Windows 10: Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade

Discus and support Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just done an in-place upgrade of Win7 to Win10 (v21H1) on my Samsung RF511 laptop, and I'm discovering various problems as I now try to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by br1anstorm, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade

I have just done an in-place upgrade of Win7 to Win10 (v21H1) on my Samsung RF511 laptop, and I'm discovering various problems as I now try to use the computer. One issue (being explored in another sub-forum) is the snail-like boot-up time. Another seems to me slightly weird. The laptop has a Synaptics touchpad. The click and tap functions work fine. But there is a problem with scrolling. The two-finger scrolling works fine when I have a website page open in Firefox, and the page moves smoothly up and down the screen. Scrolling works more or less OK in, for example, a Word document. But scrolling simply does not work at all on the Win10 start menu (I cannot, for example, scroll up or down the displayed list of apps and programs). Nor, when I open Settings, can I scroll up or down any of the pages within any part of any Settings screen. When I try to do so, a little rectangular icon with an up/down arrow appears at or under the pointer. But the page does not move or scroll. The only way I can get it to move is to click on the 'slider' on the right-hand side of the page, or use the PgUp and PgDown keys. Neither is convenient or habitual for me. Needless to say, the touchpad and scrolling worked fine in Win7 on this machine before the upgrade, and it works fine in the Linux Mint system which is dual-booted on this same computer. So the issue seems related to Win10 and the upgrade. I have checked the Synaptics touchpad device properties, and scrolling is definitely enabled, with medium sensitivity (I have tried high and low too). The driver is v.15.2.20 and dates from 31 Mar 11, but Win10 says the driver is up to date and there is no optional driver update offered in Windows Updates. I cannot see from the Samsung support website whether there is any other or more recent driver which I should install (Samsung support has no automatic process to analyse or recommend drivers). So I'm a bit stuck. I don't want to mess around with drivers and lose the touchpad operations which I have. And it puzzles me that the scrolling works fine in Firefox or Word (which indicates driver and touchpad are OK) , but not with the Win10 menu or Settings pages.... Any thoughts would be welcome!

:)

br1anstorm, Jun 3, 2021

2. Synaptics Touchpad Reverse Scroll

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will certainly look into this for you and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of the laptop?
    • What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check Synaptic settings under Mouse Properties.

1. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Windows Settings.
    2. Click on Devices and select
      Mouse & touchpad
      from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down and click on Additional mouse options.
    4. Click on Device Settings with the synaptic logo.
    5. Select the Synaptic driver from the list and click on
      Settings button.
    6. On the left side in the new windows, check the box beside
      Two-Finger scrolling.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 3, 2021
  3. SilviaJDM Win User
    Touchpad scroll not working, No virtual scrolling option in synaptics!

My laptop touchpad scrolling stopped working this morning after I updated my gpu driver. I went to the packard bell website and looked at the touchpad drivers for my laptop. There is a synaptics one and a elan one.

Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade [​IMG]

I have them both installed on my laptop but it still isn't working and there is still no virtual scrolling option in synaptics. These are the options that I have in the synaptics settings:

This is what it should look like:

What do I have to do to get the scroll trackpad feature to work again? P.S, when in device manager, even though there is an ELAN tab in mouse properties, Only the synaptics driver shows up under the mice section in device manager. Does this mean that the synaptics driver is replacing the ELAN and I need them both for the scroll to work.
    Thanks

SilviaJDM, Jun 3, 2021
  4. zamar21 Win User

Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade

Synaptics Touchpad Will Not Scroll (Windows 10)

Scrolling in my Synaptics Touchpad 6.3 on an old HP laptop stopped working after upgrade to Win 10 64-bit. I updated to the latest driver v19.0.19 available on Synaptics website. The Touchpad Settings GUI changed, but scrolling wasn't fixed. Then I decided to remove Synaptics driver altogether:

