Windows 10: System and compressed memory high CPU usage

Discus and support System and compressed memory high CPU usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, recently the process called System and compressed memory started acting up, when I'm browsing demanding sites CPU usage spikes to 20%-40% causing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by maxiu, Apr 8, 2016.

1. maxiu Win User

System and compressed memory high CPU usage

Hi, recently the process called System and compressed memory started acting up, when I'm browsing demanding sites CPU usage spikes to 20%-40% causing my sounds to get crackles and freeze for a split second. It's extremely annoying and was not happening before. It started this week when I came back after a few weeks and my PC updated many programs and the system too I guess. It happens when I'm using Chrome, Vivaldi, Steam, even when Gefore Experience is downloading new drivers... I don't know what this thing does and where it came from but I want it gone obviously it's not working the way it's supposed to. I haven't found much useful information on how to get rid of it and what I found either didn't apply or didn't work. Any help is much appreciated.

:)

maxiu, Apr 8, 2016
  2. DenetteBoyd-King, Apr 8, 2016
  3. System and compressed memory high CPU usage

HP pavilion Windows 10 home. The process System and compressed memory runs with high cpu usage. The computer is almost frozen and in some cases restarts. I have seen a lot of discussions on this issue. I have tried few things but whithout success. In safe
    mode the computer works well.

Is there an article that presents the steps to be followed to solve this problem?

Adrian_710, Apr 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there is a number of threads on this topic, with a number of possible fixes. There is one current one here:
    Problem with compressed memory process - Windows 10 Forums

I note you use Chrome: some have experienced problems with that and a fix/workaround has been posted which you will find details of in the above, if that's the cause of your problem.

It can be a difficult one to resolve.

Feel free to search for more by using the search box above and searching for
    System and compressed memory

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  5. maxiu Win User
    I've solved my problems so I'm posting for anyone still interested: I used Process Explorer to make a little investigation of my own and found under System's threads it's cfosspeed6.sys driver using over 20% of my CPU. Uninstalling the program solved my issues immediately. Idk if it was due to the fact that apparently I've been using old version (10.10, newest is 10.12) but I'll be checking to see if it still causes me problems on the newest version and contacting cFos support if so.

maxiu, Apr 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great- there's no one solution for this - each person has to identify what's going on. Glad you did.
    What's the program by the way?

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  7. maxiu Win User
    It's called cFosSpeed it's kind of internet optimization tool, allows you to download from torrents and play games at the same time without lagging etc.

maxiu, Apr 12, 2016
  8. MrBill Win User

Or we can fix it by going to Windows 7 instead. I have 10, I liked 10, until this mess. I did a clean install. Everything was stable. I only added the steam client, not even any games yet. Up pops the problem. Shutdown the steam client. Wait 5 minutes and boom, there is System and Compressed memory eating up 8% of my 8 core CPU. What the resource monitor shows is that it's pegging my clock speed to its over-clocked maximum even though it is only jumping cores and using around 8%. So the CPU is running wide open. 4 Ghz x 8 physical cores is a lot of heat/wasted energy.
    Say what you will, Microsoft screwed up the system and compressed memory process. It should not be cranking up CPUs to their max speed. It should not need to eat up so much CPU on lower end systems. Drivers and programs should not be breaking it. The page file system before this never had these issues. Whoops, I mean never had these issues after they fixed it in the original Windows NT. They need to fix the process so that it is robust. I'm sorry, but right now it is super fragile falling over anytime an application, or driver, is installed.

MrBill, Jun 22, 2016
  9. Win10 and the scripting on websites lags and bogs Win10 is so bad, it's horrific! The people who wrote Win really messed up, and makes people sit through a long time while it fumbled through long scripts.. Edge browser actually works the best now, regular IE browser now barely works online, it cannot handle the scripts at all. That just outright crashes in Win10. IMHO

retiredat44, Jun 23, 2016
  10. Solved: 'System and Compressed Memory Service process' High CPU Usage

After upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2016 (ok, I'm a procrastinator, alright?) I noticed a process called 'system and compressed memory' that was eating up 18-19% of my CPU non-stop. Searched and found several 'solutions', none of which worked (drivers, BIOS, Registry hacks, Settings, etc.).

