's Microsoft account. Is it...
  5. Closed my Microsoft Account but cannot switch my PC's Admin account now to my new Microsoft...

Closed my Microsoft Account but cannot switch my PC's Admin account now to my new Microsoft...: Hello! So I had two Microsoft accounts, I decided to close one and did so. But now I realize the email that was associated with it is the same email for my PC's Administrator and I cannot switch the email for my PC Admin account unless I log into it's Microsoft account. Is it...
  6. ACCESSING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT ON NEW PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ACCESSING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT ON NEW PC: A friend bought a new PC . When he set it up he typed in the wrong email address as user name. as a result all the security verification is going to an email account he cannot access. He compunded the problem by not adding his mobile number. Now we cannot do it as we need to...
  7. ACCESSING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT ON NEW PC

ACCESSING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT ON NEW PC: A friend bought a new PC . When he set it up he typed in the wrong email address as user name. as a result all the security verification is going to an email account he cannot access. He compunded the problem by not adding his mobile number. Now we cannot do it as we need to...
  8. Removing Microsoft Work or School Account After Losing Access to the Account

Removing Microsoft Work or School Account After Losing Access to the Account: In my previous job I had a Microsoft Work account. When I left that position, I, of course, lost access to the account but it was stuck on my personal computer for months. I searched but no one had a workable solution. Then I stumbled upon it. I am on Windows 10 latest...
  9. Removing Microsoft Work or School Account After Losing Access to the Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing Microsoft Work or School Account After Losing Access to the Account: In my previous job I had a Microsoft Work account. When I left that position, I, of course, lost access to the account but it was stuck on my personal computer for months. I searched but no one had a workable solution. Then I stumbled upon it. I am on Windows 10 latest...
  10. Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.: I just built a new PC and when i went to register my Windows i accidentally linked it to a very old account which appears to be an xbox account from 15 years ago. Is there a way to unlink it from that account and relink it to my current Microsoft account which has all my...