Windows 10: Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Discus and support Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GDavid, May 15, 2017.

1. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

:)

GDavid, May 15, 2017
  2. J_J_MAC Win User

SYmbolic Links and Junctions

Thanks for you help RobertUWin. Got my problem solved with your help. When I first attempted to set up the the junction by using this command

mklink /J "C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" "D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data",

I had not first deleted the User Data directory from the Chrome folder. So I started over, removed the User Data directory from the
    C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data location, put it at
    D:\Chrome Cache and Profile\User Data, then made the junction and everything worked as it should have.

J_J_MAC, May 15, 2017
  3. SYmbolic Links and Junctions

Hi,

Since this issue involves modifying the data storage for Chrome and is beyond the scope of these forums you need to be working with Chrome Support and Forums and possibly MSDN or TechNet.

Google Chrome Support

Google Chrome Help

Google Chrome Forums

Google Groupes

MSDN - Forums

Msdn forums

MSDN - Where is the Forum For…?

Msdn forums - Where is the Forum For…?

TechNet - Forums

Technet forums

TechNet - Where is the Forum For…?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whatforum/threads

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right

SpiritX MS MVP, May 15, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Fafhrd, May 15, 2017
  5. GDavid Win User
    Thankyou, I'll work my way through and get back with results...

GDavid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction? - Similar Threads - Symbolic link Junction

2. EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link: Hi all,Have been using EdgeDev, EdgeBeta & Edge for years with the User Data folder stored on an internal HDD F: while the main program files are installed on C: OS SSD. This is to prevent wear of my SSD with constant read/writes by the browsers. Many other apps are installed...
  3. EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link: Hi all,Have been using EdgeDev, EdgeBeta & Edge for years with the User Data folder stored on an internal HDD F: while the main program files are installed on C: OS SSD. This is to prevent wear of my SSD with constant read/writes by the browsers. Many other apps are installed...
  4. EdgeDev App fails to load when EdgeDev data is on junction symbolic link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  6. Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Appcrash when using symbolic link or junction for User Data: Greetings, See below a copy of a post on Google Chrome Support Forum. No reply received and closed now. Two simple questions : a. Does anyone else observe this problem when pointing Chrome User Data to another drive. b. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem....
  7. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links: My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop...
  8. Using/understanding junctions and links

in Windows 10 Support
    Using/understanding junctions and links: My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD). [img] The properties for the files show the C:...
  9. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  10. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows chrome profile ntfs mklink