Windows 10: Syntax for a search URL

Discus and support Syntax for a search URL in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; A long time ago, when I had Avant Browser, there was a system for pasting a URL in a browser's address bar, & putting something at the end that would... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by phrab, Apr 12, 2020.

1. phrab Win User

Syntax for a search URL

A long time ago, when I had Avant Browser, there was a system for pasting a URL in a browser's address bar, & putting something at the end that would go to a specific site & do a search there. It has something to do with %s or \%s, I can't recall.

For example, if you wanted to check the validity of something that was said in an email (like Microsoft will pay you $100 for forwarding this email to 5 friends...not that that would fool anyone), you could go to Snopes.com - The definitive fact-checking site and reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation. & it would already search without you having to type anything.

Does anyone know the syntax for that?

Thanks in advance,

:)

phrab, Apr 12, 2020

2. File Explorer search syntax

There is no complete, official reference that I've ever found. The closest is this:

Advabced Quert Syntax

But even that is incomplete.

Here are key concepts I've learned:

• If serching for names with special characters normally used in search syntax, the text must me enclosed in quotes:
    Code:
    [b]name:"(8).txt"[/b]
    • But if you try the above with wildcards, you'll be disappointed. For wildcards to be used within quoted strings, you have to use a tilde ':~':
    Code:
    [b]name:~"*(*)*" <- any item with parentheses in name.[/b]
    • To search for empty properties, use empty square brackets:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[][/b]

Syntax for a search URL e69bc411-933f-4053-9cef-1d842595619c?upload=true.png

• You can narrow Search Results to a specific folder or sub-folder by including
      FolderName in your search:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[] FolderName:Charlie[/b]

Syntax for a search URL aff41611-eed0-41a7-9807-d24885a63023?upload=true.png

I think I've covered the most common needs. Happy to follow-up if you have more spedific questions.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Syntax for a search URL

Search Query Syntax?

Is there any documentation pertaining to the Windows Photos App search box query syntax? Something like this: Advanced
    Query Syntax
    ?

I tried something like: date:2016 and it yields results for photos taken in 2016. Searching:
    camera:canon causes the photos app to close abruptly (crashes).

[Moved from:
    Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Photos]

José Oliver-Didier, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Syntax for a search URL

1. Syntax for a search URL - Similar Threads - Syntax search URL

2. Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111

in Cortana
    Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111: Blender appends a number to .blend for each backup file. I want to find the "master" *.blend file, while not finding *.blend1 , *.blend11 , *.blend111 etc.Help with the syntax please?...
  3. Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111: Blender appends a number to .blend for each backup file. I want to find the "master" *.blend file, while not finding *.blend1 , *.blend11 , *.blend111 etc.Help with the syntax please?...
  4. Search syntax to find *.blend excluding *.blend111

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  6. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  7. Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??: Does anyone know if there is a syntax for finding all folders containing certain types of files? Like if I wanted to find every folder on my D drive containing photos (and have just the folders listed in the search results.) Or find every folder containing ebooks, whatever....
  8. File Explorer search syntax

File Explorer search syntax: Since local help files have become, for reasons I cannot fathom, anachronistic, I have been looking for current documentation on the use of the built-in file search tools on Windows 10. I'm in need of the full set of syntax and usage. I can't find what I need because,...
  9. Tooltip for "..." URL/search results?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tooltip for "..." URL/search results?: hello. as far as the URL itself goes, it is easy enough to see in the status bar at the bottom in your browser. however... i remember long ago that, if you would hover your cursor over the the actual search result, a tooltip would show letting you read the full title-thingy...
  10. Windows Syntax & Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Syntax & Search: Hi! . I want to search for strings that occur within the contents of text files. . I am definitely missing something with respect to Windows' search syntax or Windows in general...sorry! . To avoid the complexity of my specific issue, I created the following test...