Windows 10: Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system...

Discus and support Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I discovered this annoying little problem after updating my old Compaq laptop to Windows 10. Whenever I enabled or disabled the touchpad, I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by awgie dawgie, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system...

I discovered this annoying little problem after updating my old Compaq laptop to Windows 10.

Whenever I enabled or disabled the touchpad, I would hear the "Connect Device" or "Disconnect Device" system sound, even though I have my system sounds set to "No Sounds". And since I have my touchpad set to automatically disable if a USB mouse is present, and I always have a wireless USB mouse connected, it would make the "Disconnect" sound every time I turn on my laptop. I searched through the system sounds settings, as well as the touchpad settings, but could find nothing that referenced notifications or sounds for the touchpad. It was downright frustrating.

After searching through the questions and answers here, I discovered that several people had asked about the same problem, with several different brands of laptops. One common theme among all the complaints was that they were all Synaptics touchpads.

The other common theme was that all of the answers were completely useless. The answers were either "turn off your system sounds" which all of the OPs had already tried or "update your driver". You just gotta love those stock answers, don't you? And if neither of those worked, no one offered any further suggestions. Oh, wait... one person suggested going into the sound mixer and muting system sounds, but that doesn't actually solve the problem. It merely masks it. And I suppose that if all you care about is not hearing it any more, that might be enough for you. But I don't like covering up a problem without fixing it. That's like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.

So, since no one offered a viable solution, I decided to find one on my own, and I'll share what I found when rummaging around in the Registry. And I'll even throw in the standard disclaimer:Never rummage around in the Registry unless you know what you're doing. Making changes to the Registry without knowing what you're doing can turn your computer into a very expensive paperweight, or perhaps a doorstop. And always backup your Registry before making any changes, especially if those changes involve deleting anything. If you understand the risks, or if you simply don't care, then read on.

I literally had to change one single digit. If you want to do it yourself, open up the Registry Editor. If you don't already know how to open up the Registry Editor, you may want to go back and re-read that disclaimer above, because you're about to go where no man has gone before well, where you haven't gone before. If you're okay with navigating uncharted territory, press the Windows+R Run keyboard shortcut, type in "regedit" without the quotes, of course, and press Enter. If the UAC confirmation pops up, just hit Yes, and continue. However, if it asks for an admin password, and you don't know it, then I'm afraid you can go no further. If you know who the admin is, you can have them take over from here. If youdon't know who the admin is, you have bigger problems than an annoying sound effect.

Once you have the Registry Editor up and running, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\OSD\TouchPad and find the valueOSDTPOnOffAudioNotificationEnabled and change it from a "1" to a "0"zero. That's it... one digit.Voilà! No more annoying sounds when the touchpad is turned on or off. You don't even have to restart your computer. The change takes effect immediately.

And if you want to get rid of the little notification that pops up in the middle of the screen: Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system... 431cd019-34eb-4d75-8760-654bcc75421e?upload=true.png just go to the next setting below that one, and change it to a zero as well. That one doesn't bother me, so I left it alone.

Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system... 197395ea-51a5-4b3c-80b8-235da8b1678f?upload=true.png

:)

awgie dawgie, Dec 28, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Disabling Synaptic touchpad in Windows 10, and why it won't stay disabled. For a left handed person, it is disruptive.

Hi,

If you wish to disable your touchpad, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows Key +X.
    • Select Device manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on Synaptic touchpad driver and select Disable.
    • Click OK to confirm and check with the issue.

Please reply us with the status to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Savagerun Win User
    Disable Touchpad Notifications

Control Panel > System > Notifications & Actions > Show notifications from these apps > Synaptic TouchPad > set it to OFF

Thanks, been driving me bonkers and the Control Panel > System > Notifications & Actions > Show notifications from these apps > Synaptic TouchPad > set it to OFF did the trick. Should have figured that out..

Savagerun, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system...

Disable Touchpad Notifications

Control Panel > System > Notifications & Actions > Show notifications from these apps > Synaptic TouchPad > set it to OFF

Adrian.Alexan, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system...

1. Synaptics touchpad playing notification sound when enabled/disabled even though all system... - Similar Threads - Synaptics touchpad playing

2. News and interests shows notifications even though notifications are disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    News and interests shows notifications even though notifications are disabled: I find the red notification icon in the "news and interests" bar in the taskbar to be annoying. Hovering over "news and interests" shows that there is indeed a notification. However, I have disabled notifications under settings/notifications in the "news and interests"...
  3. News and interests shows notifications even though notifications are disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    News and interests shows notifications even though notifications are disabled: I find the red notification icon in the "news and interests" bar in the taskbar to be annoying. Hovering over "news and interests" shows that there is indeed a notification. However, I have disabled notifications under settings/notifications in the "news and interests"...
  4. How to DISABLE VERY ANNOYING Synaptics TouchPad is disabled notification popups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to DISABLE VERY ANNOYING Synaptics TouchPad is disabled notification popups?: I have an HP Envy and I disabled the Synaptics TouchPad because I'm tired of brushing it with my hand and constantly moving the mouse around the screen or making screen selections I do not want to make. I hate touchpads so I always disable them and use a mouse instead. So, I...
  5. How to DISABLE VERY ANNOYING Synaptics TouchPad is disabled notification popups?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to DISABLE VERY ANNOYING Synaptics TouchPad is disabled notification popups?: I have an HP Envy and I disabled the Synaptics TouchPad because I'm tired of brushing it with my hand and constantly moving the mouse around the screen or making screen selections I do not want to make. I hate touchpads so I always disable them and use a mouse instead. So, I...
  6. How to DISABLE VERY ANNOYING Synaptics TouchPad is disabled notification popups?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Synaptics SMBus Touchpad - can't disable even when uninstalling

Synaptics SMBus Touchpad - can't disable even when uninstalling: I'm ready to physically tear out the touchpad! I've tried looking all over the web to find out why I can't disable the touchpad on my HP Laptop anymore when the USB Mouse is plugged in. I've tried going to settings no option appears, device manager to update and rolling back...
  8. Cannot Disable Synaptics touchpad

Cannot Disable Synaptics touchpad: First, I have reviewed all the relevant threads and followed all suggestions. HP laptop running Windows 10 Pro Ver 1909. There is no "Clickpad" or "Touchpad" button under my mouse settings. There is no checkbox to "Leave touchpad on when external mouse connected." I have even...
  9. Disable Synaptics Touchpad

Disable Synaptics Touchpad: I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. I use a mouse and hate the touchpad, but I cannot figure out how to disable it. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-synaptics-touchpad/d0e33c97-4c3e-4799-befa-f0a907cfc930
  10. synaptics touchpad not working / i cannot scroll using the touchpad, even though it says...

synaptics touchpad not working / i cannot scroll using the touchpad, even though it says...: I had my computer wiped and windows 10 reinstalled. Everything works fine except for the touchpad -- I can click and move the pointer just fine but I cannot scroll even though in my mouse configuration it says it is enabled and it even "detects" my attempts to use the...