Windows 10: Symlinks in Windows 10

Discus and support Symlinks in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Symlinks in Windows 10

Source: Symlinks in Windows 10! - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows

:)

Brink, Dec 2, 2016

2. How do I stop Windows 10 File Explorer from navigating to symlinks and folder shortcuts?

My posting applies to "directory" symlinks and "Network locations" as added with Windows Explorer / File Explorer, and
    not to "junction" symlinks as mentioned by Frederik.

For these, the behavior has changed as indicated. It is possible to press the little navigation chevrons without "jumping" to the destination path, but as soon as one clicks on the symlink name / shortcut name itself, Windows 10 File Explorer leaves that
    portion of the navigation tree. Attempts to navigate "up" will navigate to the parent folder on the share, NOT the parent folder of the symlink / shortcut.

As I understand it, "junction" symlinks are only available for local drives, and most of my "directory" symlinks and "Network locations" point to shared folders on servers.

Cornan The Iowan, Dec 2, 2016
  3. How do I stop Windows 10 File Explorer from navigating to symlinks and folder shortcuts?

In Windows 7, I used (numerous) [directory] symlinks and some "network locations" (AKA folder shortcuts) to create "synthetic" folder structures. For example, starting with real Windows folders:

C:\$data

C:\$data\DEV

C:\$data\PROD

... I added in directory symlinks to network locations "all over" our enterprise:

C:\$data\PROD\file upload (link to a network share)

C:\$data\PROD\submit (link to a second network share)

C:\$data\PROD\traffic (link to a third network share)

===

When I navigated those folder structures in Windows Explorer (again, Windows 7) it appeared I was navigating a "real" folder structure. When I clicked on "submit" I would see the files in submit, but the focus in File Explorer would remain at "C:\$data\prod\submit"
    (i.e. the symlink) and I could drill down to sub-folders or go back up-level to other directory symlinks.

===

On Windows 10, when I click on a directory symlink of folder shortcut, Windows 10 File Explorer navigates to the destination path, in other words, away from my folder structure of symlinks. This is not in keeping with the spirit of symlinks.

===

To return to the folder structure I have to navigate back away from the network section of File Explorer.

===

As a work-around, how can I restore the more prototypical symlink behavior, so that when I click on a symlink, Windows 10 File Explorer will keep the symlink in focus and not jump to the network path?

===

How can I report this bug to Microsoft?

Cornan The Iowan, Dec 2, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Symlinks in Windows 10

I'd like to see this move into the GUI interface. Not sure how it would be done but I think it would get a lot more use. Also, all symlinks should be readily identified so there is no confusion between the real folder or file and the symlink.

Ztruker, Dec 2, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 2, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks, I had forgotten all about that. I've not used it since 2013 or so. I'll have to play with it again.

Would be nice to see this in Windows 10 without any external software needed.

Ztruker, Dec 3, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Been using that for years. The documentation alone is a work of art! Easy right-click context menu usage. Just was updated April this year for W10 compatibility.

??? - Where is this build 14972 the article refers to?

f14tomcat, Dec 3, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Symlinks in Windows 10

It was the Current Canary apparently, though that's now seems to be 10.0.14985.1000
    BuildFeed: The Windows build tracker

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Symlinks in Windows 10

1. Symlinks in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Symlinks

2. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10: I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10 or its in C:\Users\current_user_name\Local\But this does not seems to be the case for me.I am looking for this because it...
  3. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10: I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10 or its in C:\Users\current_user_name\Local\But this does not seems to be the case for me.I am looking for this because it...
  4. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir: Hi there,I got a problem about msi installer and think that it's a bug. Could you confirm that, and can someone fix this?I symlink-ed a dir by `cmd /c mklink /d C:\symlink C:\target`The msi installer cannot run if the current dir is `C:\symlink`, and it's okay for...
  6. Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir

Cannot run msi installer from a symlink current dir: Hi there,I got a problem about msi installer and think that it's a bug. Could you confirm that, and can someone fix this?I symlink-ed a dir by `cmd /c mklink /d C:\symlink C:\target`The msi installer cannot run if the current dir is `C:\symlink`, and it's okay for...
  7. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  8. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  9. use same settings for an app across windows users with symlinks?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    use same settings for an app across windows users with symlinks?: hello there, i have that program (not an MS store app, just a regular program with few basics config files) which store his settings in c:\Users\user1\AppData\Roaming\app and i need that the program share his settings between windows users despite of it not offering such...
  10. CMD script to recreate users AppData folder with all symlinks non-admin

CMD script to recreate users AppData folder with all symlinks non-admin: can you provide a simple cmdline script which can recreate AppData folder structure along with all the symlinks must run without Admin Priviledges...