Windows 10: Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

Discus and support Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two SSD's one an NVME M.2 and I want to switch the OS from my old one to my new one(NVME). Freeing up all the space in the old drive to put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RyanCombs1, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

I have two SSD's one an NVME M.2 and I want to switch the OS from my old one to my new one(NVME). Freeing up all the space in the old drive to put files on I need fast access to.

:)

RyanCombs1, Dec 8, 2018
  2. little cat, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Dec 8, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next

1. Switching the OS from one boot drive to the next - Similar Threads - Switching boot drive

2. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  3. Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS: I have a fairly powerful work laptop with lots of IT/admin software loaded. I am unable to install any of my own apps, so bought a second drive, installed my own copy of win10 and run dual boot. Everything was fine. I’m guessing work saw the second drive though and found a...
  4. Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive: Hi A few years ago I built a gaming computer with a 128GB SSD boot drive and I would now like to replace this with a larger drive. Is there a simple way to move the OS (64 bit) from the old boot drive to the new one or am I going to have to buy a new key?...
  5. cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd: after i cloned my hard drive to my ssd and then went into the bios and changed the boot order, it still loads windows very slow and when i do benchmarks on my computer they all tell me if i switch my boot drive to my ssd i could have faster load times....
  6. Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install: I am installing an SSD and Windows 10 at the same time. Need to know how to change the boot drive to the Windows 10 USB. Currently on Windows 7. Thanks...
  7. Fading from one photo to the next photo.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fading from one photo to the next photo.: Hello - I just started using Windows 10 Photos App. Everything seems straightforward to me but one item. Is there no way to transition from one photo to the next with a simple fade for a video project? I have spent quite a lot of time looking for it with no luck....
  8. Boot from one drive, and run Windows from another

Boot from one drive, and run Windows from another: So... I have an old HP Z600 workstation which is pretty awesome with dual Xeons and 48GB of ECC ram. My problem is that storage speed is a huge bottleneck. Due to its age the motherboard and BIOS only support SATA II (3 GB/s) which limits the speed of a SSD. I found a Marvel...
  9. Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot failing on occasion, boots from drive that does not have OS: I have 3 drives. A 60GB Intel SSD which my OS is installed on, a Samsung 120GB SSD which has just games, and a 1TB HDD for all my other media and documents. A while back my power cut out and when trying to reboot it would fail until I tried booting from my 120GB SSD, which...
  10. Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting: Often, when I'm repairing a computer, I need to know what OS was running on one that won't boot. However, I can boot using a live CD and examine the files. Maybe a Linux live CD. So, now that I can see the files, where does one look in order to know what the Windows OS...