Windows 10: Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again!

Discus and support Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, i guess i should probably have posted my guide/tut in here? if so, please move my guide/tut :) Thx. Backstory... Okey so my Synology Nas died... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xTL, Oct 24, 2018.

1. XTL
    xTL Win User

Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again!

Hello, i guess i should probably have posted my guide/tut in here?
    if so, please move my guide/tut Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :) Thx.

Backstory...
    Okey so my Synology Nas died around 2017/07.. i did everything i could to get it up & runnin again.
    Nothing worked! So i accepted my dataloss and the loss of my Nas...

Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! [​IMG]

Well 2 days ago, i just had a feeling that i should give it another chance before i wiped my drives and lost around 4Tb data...
    so okey i did, and by some miracle my nas just started working again. Magic? no idea but it's alive again *Wink
    So i logged in via webgui which for me is (10.0.0.7/webman/index.cgi) not that you need to know that but anyhow.

I logged in to check if any of my files were still there and Woah, everything still here =D !!!
    Lucky me ! *Biggrin
    well...
    here is where my problem began >.<

Like so many others that have Windows10 & Synology Nas, i could not reach my nas through smb which i had been able to do via Windows7 64-Bit ever since i first bought my Nas.
    So i spent hours & hours searching how to do this, i tried everything i could find in tenforums, & on synologyforums, and everything i could find on the internet, well eventually i got it working after many MANY hours of trial and error...

So when i finally got smb working in win10 with DSM v4.3 i notice the Horrific speeds you get 10MB/s
    ... WTF?

So apparently win10 & synology can't work well together any more unless you're on the latest DSM from Synology.
    And btw i tried that aswell the 6.x something version of the DSM, it sux, it's laggy & horrible...
    (So i went back to v4.3, tho i kinda regret that now because i should have stayed on v3.x)

v3.x i had instant login via webgui, No lagg / sluggish behavior, smb worked 100%
    v4.3 takes ~7sec to login & laggy gui at first login, > got smb working but speeds = horrible. (10MB)
    v6.x takes 30~60sec to login > very laggy & sluggish gui. > working smb decent speeds. ( 30-45MB/s )

But anyhow i found a way to play any media you have on the nas directly in vlc without getting any error msg!
    This is the end result Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :)

No idea why the ftp is saying it's 60Gb instead of 5Tb+ ^^ but it don't matter because it works !

Okey now how to actually get this working ?

So first let me show you speeds i get with ftp on synology.
    As you can see it differs alot from the crap speed i get in smb.

Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! Ca2uPaz4.gif

Okey Let's start.

First head to your synology's webgui and go to.
    Control Panel > FTP >

Use these settings.

To login to ur Ftp type this in ur browser.
    L: ftp://yourip

So for me it's L: ftp://10.0.0.7
    ( Same user name and pw for ftp as it is for webgui )

Next open up " This PC " type in adressbar

L: ftp://yourip/

Here you should get a box asking to login, use synology username and password.

After you should see this

Now rightclick This Pc and take Map network drive.

Then press Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures.

Press Next.

Press Next.

Use your Synology username here.

Pick a name

Press Finish

Once done, the folder of ur nas will appear.

You now have the ftp mapped to This PC Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :)
    ( simple preview on how it should work after ur done )

The icon you get from the ftp is ugly as hell! To change it download CustomizerGod
    The icons name are ID:#73 & ID:#74

Next up is VLC
    Open up vlc and if you don't have vlc installed download it from here
    VLC > Tools > Preferences > Show Settings > All > @ Topbox there is a searchbox > search for FTP.

Add your Synology username & password.
    Once you're done, just drag and drop a video into vlc to start playing.

Demo of how it works once ur done.
    [youtube]16-57SYuV_Q[/youtube]

In the end of my video i demonstrate how huge of a difference it is with the smb vs the ftp.

So i hope those of you who reads this, finds this helpful,
    if you happen to have issues with ur synology nas.

Like i mentioned early in my thread, i did a lot of research on how to fix this, and if you ask me i shouldn't have had to,
    in my opinion Synology should have fixed the smb issue long time ago.
    If you look at their forums the devs do basically nothing to help out with this,
    instead it's normal users that have to fix everything.
    I'm not sure if it's laziness or if synology devs just don't give a s**t about the issue.

