Windows 10: Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install

Discus and support Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop that has seen better days. The screen has finally stopped functioning, and the second hard drive has now failed. I wish to take the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peterweb, Dec 8, 2015.

1. peterweb Win User

Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install

I have a laptop that has seen better days. The screen has finally stopped functioning, and the second hard drive has now failed. I wish to take the new SSD system drive to put into the new laptop I have purchased,

The OS on the SSD is Win 10 which has been upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate, and is currently running the 1511 upgrade.

The problem I have is that I am trying to run the Sysprep feature, but it will not run on an upgraded OS. Has anyone been able to get this to work? I would prefer not to have to clean install everything yet again.

:)

peterweb, Dec 8, 2015

2. Activate Windows 10 with new motherboard

I read all the articles I could find extensively before swapping out my old and failing motherboard for a new (secondhand) one.

Before I did the swap I upgraded my win 7 RETAIL to win 10. I then did a clean install of win 10 to allow sysprep to make the motherboard transition smooth (I tried running sysprep on the upgrade version which it said it couldn't do)

Once sysprep had been run on the clean win 10 installation I swapped the motherboards, re-installed win 10 from my install DVD that burned from the iso. created using the Media Creation Tool.

As expected, Win 10 couldn't activate and so I called the Activation number and spoke to a rep (as every forum seems to suggest) who refused to activate my Win 10 and told me that I had to re-install my old win 7 and upgrade again. Before I go through the
    palaver of having to wipe the HDD yet again, install win 7, upgrade to win 10 and then set up all my apps/sign ins etc again - can someone confirm that I HAVE to do this or should the helpdesk actually have activated my clean win 10 installation as I have
    previously upgraded my win 7 RETAIL?

Many thanks for any help or advice

idonteatenoughpies, Dec 8, 2015
  3. sysprep broken on windows 10 build 10586

I am trying to sysprep After installing windows update 3136561, sysprep fails, with message that says "Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation. Review the log file a %WINDIR% \Ssytem 32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details.

I was able to run sysprep before installing update KB3136561, which changed the OS version to 10.0.10586

This is on windows 10, Enterprise.

The log says "spopk.dll : : Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows."

This was a clean install, until KB3136561 did the upgrade to version 10.0.10586

Help

MarkTronrud, Dec 8, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

lx07, Dec 8, 2015
  5. peterweb Win User
    I missed one registry entry. But even with that, I still get errors.
    I'm thinking it might just be easier to reimage to the Win 7 OS, then try the sysprep, then move the HD.

peterweb, Dec 8, 2015
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Create a new user account locally, disconnect from internet, login as that user, and try sysprep.

pparks1, Dec 8, 2015
  7. peterweb Win User
    I'll try that now. The account is being created as I type.

No change, same error.

If it helps, here is some of the sysprep log.

2015-12-08 20:54:14, Info SYSPRP SysprepSession::CreateXPathForSelection: Processor architecture in registry is AMD64
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Info [0x0f0080] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Found 'SysprepGeneralizeValidate' in C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; executing it
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Info SYSPRP Entering SysprepGeneralizeValidate (Appx) - validating whether all apps are also provisioned.

2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error SYSPRP Package 37806WilhelmsenStudios.NowyouareinOrbit_1.0.0.1_x86__akeytc0kfv8xy was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.

2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error SYSPRP Exit code of RemoveAllApps thread was 0x3cf2.

2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'SysprepGeneralizeValidate' from C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Error in validating actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Generalize.xml; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while validating SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2015-12-08 20:54:14, Error [0x0f00d8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while pre-validate sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x80073cf2
    2015-12-08 20:54:44, Info [0x0f0052] SYSPRP Shutting down SysPrep log

peterweb, Dec 8, 2015
  8. peterweb Win User

I finally got sysprep to run. Had to check the logs after each failure to see what program was holding up the run. Switch to the other user profile and uninstall whatever program was holding up the sysprep. Go back to the admin account and run sysprep again. Repeated this until the sysprep finally completed.

Now to see what happens when I move the drive to my new computer.

peterweb, Dec 13, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will have a non-activated Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2015
  10. peterweb Win User
    UPDATE
    Well I did get the sysprep to run and installed the drive into my new laptop. I got it up and running with all programs intact and running. As NavyLCDR noted, the copy of Win 10 was not activated. I was using it within the 30 days trial period while fine tuning my system and accounts. I contacted MS Support via chat and got the Windows activation key transferred to the new computer. Then things started getting messed up. Start button and Search and other Explorer functions stopped functioning for my main account. Then the Admin account would not load correctly.
    So in the end, I ended up doing a clean install and starting over again.

Thanks for all the help.

peterweb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install - Similar Threads - Sysprep upgraded install

2. Win upgrade / install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win upgrade / install: I unplugged my pc while updating and all start up troubleshoot doesn't get the older win 10 version to start anymore. So, I wanna know if there's a way to upgrade it or fix it same hardware on a running windows different hdd.If not possible, can I copy or move my files and...
  3. Win upgrade / install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win upgrade / install: I unplugged my pc while updating and all start up troubleshoot doesn't the win 10 older version to start anymore. So, I wanna know if there's a way I can upgrade it or fix it same hardware on a running windows different hdd.If not possible, can I copy or move my files and...
  4. Win upgrade / install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win upgrade / install: I unplugged my pc while updating and all start up troubleshoot doesn't the win 10 older version to start anymore. So, I wanna know if there's a way I can upgrade it or fix it same hardware on a running windows different hdd.If not possible, can I copy or move my files and...
  5. Win 11 Sysprep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Sysprep: I am working on creating a deployable win11 image for clonezilla. I have Syspreped/ generalized the image, and am currently testing it on a new computer. I keep having to login with a live/outlook account on first startup. Instead of just being promoted to login with the...
  6. Win 11 Sysprep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Sysprep: I am working on creating a deployable win11 image for clonezilla. I have Syspreped/ generalized the image, and am currently testing it on a new computer. I keep having to login with a live/outlook account on first startup. Instead of just being promoted to login with the...
  7. sysprep upgraded windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sysprep upgraded windows 10 2004: it is possible to sysprep and capture a windows 10 2004 previusly upgraded from 1903? submitted by /u/acid8k [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jl3od6/sysprep_upgraded_windows_10_2004/
  8. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  9. Sysprep unable to validate installation. (yet another sysprep case)

Sysprep unable to validate installation. (yet another sysprep case): Hey everyone, I hope you're doing fine. Well, I'll keep this short and to the point. I want to run sysprep on my Windows 10 Pro (x64) PC and I've faced many errors till now which I somehow managed to dodge , Now I've come across another problem. i have no clue about...
  10. Sysprep error during win 10 upgrade

Sysprep error during win 10 upgrade: Hi there. Using the media creation tool (both usb and ISO) I get an error. Something like "installation has encountered an error during first_boot with sysprep." In not at my toshiba laptop at the moment so the wording may be a little off. Upgrading from my 8.1 current os....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sysprep was not able to validate your windows ins