Windows 10: sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file

Discus and support sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Edward Wong1, Feb 9, 2023.

1. sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file

sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file

:)

Edward Wong1, Feb 9, 2023

2. Missing Backup Status Overlays...

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the Overlays of OneDrive are not working the way they are supposed to.

I would suggest you to refer the article
    Sync icon overlays are missing from OneDrive and OneDrive for Business

However, if you are still unable to fix the overlays, our dedicated in-app support team supports OneDrive issues. Hence, I would suggest you to contact them for assistance if the issue persists. You can follow the steps below to contact the OneDrive
    support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 9, 2023
  3. Diven73 Win User
    Icon Overlays less than 15

Hi fantasiom,

I read from an article on ghacks (link below) that there are two places in the registry that the overlays are being "loaded" from.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcon‌OverlayIdentifiers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explor‌er\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/24/fix-sync-icons-not-showing-explorer/

The second location is for 32-bit applications running on 64-bit windows. OneDrive is storing the same 6 ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers in both locations. I suspect this is because the OneDrive client is 32-bit, and windows explorer is 64-bit. It appears that
    the six overlays in the Wow6432Node are loaded first leaving 9 in the other location.

OneDrive will ask to "install icons" if it not all it's icons are not in the top 15. Installing icons means adding spaces in front of the name in the registry so it appears first alphabetically.

I would suggest adding spaces in front of the "BoxSyncNotSynced", "BoxSyncProblem", and "BoxSyncSynced" registry keys so they appear ahead of or next after the six OneDrive overlay icons. I don't use file locking so I don't feel the other two BoxSync icons
    are useful.

Essentially the problem is that the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers is limited to 15 and One Drive is setup to use 12 of them currently. OneDrive has introduced a new status column instead of overlay icons, but it seems for now this is limited to files-on-demand
    functionality.

Diven73, Feb 9, 2023
  4. AGomes# Win User

Onedrive Sync Overlays missing

Thanks Kahtleen!

Is this reset for OneDrive icon to appear on the task bar, or for the missing status overlays in the files?

AGomes#, Feb 9, 2023
Thema:

1. sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file - Similar Threads - sync icon showing

2. sync status in file explorer address bar - Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sync status in file explorer address bar - Win11: suddenly the OneDrive sync status is appearing in file explorer address bar? VERY ANNOYING as the actual file location isn't showingEdition Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎2/‎1/‎2023 OS build 22621.3007 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0...
  3. sync status in file explorer address bar - Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sync status in file explorer address bar - Win11: suddenly the OneDrive sync status is appearing in file explorer address bar? VERY ANNOYING as the actual file location isn't showingEdition Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎2/‎1/‎2023 OS build 22621.3007 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0...
  4. sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file: sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-icon-showing-on-status-bar-but-not-overlay-on/cfd194b4-6062-48cd-abe3-b75e1adee4fb
  5. sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file: sync icon showing on status bar but not overlay on that file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-icon-showing-on-status-bar-but-not-overlay-on/cfd194b4-6062-48cd-abe3-b75e1adee4fb
  6. How to make all status bar icons for running applications show up in the status bar in all...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make all status bar icons for running applications show up in the status bar in all...: I'm pretty certain that title isn't clear.On a new laptop, using multiple desktops in Windows 10, when an application window is present in one desktop, the icon associated with that application shows up in the status bar. If I move to another desktop, which does not contain a...
  7. Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?: I have inadvertently activated this green "Status online" icon in the Windows 10 20H2 file explorer status bar. This icon appears only for one Synology NAS directory. [img] I don't need any online indicator or functionality. Where can I disable/stop this function? 173555
  8. Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable the green Status online icon in the file explorer status bar?: I have inadvertently activated this green "Status online" icon in the Windows 10 20H2 file explorer status bar. This icon appears only for one Synology NAS directory. [img] I don't need any online indicator or functionality. Where can I disable/stop this function? 173555
  9. OneDrive sync status icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive sync status icons: Why OneDrive doesn't have an option to disable sync status icons like Google backup app has? I don't want this silly status icons on my files and there's nothing in options to disable them....
  10. sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc: Hi I have the latest october build on my PC brand new install. In one drive I have told it not to sync desktop/documents However my documents/desktop/picture folder all have a little sync icon on, and every file within them does as well. I have checked under 'show...