Windows 10: Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install

Discus and support Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. I have a friend who is having trouble making his Toshiba Satellite L50-A (PSKLWA-004001), Touchpad work. He said it hasn't been working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ellellell1, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install

Hi all.

I have a friend who is having trouble making his Toshiba Satellite L50-A (PSKLWA-004001), Touchpad work. He said it hasn't been working several months so he has been using a USB mouse instead.

I first tried installing the driver from 'mytoshiba' and no drivers were available for windows 10 (64bit) so I tired the windows 8.1 driver and that didn't seem to work.

Then I saw that Synaptics had a windows 10 driver (same at pinned thread) especially for the touch pad so I installed the PS/2, SMBus one which I believe is the one built-into the laptop and it installed, restarted and no luck there either.

I did the latest windows updates and then it also detected an update for the touchpad driver, so it then installed via windows update and still no luck.

I know that this is not a simple case of Fn+f5 because the function key settings show that the touchpad is enabled and strangely the device manager does not have any device listed under mouse/pointing devices other than the USB mouse.

I believe this is a case, of the right driver has been found but is not installing, but I could be wrong *Confused.

:)

ellellell1, Nov 25, 2016
  2. Mike_J_D Win User

Windows10 precision touchpad corner taps

Hi, I recently got Asus Zenbook ux430 which has precision touchpad. While w10 supports few touchpad actions they're mainly gestures. I am looking for something elan/synaptics had in their drivers that allowed user to tap corners of touchpad to fire some
    actions.

I tried to install synaptics drivers but failed. I am not able to determine if my touchpad is elan or synaptics.

Mike_J_D, Nov 25, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install

Strange that hasn't worked. An outside chance is to try using
    DriverMax (2 downloads /day free).
    I would never advise the use of such tools except in exceptional circumstances. I can say it has found two quite different drivers for me over the last couple of years I couldn't seem to find.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  5. Yes, I always would go to the manufacture's support website for drivers first...

I did try driver max, and it did detect it was out of date (similar to windows update) took a while to install, but it eventually did. Restarted and no luck. Checked driver max again and it said it was up-to-date.

However I did actually manage to find the driver listed in Device Manger by going to view, Hidden Devices.

So I checked it a time before I took the picture below and it said placed in PS/2 port SMbus with Intel LPC Controller, series 8. Driver Max said that this controller was also out-of-date so I updated that also and restarted
    but same problem remains.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install [​IMG]

I have done many numerous installs of again 8.1 drivers, Synaptics driver download page, windows update and even directing device manager to install the driver manually by using its .inf extension file.

I am now thinking the only option is a possible clean install which I am very confident in doing, backing up and restoring etc...

ellellell1, Nov 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you could try uninstalling any remnant of the synaptics drivers.

Try Revo uninstaller.

If there's nothing listed, then you can use the forced uninstall option and browse to an exe file here:
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP
    and uninstall and clean up following the prompts.

Then restart and check no reference to it and reinstall.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  7. Helmut Win User
    I am using a Toshiba Satellite L50t-A.
    The Synaptics Touchpad works OK and the driver was installed by Windows 10 (on 04.09.16) and works(ver 19.0.16.3)
    Subsequently there looks to be an update to that on 08.10.16 clearly it's a Toshiba customisation component.
    That would also have come from Windows 10 updates.

Diagnostics settings are set to "Enhanced"

There is no driver from Toshiba, however you probably know of the Toshiba System drivers list for Windows 10.
    I think these are the relevant ones:
    Toshiba - System Settings, System Driver, Function Key.
    Downloadable from the Toshiba Website.

In the Start-up Tab of the Task Manager there is one for the Synaptics TouchPad and several Toshiba ones.

In my old Windows 8.1 Driver list there is a version 17.0.8.21 dated 2014 from Toshiba, not ever used.
    I would steer clear of any Driver Updater or Revo.

Helmut, Nov 26, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

I have made my cautionary comment about driver updaters... but I don't understand your concern about Revo Uninstaller. This can be very useful in difficult circumstances, and I'd ask your justification- perhaps you had a bad experience using it?

Every deletion has to be confirmed by the user.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  9. Helmut Win User
    This is not relevant for the OPs friends machine. Revo can dig too deep and can result in subsequent problems installing drivers. Justification is from experience, far too long winded for here.

Helmut, Nov 26, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Could I encourage you to suggest a way forward?

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  11. Hi again, sorry for late reply.

I appreciate Helmut's input but I have given it a go anyway, since left over files might be the problem.
    It appeared normally on the list so I uninstalled then checked for left over files (none).
    I reinstalled again and still no luck unfortunately. Would Helmut indeed have a way forward on this?

