Windows 10: Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803

Discus and support Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After the upgrade to RedStone 4 , I found it very difficult to shut-down ( switch off) of my external HDDs . When clicking on "safe remove" in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pietcorus2, May 17, 2018.

1. Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803

After the upgrade to RedStone 4 , I found it very difficult to shut-down ( switch off) of my external HDDs .
    When clicking on "safe remove" in the taskbar , I often get " still in use " !
    I wonder ; in use , by what ........!!

Only reboot allows a safely remove of this HDDs , what to do about this ?
    Someone recognized this problem also..........? Any solution..........?

:)

pietcorus2, May 17, 2018

2. usb external HDD fat32 support ?

i have updated to WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY .. it made my PC and LAPTOP to stop recognising FAT32 EXTERNAL usb HDD 2TB. i had to revert back to older version of windows 10 in order to access the external-HDD

can you confirm that windows 10 latest update support FAT32 external usb drives?

khalidjamil, May 17, 2018
  3. USB3 External HDD Keep going off line

I recently had a major windows 10 upgrade on my PC and since then my 2 USB3 external HDD drives keep disappearing and then appearing when I try to copy from one to the other.

For example - I am currently "trying" to copy 90gb from one to the other using Richcopy 4 - I gave up on file explorer.

While typing this message out - both HDD's have gone on & off 10-12 times.

File explorer flashes up as it recognises the drives - Richcopy starts copying again, then a min later they are all gone again.

The Ex Drives do not switch off both stay turned on.

I have changed the power management so that both the internal & USB drives stay on - but this does not seem to be working.

The HDD drivers are up to date

Does anyone one have a solution - other than rolling back windows.

Help...!!!!

JimMouratdis, May 17, 2018
Thema:

Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803

1. Switching off external HDDs in latest Win10 1803 - Similar Threads - Switching off external

2. Increasing performance of External HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  3. switch off Windows Defender notification in Windows 1803 10S

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    switch off Windows Defender notification in Windows 1803 10S: Hi Stuck with 1803. Stuck with 10S Home. The Defender Notification icon always cries wolf exclamation in yellow triangle due to my configuration. To underestimate, this is a significant annoyance for me. I did some internet chasing to try to figure out how to turn it...
  4. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  5. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  6. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  7. Monitor (television) switches off again and again (win10)?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor (television) switches off again and again (win10)?: Hello, since I have Windows 10, my monitor or the TV I use as a monitor switches off again and again, or the communication breaks down. This worked fine for windows 7 and only started when I installed win 10. It always happens by chance, without a reason. Sometimes every...
  8. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  9. Win10 update 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update 1803: HI, Since already few weeks Win10 updating is not finished. I observe also some problems with my C:\ driver. All folders are ALWAYS ReadOnly. I've tried different solutions including Command attr. without any effect. Additionally, when any driver is connected on the USB his...
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...