Windows 10: Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop

Discus and support Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, My desktop is currently linked to my ex's account. I had bought him the desktop and we shared it while we were together, but his account is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by UrsaNova, Feb 17, 2021.

1. UrsaNova Win User

Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop

Hi there,

My desktop is currently linked to my ex's account. I had bought him the desktop and we shared it while we were together, but his account is the primary one. Unfortunately, this means that I can't make many changes and my account is additional. I can't even change the background because it somehow syncs up with his laptop, so he controls it. Luckily we're still on good terms but I'd like privacy in this case.

How do I set my Microsoft account as primary? Would that become an issue with his device?

Thanks,

J. UrsaNova

:)

UrsaNova, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Mr Ister Win User

Question after switching primary MS account

So I recently switched my primary MS account from the email I used originally, to the email I currently use for my Xbox account, so I can link up purchases of media content between my console and PC. I followed the steps laid out in another thread here where I switched to a local account, and then switched back to the email account I wished to use.

One the main account page, it correctly states my email, but when I open the App Store, it still displays my old/original email used. I can't sign out of it or anything, but curiously, when I click on my email in the top right and click 'View Account' it takes me to the Microsoft account for the correct email (new email I used/switched to). Perhaps its just slow, or will update upon a complete reboot, but has this happened to anyone else? Can I make purchases from the App Store and will they tie to my new account or my old one?

Mr Ister, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Primary Account - Affiliated with wrong Live Account e-mail

Hi Yoshi,

As per your query, you can sign into Local Account
    and then you can switch back to Microsoft Account. While
    switching back to another account, you can provide the New E-mail Account.

I suggest you to follow the below steps;

• Click on Start Icon.

• Select Settings from the menu.

• Click on Accounts.

• Select the option Sign in with a
      Local Account Instead

• Once you are logged in to the Local Account,
      repeat step 1 to step 3.

• Now, select the option Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead.

(In this method you can provide your new account)
    Note: The above steps will help you to switch to users, which will act as primary account, but it will not synchronize your personal settings. The default settings will be set to
    the user account.

Hope the given information is helpful. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy assist.

Thank you.

RiyazurRehman, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop

Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop

1. Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop - Similar Threads - Switching Primary Accounts

2. how do i switch primary account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i switch primary account: windows 11 how do i switch primary account email address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-primary-account/80458a02-c34e-4cea-958e-de494e6f0fc9
  3. how do i switch primary account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i switch primary account: windows 11 how do i switch primary account email address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-primary-account/80458a02-c34e-4cea-958e-de494e6f0fc9
  4. How to switch primary GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch primary GPU: Hey there!Recently, I installed new software for my AMD GPU. So I realized that my actually GPU AMD Radeon RX 6600 is GPU 0, meaning it was barely being used when I was playing and actually my AMD Radeon Graphics where GPU 1, so they where the main/primary GPU. I tried to...
  5. How to switch primary GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch primary GPU: Hey there!Recently, I installed new software for my AMD GPU. So I realized that my actually GPU AMD Radeon RX 6600 is GPU 0, meaning it was barely being used when I was playing and actually my AMD Radeon Graphics where GPU 1, so they where the main/primary GPU. I tried to...
  6. Changing primary accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing primary accounts: Hi,my father gave me the laptop I'm currently using as a gift several years ago, I never got around to swapping main accounts as i could just log in as my email, steam, and so on as myself with no issue. However recently I've been trying to add apps to my device via the...
  7. Remove and Switch PRIMARY Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove and Switch PRIMARY Microsoft account: The main user account I use on my PC is signed in to my sisters old email and is currently being used as the primary Microsoft account Note that she recently deactivated her account so had to be reactivated in order to confirm identity. I want to remove said account and...
  8. Switching to a secondary account without signing out of the primary account results in a...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Switching to a secondary account without signing out of the primary account results in a...: Hi all, I hope someone can help me with this because it's driving me nuts. I recently built a brand new PC and installed Windows 10 Education on it with a key I received from my university. Everything seems to work fine, but when I try switching to a secondary account...
  9. Primary accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Primary accounts: I am having trouble removing a primary account. I added an account I no longer have access to and it's asking me to verify it, (I have access to the Microsoft account but it is linked to a Gmail that no longer exists). I am looking for a way I can remove this and just add...
  10. Question after switching primary MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question after switching primary MS account: So I recently switched my primary MS account from the email I used originally, to the email I currently use for my Xbox account, so I can link up purchases of media content between my console and PC. I followed the steps laid out in another thread here where I switched to a...