Windows 10: System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)...

Discus and support System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi- I need some help. I am not sure what happened to my PC, but my recovery drive space doubled in September- I must have done something to cause it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Noelle Cardello, Oct 20, 2019.

1. System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)...

Hi-

I need some help. I am not sure what happened to my PC, but my recovery drive space doubled in September- I must have done something to cause it to double, but I don't know what I did exactly.

I am cleaning up my disc space- etc, and I want to delete the old Recovery instance/folder and create a new instance/folder.

What is the proper way to do this using Windows 10 functions (So I don't mess it up)? I tried to find a posting that would address this- but the postings I found were all about creating an INITIAL recovery drive instance, not removing old and replacing with new.

Please help me out here System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)... :)

Thanks,

TeknoDiva

:)

Noelle Cardello, Oct 20, 2019
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Not enough space on Recovery (DSystem already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)... :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DSystem already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)... :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Oct 20, 2019
  3. creating a recovery drive!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

To better understand the issue please let us know

• What exactly happens when you try to create a Recovery drive ?
    • Do you receive any error message ?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and see if It helps to resolve the issue.

Creating a recovery drive

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won't start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected, then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it's finished, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link, then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 20, 2019
  4. Rey Cam Win User

System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)...

Create a Recovery Drive?

Hi Kaspaz,

Let us first check the recovery drive creation process that you have done. Below is a step by step process of creating a recovery drive:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive
      is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create.
      A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

If you have done the same steps above and the rest of your file is still not showing.
    Please post back some details:

• Which drive are you referring to?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    • Besides creating a recovery drive, have you done any other changes on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your USB hard drive device?
    • Have you tried plugging it on another port?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer? To know these details, follow the steps below:
      • Select the Start button.
      • Type About your PC.
      • Press Enter to find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if your concern was left unresolved, kindly get back to us with the answers to our inquiry, so that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)...

1. System already set up a year ago- Want to Create new instance of Recovery Drive (D Drive)... - Similar Threads - System already set

2. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  3. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  4. recovery D: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery D: drive: does anyone know how to recover the recovery D: drive on a touch screen hp laptop computer? I reset my computer to an earlier date before I started having issues with my computer but when I did I noticed my files and folders were all out of order and in the wrong place. I...
  5. Recovery D Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery D Drive: My computer recentyly crash and I had to install a new Hard Drive. The HD I purchased was Identical to my Dell Pc and it had Windows 10 pro already installed. Everything works fine but the only thing I notice is when you open File explorer and click This PC it doesn't show...
  6. Recovery D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery D drive: I lost my Recovery D drive months ago, how do I re-install it ?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-d-drive/911120f6-73d5-4895-b65b-33ea7249c2ba
  7. Recovery D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery D drive: I have had a windows 10 for about 8 months now. It is not my main laptop and there is little stored on it. I have noticed that the RECOVERY (D:) shows 13.6 GB USED 1.06 GB FREE. This doesn't seem right. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated...
  8. Recovery D Drive

Recovery D Drive: Hello. Yesterday, there was a message stating my Recovery D drive is almost full. I don't how this happen. The only files in this drive is the Recovery folder, WindowsApp and WpSystem. Is there a way to clear the folders or compress files for space? Thank you....
  9. D drive, recovery

D drive, recovery: I formatted my D drive by mistake. How do I get it back?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive-recovery/fb51be70-f626-4817-b060-f2e3ca6368ee
  10. Recovery Drive D:

Recovery Drive D:: I had not backed up my system since I purchased Windows 8. But now I have a Windows 10 upgrade. I decided I needed to back up every thing, so I purchased USB with 64 GB on it. Went to System files where you backup and put the USB in the slot of my drive and thought it was...