Windows 10: Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users

Discus and support Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have an Acer laptop, I am on pay as you go mobile broadband. I use a dongle. I pay £10 for 1GB every 30 days. I realise I don't pay a lot for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Philip321, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Philip321 Win User

Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users

Hello, I have an Acer laptop, I am on pay as you go mobile broadband. I use a dongle. I pay £10 for 1GB every 30 days. I realise I don't pay a lot for broadband but it is all I can afford.Therefore is it possible for Microsoft to allow Windows 10 Home users to switch off Window 10 Feature updates PERMANTENTLY, so I have enough gigabytes to use Windows 10 each month, without it taking away my data to try and download much larger feature updates.We didn't have regular feature updates with Windows 7 and it wasn't a problem then.Mobile broadband users would still be updated with security updates

:)

Philip321, Aug 15, 2021
  2. Andreas Spengler, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Data trough 4G mobile broadband connection blocked when ethernet connected

Hi Robert,

It appears that Windows is managing your connection. It only allows you to connect to your mobile broadband connection if you're not connected to either Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. To work around this behavior, I suggest disabling this feature to allow
    you to manually connect to your cellular or mobile connection. Please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Cellular.
    2. Uncheck the box for Let Windows manage this connection.
    3. Once done, try connecting manually to your mobile broadband while Ethernet is connected and see if it works.

For more information about mobile broadband connection, please check out,
    Cellular settings in Windows 10

Please update this thread with the result so I'll be able to assist you further if needed.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 15, 2021
  4. Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users

Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband

Before I return to 10 home version (reverted back to 8.1 for a few months), there are a few issues I can see and experienced when using the new system which need to be clarified/fixed before I go back to 10.

Whilst it is fine using my home landline network to update a laptop and my desktop, the Updates and reporting when using Mobile Broadband will:

1. Switch on my laptop when 'on the road' and then my bandwidth is eaten up by the updates and data reporting.

2. Mobile Broadband is expensive and when the windows log files and updates action, it can eat up about 0.4 gb a day.

As you can't control the timing of the updates and log data, this is making using Mobile Broadband frustrating and very expensive!

For example, a couple of weeks ago, using 10, I had about 0.5gb of data allowance remaining on my dongle. Switched on the laptop and reporting/updates amounted to 0.4gb. Leaving me unable to use my laptop for the duration I needed it for.

I appreciate the need for updates/reporting, but Microsoft seem to be oblivious to the needs and cost to Mobile Broadband users.

Would switching over to Windows 10 pro overcome these issues, as I understand that with this version you can schedule updates and reporting?

Basically, schedule the updates for when linked to an unlimited broadband home network rather than costly mobile broadband with data limits. The cost of Windows 10 pro would soon be recouped by savings on Mobile broadband.

willington, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users

1. Switching off feature updates for mobile broadband users - Similar Threads - Switching off feature

2. Huawei mobile broadband connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Huawei mobile broadband connection: I use windows 11 upgrading recently from windows 7.My only means of connection to internet is my usb router : huawei mobile broadband model E3216.Since my upgrade and my uploading of all recent updates suggested by the windows update, my USB doesn't connect to internet. It...
  3. Mobile Broadband connection issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Broadband connection issue: Hello, win10 on HP Elite book 8470p is blocking mobile broadband access. SIM card is fine, just tried it in neighbours computer. I am with Optus, their support techs say "everything is ok" on their network. SIM card check agrees. Yesterday while in Network & Internet Settings...
  4. No Updates on mobile broadband

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Updates on mobile broadband: I am on Windows 10. I regularly use a mobile broadband dongle. I pay £10 every 30 days and get 1GB.A typical update came through today on Windows 10 at 532mb!That is far too much for mobile broadband dongle users. I didn't have enough data so it failed and all my data was...
  5. Can feature updates be switched off?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can feature updates be switched off?: Do you know if it's possible to switch off feature updates on Windows 10 and only allow security updates? Or would Microsoft consider this?I'm on 1GB pay as you go mobile broadband every 30 days and top up with vouchers so need to make it last the month.Do you know if feature...
  6. Mobile Broadband Capability is turned off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile Broadband Capability is turned off: Hi, I am currently using a desktop PC with Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.295 I'm trying to use a Mobile Broadband Adapter with my desktop (specifically a Sierra Wireless MC7430 Mini-PCIe Modem) plugged into a Mini-PCIe to USB adapter. The modem is installed...
  7. Mobile Broadband adapter Cellular

Mobile Broadband adapter Cellular: Hello everyone.i am using Dell Latitude E6420.I installed Sierra MC8355 cellular adapter.it is working fine.My question is that can i use cellular connection to make Voice calls through My laptop? If yes then Kindly guide me the procedure.Thanks in Advance....
  8. Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband: Before I return to 10 home version (reverted back to 8.1 for a few months), there are a few issues I can see and experienced when using the new system which need to be clarified/fixed before I go back to 10. Whilst it is fine using my home landline network to update a...
  9. No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband!: Hi everyone, I am running windows 10 pro and now i want to update my system using "Windows Updates". The problem is that Windows Update is showing numerous new updates for the system but i have a mobile broadband (ie. usb dongle type) for internet purposes over which i want...
  10. Mobile broadband connection

Mobile broadband connection: Windows 10 Help says that I should have a Mobile connection link under Network and Internet, I don't. By luck I managed to connect my dongle because Windows saw it as a drive. I now need to be able to use the Mobile link in order to set my connection to metered so that I...