Windows 10: Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

Discus and support Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two SSD's one an NVME M.2 and I want to switch the OS from my old one to my new one(NVME). Freeing up all the space in the old drive to put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RyanCombs1, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

I have two SSD's one an NVME M.2 and I want to switch the OS from my old one to my new one(NVME). Freeing up all the space in the old drive to put files on I need fast access to.

:)

RyanCombs1, Dec 8, 2018
  2. little cat, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Dec 8, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

1. Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next - Similar Threads - Switching boot drive

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Switching boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching boot drive: Hello, so I’ve got an issue that I’m not sure is possible to fix without losing data. I have both a 500gb m.2 nvme ssd and a 500gb hdd. Well I’ve been using both drives for awhile now and I could have sworn that I had the windows 10 boot drive set on the ssd. Now I’m planning...
  4. One Drive transfer from One computer to next

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive transfer from One computer to next: I bought a new computer and set up my previous OneDrive account on my new computer. However, all but my most recent folder transferred over. Also, old folders transferred with the name however the inside of every folder transferred to my new PC is blank. How do I get all my...
  5. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  6. Transfer from one computer to a next

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer from one computer to a next: I purchased a new computer and will like to continue using excel but I do not have the product key What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-from-one-computer-to-a-next/950d7e79-1d37-40d5-9f7b-acf33e9d5a03
  7. Switching boot drive

Switching boot drive: Hi all, I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD and would like to add a Samsung 970 M.2 and change it to the boot drive. How do I properly format the new 970 M.2 as the primary boot drive and remove all of the Windows files from the 850 SSD? I have a Windows 10...
  8. How to switch backups from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to switch backups from one drive to another: My computer had Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I was using the Windows Backup program but my drive ran out of room and it had to stop backing up and gave me errors. Now I bought a new 8 TB usb external drive. I changed my settings to back up to that drive and it...
  9. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  10. Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive

Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive: Hi A few years ago I built a gaming computer with a 128GB SSD boot drive and I would now like to replace this with a larger drive. Is there a simple way to move the OS (64 bit) from the old boot drive to the new one or am I going to have to buy a new key?...