I started killing processes one by one and discovered the process 'speech runtime executable' to be the culprit. When I killed it, CPU usage for 'system and compressed memory' went to zero.

However, after killing the 'speech runtime executable' I could no longer talk to Cortana (Hey Cortana). Oh well. At least I got my system back.

All I have to do is click the 'O' in Quick Launch on the Task Bar and then type or just click the Mic in the bottom right corner to talk to Cortana. Works fine. But after you talk to her that 'speech runtime executable' process shows up again and the 'system and compressed memory' process is pegged back at 19% CPU again.

Once you kill the 'speech runtime executable' process, the CPU usage for the 'system and compressed memory' process goes back to zero.

Note that this has nothing to do with the process called 'Cortana'. I left that alone.

Microsoft needs to address this major flaw with Cortana. I'm not giving up 20% of my CPU just so she can listen for commands.

Wrightclick, Aug 11, 2016
  11. maxiu Win User
    I'm willing ot bet this has nothing to do with Cortana itself but rather your mic listening the entire time -> sound card drivers. I've read a lot of threads trying to solve my problem and 99% of the time it was related to some driver.

maxiu, Aug 11, 2016
  12. I agree but I went through and made sure I had all the latest drivers. Even did a BIOS update.

It may not be Cortana itself but it is Cortana-related. Killing that 'speech runtime executable' process is a repeatable fix.

Wrightclick, Aug 11, 2016
  13. maxiu Win User

Well at least you found a fix, I feel sorry for all those who still haven't.

maxiu, Aug 11, 2016
  14. A while back, I tried to disable Cortana and it really messed up my computer... Since then I have left Cortana alone. it is in very deep and it seems cannot be disabled without big problems. IMHO. This buggy script problems really screwed up Win10 browser.

retiredat44, Aug 11, 2016
  15. maxiu Win User
    Yeah well I just turned off all the spying features during Windows 10 installation that disabled Cortana by default might want to try it *Smile

maxiu, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System and compressed memory high CPU usage - Similar Threads - System compressed memory

2. High memory and cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    High memory and cpu usage: Never had this happen to me before. My memory and cpu usage is higher than normal, task manager says that my memory usage is 60% on idle. It's usually about 20 or 30, my cpu is 10% on idle and it spikes to 60 sometimes. When I open a game or browser they get significantly...
  3. Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Some people are noticing that the System and Compressed Memory process shows High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on their Windows 11/10 systems. In this tutorial, we have a few solutions that can help fix the issue. What is System and Compressed Memory process? System and...
  4. High CPU usage by "System"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage by "System": Hi. I am experiencing this problem - my cpu is running at high percentage and the biggest contributor to that is a "System" process in the task manager. Goes up to about 40%. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks submitted by /u/Vlatot [link] [comments]...
  5. System and compressed memory high disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and compressed memory high disk usage: Hi everyone. I am currently having issues trying to diagnose the system and compressed memory bug that causes slow disk operations. I am running a computer that I have built myself. i5 6600k, 16 GB of RAM, 2 SSD and 1 HDD. The slow operations only happen on the HDD. I can...
  6. "System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage

"System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage: This is a problem that has been going on for about a week now and I've tried A LOT of solutions. This started when I wanted to play Battlefield 1 beta and it said I needed to update my driver, my computer had 0 issues prior to this after the install system and compressed...
  7. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  8. System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory

System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory: Several problems are happening. I don’t know if the extent to which they are related but here they are: Earlier today, I attempted, but failed, to install the latest update for the AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC). In one place, a message said that it had installed...
  9. High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory: Hello everyone , well, for a while I 'm having problems with locking while I surf the internet after five minutes browsing the facebook the browser begins to catch and is impossible to do anything , I noticed that this occurs when the system and compressed memory reaches 15%...
  10. System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage

System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage: Hi! So my friend has a PC with Windows 10 (installed from USB-Stick with the WindowsMediaCreationTool). It ran fine for about two weeks, which is when the problem started: The "System and compressed memory" and "System interrupts" processes taking up *a lot* of CPU time even...