Windows 10: Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage

Discus and support Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; setting up new Windows PC, default installation of OneDrive connecting to existing Microsoft & OneDrive accounts. After intial synchronisation, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrianWells141, May 13, 2020.

1. Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage

setting up new Windows PC, default installation of OneDrive connecting to existing Microsoft & OneDrive accounts. After intial synchronisation, the parent and all sub directories of OneDrive data put in Documents folder in local OneDrive folder. In addition, a documents folder was created in my User directory on local disk that contains a mirror copy synchronised with OneDrive Documents folder on my local disk.

The OneDrive cloud directory structure does NOT reflect the Documents directory.

synchronisation with cloud and other devices works perfectly well; i just have this arbitrary nets directories pn local disk.

is there a configuration setting or similar that i am missing?

:)

BrianWells141, May 13, 2020

2. Confused about how OneDrive works

I am using windows10 on several PCs all with the same microsoft account.

My understanding is I have a OneDrive cloud storage, and on every PC I can see a local OneDrive, which will be synchronized to the cloud, is that right?

Now I have some questions.

1. Those local OneDrive are supposed to use my local harddisk storage.
      So if I put a lot of files in the Cloud, I will have a local copy in
      all my PCs which occupied my local hard disk?
    2. If I modified something on my local OneDrive, say I delete a file,
      the file in the Cloud will later be deleted as well when they
      synchronise ?
    3. If I do different modifications on different PCs locally, which one
      will be synchronised to the Cloud?
    4. I tried to use browser to login my OneDrive, in this way I am
      supposed to be see the Cloud files, not the files on my local
      OneDrive, right? But I see different directories different files
      when visit it using different PCs.

I am really completely confused by how OneDrive work. Anyone can help? Thanks in advance!

velut luna, May 13, 2020
  3. eliuri Win User
    Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive

Hello:

I've recently synched all my documents in my Documents directory with OneDrive.

This changed the pathway of all files/folders there from

C:\Users\Username\Documents

to

C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents

I don't wish to synchronize all my document folders. Just most of them. But when I undid Documents from OneDrive's Settings--> Backup, they all just disappeared from my hard drive --I guess up into the OneDrive cloud. So I ticked Documents back in from within Settings, and they re-appeared....It's fine with me to have most my Documents protected this way..But there are many I'd just like to simply store on my PC--without OneDrive synchronization
    =====================================

Question:

How best to do that?

Offhand, I can think of two ways, but there may be others:

1) One option might be to use the already existing directory at OS (C) C:\Users\Username\Documents

It is non-synching. So far OneDrive hasnt "claimed" it. I have placed a file there a few days ago, sent link to it to my Desktop and it seems to just stay put..So far..

But might this somehow "confuse" the system and create issues later on?

2) Create new Folder at OS (C):

For example:

C:\Storage

and simply store non-syching file/folder documents there. Not sure this is safe and stable way to do this without messing things up

Which of these two options--if any-- is the more stable and wont create issues and pathway confusions down the line

There's only one user for my pc and only one OS Drive C

Thanks

==============
    Windows 10 Version:1809
    OneDrive Version: 2019 Build 19.086.0502.006

eliuri, May 13, 2020
  4. eliuri Win User

Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage

Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive

Thank you. However I had read those tutorials last week when I was trying to get OneDrive to synch with my Documents. The Documents folder is one of 3 folders backed up by default by OneDrive. I had found out what was blocking the synching of Documents, and finally got it to synch as a protected Windows folder. Now my question pertains to un-synching a few specific folders in my Documents, while keeping most of them protected by OneDrive backup.

The goal is to have those available only locally and not online. Unticking a given folder in Documents via Settings merely makes it invisible--and unavailable-- on the local drive. Only way to get it back then is to re-synch by ticking it back in.

So my initial question above--and possible modes I put forth there to achieve that --still remains

Thanks

eliuri, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage

1. Synching OneDrive to new PC created confusing local disk storage - Similar Threads - Synching OneDrive created

2. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  3. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  4. Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”: So confused! I set up my mom with OneDrive so that she could use a laptop in the hospital and be able to access all her documents from her home desktop. I installed Microsoft 365 on both her machines home desktop and laptop. I copied all her documents on her home computer...
  5. Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”

Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”: So confused! I set up my mom with OneDrive so that she could use a laptop in the hospital and be able to access all her documents. I installed Microsoft 365 on both her machines. I copied all her documents on her home computer from the My PC location to the documents folder...
  6. Local Disk Storage is Decreasing

Local Disk Storage is Decreasing: My Local Disk "C" Storage is decreasing EVERYDAY. Yesterday it was 77.7 GB free of 172 GB and today it's 76.4 GB free of 172 GB it's happening everyday.I'm doing Disk Cleanup and maintaining the space. On the first day of Disk Cleanup it showed 6GB to clean and the next day,...
  7. Local Disk Storage is Decreasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Disk Storage is Decreasing: My Local Disk "C" Storage is decreasing EVERYDAY. Yesterday it was 77.7 GB free of 172 GB and today it's 76.4 GB free of 172 GB it's happening everyday.I'm doing Disk Cleanup and maintaining the space. On the first day of Disk Cleanup it showed 6GB to clean and the next day,...
  8. Local Disk Storage is Decreasing

9. Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive: Hello: I've recently synched all my documents in my Documents directory with OneDrive. This changed the pathway of all files/folders there from C:\Users\Username\Documents to C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents I don't wish to synchronize all my document folders. Just...
  10. Local Disk storage probelms

Local Disk storage probelms: Hi, I have a problem. I was trying to access the Xbox app the other day on my PC. I clicked on the program and it loaded up, and it started to sign me in. The problem started when it said "We are unable to sign you in at the moment. Try again later." (Error code :(0x409)...