Windows 10: Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why?

Discus and support Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the title states I Syspreped a computer, the image is staying activated when I deploy it to a different machine, the desktops I'm using have Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MindOverMatt, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why?

As the title states I Syspreped a computer, the image is staying activated when I deploy it to a different machine, the desktops I'm using have Windows Key tags on them(their not burned in to the MB) and those are the keys I want to use to activate each windows install. But it wont ask for a key. All I want is to be able to image other computers with this image.

--------------------
    From Audit Mode from 100% clean install media located on USB.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro. 1909, very latest version as I made sure all updates are done before syspreping.
    and the only customizing I have done is install Adobe Reader, Chrome, Java, TeamViwer, MMS(WindTerm).

Then I set Reader and Chrome as default but after deploying the image to a new machine the defaults don't seem to stay and windows claims there was an "error"*really so it reverts to its recommended defaults which I don't want.

I also center the company logo as the desktop background image and then set background color as the logo dose not fill the screen. Then I set the Icons where I want. These setting stay after Syprep like I want.

From this forums Sysprep tutorial I use this command to start the sysprep process:
    "sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:E:\customize.xml"

After Sysprep I use Clonezilla to image the drive and deploy it to a new computer which works but. It will not ask for a windows key, Which I need it to do, but it will ask for language and keyboard layout etc.
    --------------------

Here is what my unattend.xml looks like:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpiSyspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why? :eek:fflineImage cpi:source="wim:e:/install.wim#Windows 10 Pro" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

What am I doing wrong, the last time I used Sysprep was back in college on Windows 7. What am I doing wrong? Can somebody fill me on what I'm doing wrong and what steps I need to add or subtract from my process for it to let me enter a key.

It asks for the Install key before going in to audit mode and I give it one. Would clicking skip on that step solve my issue and make it ask for the windows key after I deploy the Syspreped image. Please be detailed as I have not used sysprep in years.

Thanks in advance.
    - Matt, IT Manager

:)

MindOverMatt, Nov 19, 2019
  2. John Ado Win User

SysPrep Advice

Hi Joseph,

The topic that you raised is beyond the scope of support for this site which focuses more on home and personal end users. Here's what I found about SysPrep:

However these are old articles and the process may have been changed already. You may re-post this question in

TechNet Forums
    for further assistance.

All the best.

John Ado, Nov 19, 2019
  3. LonGun Win User
    Computer wont stay on!!!

It will not beep out of your stereo speaker. It would beep from the motherboard's built-in tiny speaker (like the one on a 56K modem). The reason why I asked you to remove the MEM sticks to see if there's beeps come out from MB so that it narrows down the steps and get us one step closer to the solution.

LonGun, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Maban Win User

Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why?

windows 8 activation key

You can use a Windows key as many time as you want provided it's only on one computer at a time. If the automated activation fails, just call the number it provides. Six minutes later, you're activated again. If it asks you how many computers it's on, just say "one" and you're golden.

Maban, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why?

1. Syspreped computer is staying activated. Wont ask for key. Why? - Similar Threads - Syspreped computer staying

2. Why is my windows asking for activation key now

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why is my windows asking for activation key now: I really need help with this, I reseted my pc Becasue it was running slow and I wanted a clean start after I reseted my pc it asked for a activation key when I already entered a activation key, I used the pc like months and this happened like 1 month ago I didn’t really mind...
  3. Why is my windows asking for activation key now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my windows asking for activation key now: I really need help with this, I reseted my pc Becasue it was running slow and I wanted a clean start after I reseted my pc it asked for a activation key when I already entered a activation key, I used the pc like months and this happened like 1 month ago I didn’t really mind...
  4. Why is my windows asking for activation key now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Xbox Game Bar wont stay active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Xbox Game Bar wont stay active: Good Morning, Ive been trying to use my hotkey for the xbox game bar and noticed everytime i tab it on and close out and go back to it, it never stays on and i dont know what to do. can someone help me please...
  6. Computer wont stay Shut

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer wont stay Shut: Hi all, My PC shuts down normally, but after 5 Seconds it will start by itself this goes also fro sleep and hibernate I have tried the following methods to resolve the issue but to no avail : 1 shutdown /s /f /t 0 2 batch file of 1 above. 3clean registry 4sfc from...
  7. Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?: Recently my computer has been locking itself at random. Whenever I turn it on, it always asks for my BitLocker recovery key. Aside from this, it works fine and there's nothing else out of the ordinary that I can notice. Still, it's a pretty big inconvenience to have to input...
  8. Windows 10 wont stay activated

Windows 10 wont stay activated: I have this problem that win 10 will NOT STAY ACTIVATED I have a legit win 10 key OEM version, and windows 10 needs to reset the key EVERY DAY, its driving me nuts, I have to use the trouble shoot option to reset the digital licence, I am the administrator yada yada yada, I...
  9. Product key wont activate

Product key wont activate: Error code: RiskPolicyRejected am just getting an error code each tie I try to activate windows 365 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-wont-activate/e4a05d1e-a85b-4cb8-bfe9-96d158558f83"
  10. Windows 10 Pro - Imaging / SysPrep / Activation Key

Windows 10 Pro - Imaging / SysPrep / Activation Key: We recently took delivery of 50 new PCs with Windows 10 Pro installed. I'd like to create a single image that I can copy to all of them. We've built one PC to our requirements. I've then been reading up on SysPrep tool to strip back the Machine SID, and activation key...