Windows 10: Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's

Discus and support Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a surface pro 4 which is my primary computer for work and personal stuff. I need to send it back to Microsoft for replacement (for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jane Clark (jane), Aug 12, 2019.

1. Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's

Hi,

I have a surface pro 4 which is my primary computer for work and personal stuff. I need to send it back to Microsoft for replacement (for the screen flicker issue) so I need to go back to using our old laptop while my Surface is in transit. My husband has been using our old laptop and couldn't get his microsoft signin to work so has been using it logged in as me. He has installed various apps and made goodness knows what other changes. I've never had "sync your settings" turned on on either machine. But now that I have to send away my Surface, I have turned on Sync my Settings on the Surface and backed up everything to OneDrive or Dropbox.

I want to be able to sign into my old laptop and have the synced settings from my Surface to overwrite everything on my old laptop. I definitely don't want anything from my old laptop's current settings being synced onto my backup up Surface settings.

Is this possible to do?

A related question also: my old laptop has a PIN set up to sign into my MS account. It works on the old laptop but not on my Surface (where I use Windows Hello most of the time anyway). My MS password works on either device. How is it possible that the PIN works on one but not the other?

Both computers are running Windows 10.

Thanks, help very much appreciated. I have become quite confused and I'm scared to try anything and risk stuffing up all the settings I need.

Moved from: My account, billing and sign-in / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

:)

Jane Clark (jane), Aug 12, 2019
  2. Mystere Win User

Sync - Which computer controls the settings?

Think of "syncing" as a backup of *some* of your settings. Whenever you make a change on any computer, it stores that change in your OneDrive account. The next time any other computer that uses that Account looks at those settings, it pulls them down overwrites whatever settings they have on that computer.

Syncing does not apply to everything, only a small list of features. It doesn't apply to third party apps, however, you should understand that there are no additional licenses involved with installing the same app on multiple devices. The store allows you to install an app on up to 81 devices without a new license. At least this is what it was for Windows 8.1 and I don't see them changing this, unless it's to raise it even higher.

Microsoft Dramatically Raises Limit on Windows 8.x/RT App Installs | Windows 8 content from SuperSite for Windows

Mystere, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Mystere Win User

No. When you set a computer to sync, it syncs whatever was the last settings stored in your onedrive account. So the new computer gets the synced settings, not the other way around. If you make a change, however, after you have synced, then those settings will be sent to every other computer that is already syncing.

Please remove from your mind the idea that sync syncs between computers. It'd doesn't It syncs only with whatever is stored in OneDrive. Any other computers also sync with onedrive, so whatever is last stored there wins.

Mystere, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's

Thank-you, I think I have got it now!

One lingering question: As an example, let us start with five computers, all with similar settings but each with some differences. Should I understand that first one is set to sync. Next a second is set to sync and the first unit's settings that are part of this process is set in accordance with the second computer's settings. Next the third computer is set to sync (sync is turned on), so computers number one and two now are set to the third computer's configuration, and so on when the fourth and fifth computers have each, in turn, sync engaged?

brucemc777, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's

1. Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's - Similar Threads - Syncing computers computer's

2. Two laptops on one MS account - how not to overwrite each other?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two laptops on one MS account - how not to overwrite each other?: I have two laptops. One for school and one for gaming. I use for both the same MS account. Second for gaming was purchased later on. When I configured it, all settings from this machine, incl. desktop, was transferred on the school laptop. I don't want it. I want to keep them...
  3. Two laptops on one MS account - how not to overwrite each other?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two laptops on one MS account - how not to overwrite each other?: I have two laptops. One for school and one for gaming. I use for both the same MS account. Second for gaming was purchased later on. When I configured it, all settings from this machine, incl. desktop, was transferred on the school laptop. I don't want it. I want to keep them...
  4. Why is the Appdata directory visible on one of my computers but not two other computers I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is the Appdata directory visible on one of my computers but not two other computers I...: Hi, my name is Pat Maloney. I recently copied all of the data and applications from an older computer which worked very well but I have two questions. I have three laptops and my two older laptops do not display the Appdata directory in File Explorer but I can get there by...
  5. Two Computers Synced- how to unsync.

Two Computers Synced- how to unsync.: Hi- I'm new to the Windows OS and am still learning the ins and outs. Recently I applied a setting that has my two computers desktops synced ie- all folders from on desktop show up on the other. I would like to turn this function off, but for the life of me can't remember...
  6. One ISO for two computers

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    One ISO for two computers: Can I use one ISO (Win10 home burned to a DVD) on two identical computers? These are both HP desktops with different license keys .... I only want to do this once for "just in case" a clean install is ever needed on either one. I will use the appropriate key for each desktop...
  7. One Drive on two computers

One Drive on two computers: How does One Drive handle two computers on same MS acct? I'm mainly switching to my new computer #2 so would like to transfer files, but want to keep #1 for occasional use. Right now One Drive on computer 2 (the new one) shows the Documents folder from computer 1, with...
  8. Sync two computers - Windows 10

Sync two computers - Windows 10: Not finding basic instructions on how to sync two computers (desktop / laptop) so that both serve as a file back up to the other. They both run off the same modem, both on the same version of windows 10. One computer is new (clean - no files)....
  9. sync my two computers

sync my two computers: Hi. I have 2 computers both running win10. One is win10 home and the other is win10 pro. I am making their setting identical for the most part but I am doing it one at a time. Is there a way I can set my desktop and then sync it with my laptop? Also how can I make them...
  10. All I want to do is share one file on two computers....

All I want to do is share one file on two computers....: Our checkbook is on my wife's computer. I have installed the same software on my computer (on the same network as hers) and tried to make it see her data, but I guess I am senile or something. (40 years ago I was a computer programmer...) Both computers are on W10. How can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Session Cloud Files Diagnostic Event Listener failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022