But i figured out a really solid solution, and i felt that i should share it with others that have similar or the same issue as me.
    I hate slow speeds, and now it's a thing of the past =)

Just a FYI i don't really watch movies via vlc i use plex,
    but i do want the option to simply stream / direct play from my nas if i feel like it.

Sorry for the huge thread and lots of images ^^
    This took awhile to make, so i would appreciate, some feedback Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :)

If you managed to read all the way down here.
    Thank you Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :)

Btw where is my 10Tb hdd that i have in my System spec?
    Here Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! :) Chillin on my server, need another soon ^^

~Fin

:)

2. Kreij Win User

Guides and Tutorials

I was just pondering the idea of putting the guides and tutorials for each section under a sub-heading (like ATI and Nvidia are under graphics cards) called, oddly enough, "Guides and Tutorials".

That way they would be in a easily found place and not just stickies at the front of the section.

I also think it may prompt people to write more guides and tutorial, which I think would be very useful to most of the people who come to TPU.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Flames?

Kreij, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 24, 2018
  4. miahallen Win User

miahallen, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again! - Similar Threads - Synology Guide Tutorial

2. Windows 10 gets corrupt again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 gets corrupt again and again: So, my brother bought this laptop LENOVO IDEAPAD 330 with intel core i5 8th gen, windows 10 home, 1 TB Hard disk, 4GB graphics AMD RADEON RM 350.Me and my brother used it for 2 years and suddenly one day I started getting errors and my laptop crashed and then headed me to...
  3. Windows 10 gets corrupt again and again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 gets corrupt again and again: So, my brother bought this laptop LENOVO IDEAPAD 330 with intel core i5 8th gen, windows 10 home, 1 TB Hard disk, 4GB graphics AMD RADEON RM 350.Me and my brother used it for 2 years and suddenly one day I started getting errors and my laptop crashed and then headed me to...
  4. Which tutorial guides me through non-destructive OS upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which tutorial guides me through non-destructive OS upgrade?: I'm forced to 'upgrade' to Windows 10 from a windows 7x64 Ultimate box (I love Windows 7, best OS they ever produced) but tax and accounting software has ceased to run so I'm taking my 'office' computer and want to move it on up the the bloated mess that windows 10 is BUT I...
  5. Which tutorial guides me through non-destructive OS upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which tutorial guides me through non-destructive OS upgrade?: I'm forced to 'upgrade' to Windows 10 from a windows 7x64 Ultimate box (I love Windows 7, best OS they ever produced) but tax and accounting software has ceased to run so I'm taking my 'office' computer and want to move it on up the the bloated mess that windows 10 is BUT I...
  6. windows 10 -tutorial

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 -tutorial: Is there a windows 10 tutorial online? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-tutorial/8d686e80-90f0-47f0-a1ee-2df3037f9de2
  7. Mapped drive to Synology NAS transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped drive to Synology NAS transfer speeds: Does anyone have s Synology NAS? I have one and mapped it to a drive letter and could see all the files on it without problems. However when i try to do a backup to it ot transfer files the transfer speed is single digit kbs. I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any...
  8. Search is not working propperly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search is not working propperly: Hi all, I am currently having the issue where I'd search for a certain part of a file's name (that I know is there) but Search doesn't bring it up. This is the situation: I have a folder full of Photoshop files and a certain part of them have either 'iPhone', 'Phone' or...
  9. Search is not working propperly

in Cortana
    Search is not working propperly: Hi all, I am currently having the issue where I'd search for a certain part of a file's name that I know is there but Search doesn't bring it up. This is the situation: I have a folder full of Photoshop files and a certain part of them have either 'iPhone', 'Phone' or...
  10. Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again!

in Windows 10 Support
    Synology Guide / Tutorial to get Propper Speeds! in Windows 10 again!: Hello, i guess i should probably have posted my guide/tut in here? if so, please move my guide/tut :) Thx. Backstory... Okey so my Synology Nas died around 2017/07.. i did everything i could to get it up & runnin again. Nothing worked! So i accepted my dataloss and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. synology how to check speeds

2. ds211j spec