Windows 10: Symbols are not displayed after Windows update

Discus and support Symbols are not displayed after Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I encountered this problem after the Windows update in October. The symbols like a star symbol are not displayed instead I see a square that usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by guitarkingseyesguitarking, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Symbols are not displayed after Windows update

I encountered this problem after the Windows update in October. The symbols like a star symbol are not displayed instead I see a square that usually appears when the symbol cannot be displayed

:)

guitarkingseyesguitarking, Oct 16, 2018

2. symbols only displaying after another key is pressed.

Hi Alex,

Virus and malware could be one of the possible reasons why you're having trouble with symbols on your keyboard. To isolate the issue, we'd like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you made any recent changes to your device before the issue started?
    • Did you encounter any error messages while typing the symbols?
    • Can you tell us the troubleshooting steps that you've performed?

Meanwhile, we suggest scanning your device using an antivirus program and see if it's infected by a virus.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Ronalene Mat, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Erroneous symbols at the bottom left corner of desktop icons

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. A few days ago, the icons for objects on the desktop changed appearance. The icons are correct but
    all have a symbol at the bottom left corner:

• Shortcuts show the correct shortcut symbol
    • All files erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Almost all folders erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Some folders erroneously show "X"

The icons for files and folders (including the Desktop folder) displayed using File Explorer are all normal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

KenSympson, Oct 16, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Symbols are not displayed after Windows update

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Symbols are not displayed after Windows update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

Symbols are not displayed after Windows update

1. Symbols are not displayed after Windows update - Similar Threads - Symbols are displayed

2. wifi symbol is missing after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi symbol is missing after update: After updating to windows 11 from windows 10, wifi symbol is missing and background intellignt service is not starting. Troubleshooting is not working for network and BITS. I have also tried sfc scan and dism command, these commands found some corrupt files but unable to fix...
  3. wifi symbol is missing after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi symbol is missing after update: After updating to windows 11 from windows 10, wifi symbol is missing and background intellignt service is not starting. Troubleshooting is not working for network and BITS. I have also tried sfc scan and dism command, these commands found some corrupt files but unable to fix...
  4. No HDMI display after update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No HDMI display after update?: Recently, when ever I turn my pc on, the HDMI has no input. Everywhere else I've looked keeps talking about updating drivers or enter in safe mode. Basically anything that you have to have the display for. Which I cant do any of it since I have no display. This was only after...
  5. Display of a bizarre window with and 'F' symbol

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Display of a bizarre window with and 'F' symbol: [ATTACH]Since a few weeks, every time I start my computer, a window with an 'F' symbol in the upper left corner appears. I can see this window only if I press 'alt-tab' to scroll among the different opened apps. I have no idea where it came from or what it does. I can remove...
  6. Screen display after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display after update: My update completed on my Asus laptop today. My screen is now skewed. In the center 1/3 the graphics look alright. Proper icon size, text, colors etc. This is 1/2 of my formerly full display. The left 1/3 is skewed smaller and to the left further with the text and...
  7. Display Freezing After Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display Freezing After Windows Update: My screen is freezing whenever I update my display driver All programs are running in the background except the screen hangs The freezing stops when I use old display driver version Nvidia 388 But when I have a windows update or update the driver higher than Nvidia driver...
  8. Dates and hours being displayed as weird symbols

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dates and hours being displayed as weird symbols: Good afternoon dear all, I've been trying to change my Windows 10 display language from PT to DE but all that I managed to do was to mess up the Date and Hours format and change its display to weird symbols pic showing how the hours and dates looks like :...
  9. battery percentage symbol displaying after shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    battery percentage symbol displaying after shut down: why my lenovo 330s laptop with windows 10 showing battery percentage symbol after shutdown . if we are pressing any key in keyboard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-percentage-symbol-displaying-after-shut/cab920d4-9082-4073-b410-24be3075956d
  10. Alt+Number displays wrong symbols

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt+Number displays wrong symbols: Hi, I've just discovered that my ALT symbols don't work correctly. For instance ALT+156 on the right hand keypad (which should produce the Pound sign) now yields ♠ - and so on ALT+157 = •, ALT+158 = ◘ etc. Can somebody help me? (it doesn't matter whether I type the "+" as...