1. Open System-Advanced System Settings-Hardware-Device Installation Settings, select No updates - Save Changes
    2. Open Device Manager-Mice and other pointing devices-Synaptics Touchpad, then Uninstall Driver-Delete Driver, then Reboot
    3. After reboot, default PS/2 Compatible Mouse driver is auto installed for the Touchpad by Windows. Then it's autoupdated by Windows Update back to Synaptics Touchpad driver
    4. Reboot again to finish autoupdate, open Device Manager-Mice and other pointing devices-Synaptics Touchpad, then Update driver-Browse my computer for driver software-Let me pick, select again PS/2 Compatible Mouse and reinstall this driver.
    5. Reboot again. Now Windows will not revert back to Synaptics driver, since you manually chosen to downgrade the driver to "previous version". Check scrolling and other features - they all work perfect with PS/2 Compatible Mouse driver in every application, and in various system windows. Bingo!

Just remember, some advanced Touchpad features won't be accessible with this driver, but scrolling is a lot more important, and it works. Of course, there may be other options available for your laptop & touchpad hardware, like reverting to an older Vista or Win 7 / 8 Synaptics driver the same way as I did. Or simply enabling Touchpad Scrolling with some Function button on your laptop keyboard. Or editing certain Registry keys that control the latest Synaptics driver. Its a common problem, and various solutions that worked for certain models are posted on the web.

zamar21, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade

1. Synaptics touchpad - scrolling issues after Win7 to Win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Synaptics touchpad scrolling

2. synaptics touchpad not working / i cannot scroll using the touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    synaptics touchpad not working / i cannot scroll using the touchpad: I had my computer wiped and windows 10 reinstalled. Everything works fine except for the touchpad -- I can click and move the pointer just fine but I cannot scroll even though in my mouse configuration it says it is enabled and it even "detects" my attempts to use the...
  3. Synaptics SMBus driver causing issue with upgrading Win7 to Win10 Toshiba Satellite C655

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Synaptics SMBus driver causing issue with upgrading Win7 to Win10 Toshiba Satellite C655: I am trying to upgrade a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5507 from Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 to Windows 10, using "MediaCreationTool1909." The laptop meets the system requirements, and I've run Windows Update several times. I have tried the upgrade several times. Using...
  4. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  5. Synaptics touchpad not working after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Synaptics touchpad not working after Windows 10 upgrade: HI there, I have an HP Envy laptop, running Windows 10. My touchpad has completely stopped working, even after restart. The Touchpad (Synaptics SMBus ClickPad) doesn't show up in Device Manager, until I hit View / Show Hidden devices. When I try to update drivers, it tells...
  6. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  7. Synaptics Touchpad Reverse Scroll

Synaptics Touchpad Reverse Scroll: Hi, After the recent update my Synaptics Touchpad on my HP Laptop has reverted back to factory setting scroll. I changed the settings to enable the two finger scroll to reverse and now I cannot change the settings to my choice. There is nowhere in settings to enable me to do...
  8. Touchpad scroll not working, No virtual scrolling option in synaptics!

Touchpad scroll not working, No virtual scrolling option in synaptics!: My laptop touchpad scrolling stopped working this morning after I updated my gpu driver. I went to the packard bell website and looked at the touchpad drivers for my laptop. There is a synaptics one and a elan one. [img] I have them both installed on my laptop but it...
  9. Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart

Synaptics touchpad reverse scroll reverts on restart: Does this happen for anyone else? I don't like the two finger reverse scroll that windows 8 and windows 10 uses on default. I prefer that when I swipe two fingers down the page goes down, not up. I go to the synaptic settings uncheck reverse scrolling and it works as I...
  10. Synaptics Touchpad Will Not Scroll (Windows 10)

Synaptics Touchpad Will Not Scroll (Windows 10): Hi! New to the forum...I just upgraded my windows 7 original install on my Toshiba Laptop (3 years old) to the Windows 10 Home Preview Build (10130 was installed). Everything appears to be working EXCEPT my touchpad will not scroll. It is a Synaptics V7.5 on PS-2 port. I...