I also tried installing the drivers with the model L50 (without the A) and still no luck there either *Sad.
    I'm hoping its not something to do with the Hardware...

ellellell1, Dec 3, 2016
  12. Helmut Win User
    At the end of the day I don't know what has been done previously. It could just be something spilt on the touchpad and now it does not work.
    I can only suggest re-installing Windows 10 along with the Toshiba drivers I have previously suggested. The UEFI(BIOS) on mine is 1.80.
    Just for information, you should be seeing something like this, original Win 10 install 13 June, re-installed 4 Sept for other reasons:
    Attachment 112498Attachment 112499Attachment 112500Attachment 112501

Helmut, Dec 4, 2016
  13. brummyfan Win User

If the laptop has Precision touchpad (HID Compliant mouse) and Synaptics touchpad installed, you can only use one of them, try disabling Precision touchpad or Synaptics TP, have a look here:How to Adjust Toshiba Laptop Touchpad Settings | Chron.com

brummyfan, Dec 4, 2016
  14. Helmut Win User
    That's not the case. You can use both a HID-compliant mouse and the Synaptics Touchpad at the same time, if you wish, as you can see I have both on mine.
    The Touchpad on/off is F5, or double tap top left on the Touchpad.

Helmut, Dec 5, 2016
  15. Hi there. I have all things pointed out in red, however the Function Key application does work, but everytime I press F5 it keeps saying Touchpad disabled, even though the status says its enabled.

I tried W8.1 version on the app and several others but it doesn't seem to be connecting to the touchpad correctly.
    Still no white light on actual touchpad either.

It may be possible that it is the actual hardware since it doesn't come up as I device and I have to actually click on show hidden devices to find it. I have done a full clean install and no difference is seen there either.

In fact just a week ago I decided to replace my own laptop internal keyboard since half the keys stopped working (6 years old), however my friends is only about 3 years old, but still I guess it is quite an age for a laptop.

ellellell1, Dec 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Synaptics TouchPad Driver - Failed to Install - Similar Threads - Synaptics TouchPad Driver

2. Installation of Synaptic touchpad driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation of Synaptic touchpad driver: I followed someone's instruction at this platform to "clear" RAM, which surprisingly worked. But I found out that Synaptic Touchpad driver got deleted from my system.I wanted to download and install Synaptic touchpad driver for my system, but I was unable to do that from HP...
  3. Installation of Synaptic touchpad driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation of Synaptic touchpad driver: I followed someone's instruction at this platform to "clear" RAM, which surprisingly worked. But I found out that Synaptic Touchpad driver got deleted from my system.I wanted to download and install Synaptic touchpad driver for my system, but I was unable to do that from HP...
  4. Installation of Synaptic touchpad driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Synaptics touchpad driver missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Synaptics touchpad driver missing: I installed Windows 11 on my HP Notebook and since then I have been missing Synaptics touchpad driver from my pc. I checked hp support site but there is no official driver compatible. I even tried installing the versions compatible with Windows 10 but none worked. Could...
  6. Synaptics touchpad driver missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Synaptics touchpad driver missing: I installed Windows 11 on my HP Notebook and since then I have been missing Synaptics touchpad driver from my pc. I checked hp support site but there is no official driver compatible. I even tried installing the versions compatible with Windows 10 but none worked. Could...
  7. Synaptics Touchpad Drivers

Synaptics Touchpad Drivers: First I had a Synaptics touchpad driver version 10.0something like that, scrolling with one fingervertical was working. But when I updated drivers to 19.0.12.98, both scrolling functionstwo-finger and one finger did not work. I have checked Synaptics' website and they don't...
  8. Synaptics touchpad driver

Synaptics touchpad driver: Why can't I disable my touchpad? Every answer I get on Bing or Google is wrong. The "disable" button for the Synaptics touchpad driver is itself disabled. I have tried uninstalling the driver but it is still there after restart. I suppose I can walk around with duct tape on...
  9. Synaptics Touchpad Drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Synaptics Touchpad Drivers: Hey guys. I've really been annoyed lately by the 'feature' my laptop (HP) has where it delays the use of the touchpad after typing. I found solutions on reddit from years ago, but they involve installing new drivers, which I can't find? Nowhere on the synaptics website can I...
  10. synaptics touchpad 19.5.10.125 driver from microsoft fail

synaptics touchpad 19.5.10.125 driver from microsoft fail: I have a problem with windows that downloads the driver does not match. ie synaptics touchpad 19.5.10.125 .. is there a solution to this problem. I've tried turning off automatic driver updates but to no avail 107783

Users found this page by searching for:

1. synaptics mouse failed to install

2. windows update failed intel and synaptic

3. synaptics syntp mouse install failed

4. synaptics sm bus touchpad driver failed to install windows can not find the file specified,
  5. synaptics touchpad driver update for pc always fails,
  6. windows update synaptics mouse failed to install